PDA

View Full Version : AC's "Summer of 6.8" Project

Army Chief
29 May 2010, 08:58
With summer about to be in full swing, it occurred to me that it might be interesting to share a bit about what some of us might have underway with respect to new builds, purchase plans, scheduled training or other relevant projects.

For me, the choice was an easy one, as I've been seriously considering a 6.8 SPC project for at least the past two or three years. Proving that good things do come to those who wait, after months of planning, research, coordination and gathering various parts, I am happy to report that the result finally cleared my workbench as of a few days ago. While, as a rule, I tend not to provide too many insights into the contents of my gun cabinet, I will be making an exception for this rifle because I feel compelled to draw attention to some of the more noteworthy components that have gone into building it.

Specifics will doubtless be highlighted in future posts, but by way of introduction, the "Summer of 6.8" project will see me putting a new caliber through its paces (6.8 SPC), evaluating some of the accessories unique to the new round (PRI magazines, etc. (http://www.pri-mounts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PRI&Category_Code=6_8_MM)), pressing a new trigger into service (Wilson Combat TTU (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Tactical-Trigger-Unit-Single-Stage-Semi-Auto/productinfo/TR-TTU)), wringing out a new mid-gas match upper (Rainier Arms UltraMatch Elite 16 (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1808)) and testing several other components which will be heading to the range with me for the very first time. It's been a long road to this point, but as you have likely surmised by now, I have carefully avoided taking any shortcuts.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/images/ac/AC001.jpg

Consider this post as something of a placeholder, then, until I have the opportunity to add further impressions, range results, and other details throughout the summer. Although the thread will be anchored at WeVo (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/), I will be adding mirror posts at M4CN (http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php) and 68F (http://68forums.com/forums/index.php) for those who also might frequent these two complementary resources.

So ... that's my summer 2010 diversion. Yours might not be quite this overreaching or overtly ambitious, but I would be greatly interested in hearing what other members might have in the offing for this season. You are welcome to add to this thread, or if you prefer, you can always start one of your own.

AC

Optimus Prime
29 May 2010, 09:31
Prepare for a green wave of envy with that lower alone.

I think I'm going to move ahead with the Midlength super-light project I've been contemplating, especially since BCM released their light profile barreled midlength upper assembly a few weeks back.

Army Chief
29 May 2010, 18:27
The lower is doubtless the one component that will generate the most questions and comments, but the real star of this build is the new Rainier Arms UltraMatch Elite 16 upper. Granted, there is still much work to do out on the firing line, but in terms of component selection, attention to detail and overall build quality, this UltraMatch Elite has impressed me greatly -- which is really saying something, considering that my idea of a solid "baseline" gun is a stainless Noveske.

I remain a loyal and enthusiastic Noveske customer, but I've got to admit that at first blush, the UM Elite has equalled, and on a few subjective points, surpassed the comparable Noveske offering. That's not bad news for Noveske, but rather, very good news for anyone who appreciates premium quality rifles. Rainier is so quiet about these uppers that they are easily overlooked, but I suspect they won't remain that way for very much longer.

AC

Optimus Prime
29 May 2010, 21:16
I'm definitely looking forward to more pics of the gun. It sure looks pretty good so far.

GriffonSec
29 May 2010, 23:14
Wow, and to think I was tickled about my 6.8 SBR build. In that, I'll join your summer of 6.8.

That rifle is simply leave your wife on Christmas morning fine.

Well done.

Fred_G
30 May 2010, 08:51
I have ordered my own 6.8 upper from Rock River. Not as nice as yours, but I am greatly looking forward to it.

Jerry R
30 May 2010, 15:50
AC, absolutely fantastic build - not sure anything will compare. [wow]

Since I believe you intended for us to also speak to what we are doing, my "Summer of 6.8" has started like this:

After assembling a dozen or so AR's over the last few decades (all 5.56), this time I thought about what I would want in a 6.8 before I started.

a) Top quality parts
b) Piston instead of DI - with multiple positions "just in case" a suppressor might wander into the scene
c) Quality furniture that I was already familiar with
d) 16" barrel - not doing SBR just yet.

I looked at what components were available, created my usual Excel sheet with parts, supplier, and pricing; poured over the details for several weeks, then bought an LWRC M6A3. It has everything I had on my want list, and I was able to get it new for $2,149. My parts list was running close to $2K so it became a no-brainer for me.

I have a Leupold 1.5x5 laying in a box, so I've ordered a 5/8" QD Riser to get the ocular above the rear sight, and make it easy to swap between it and the EOTech EXPS3-0 and 3x Magnifier (on order but not in yet). Both of those are QD direct from EOTech.

I'm thinking a nice medium power scope, an RDS with flip-to-side magnifier, and really good irons from the factory will make this an extremely versatile carbine; and 6.8 provides plenty of thump on the terminal end. And, with all the optics on QD mounts, you can pick the tool for the scenario.

I have started a set of photographs, and may consider a "User Review" when everything has arrived and been assembled. I have zeroed the irons, and I really like the 6.8 (and the LWRC) a very sweet shooting combination. I just wish the ammunition wasn't averaging $1 per shot.

Again --- Congrats on a superior build !!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/LWRCI%2068-SPC/IMG_1156300DPISize1024.jpg

Army Chief
30 May 2010, 19:33
I'm encouraged to see others moving in the direction of some kind of 6.8 SPC capability, though there is surely nothing to lament about starting off with a more reasonable investment. My "all in" approach is simply the result of the fact that I've been in the planning mode for so long.

Although it may seem a bit much to hope for any kind of official adoption, I remain optimistic that the cartridge will continue to attract new adherents, and reach a point where the economy of scale can help reduce ammunition costs for training loads. If/when we do reach that point, the ballistic potential of the round as an alternative to the more widely-available 7.62 (and the larger and heavier platforms that go along with it) should help secure a permanent place for these intermediate power rifles.

Aside from the costs associated with feeding one, the advantages of the 6.8 AR would seem to make it an obvious choice; especially now that we're seeing more standardization in the basic specifications for the round, and more diversity in the commercial loads which are available.

AC

Army Chief
30 May 2010, 19:35
I have started a set of photographs, and may consider a "User Review" when everything has arrived and been assembled.

Great post, Jerry -- please do!!

AC

rob_s
31 May 2010, 07:00
I've been toying with 6.8 for a while, both in my head and in actual guns. This thread inspired me to un-f*** mine last night so I did. I had a barrel nut that just WOULD NOT align with any slot, a first for me, so I took the dremel to the offending tooth and got it squared away. Also gave me a chance to re-align the Blackheart Intl. 12.0 tube on the gun. It's a 12.5" Cardinal barrel with Armalite .308 A2 FH and some generic upper with an RRA 6.8 BCG. I had in my hands at one time a Noveske 12.5" stainless-barrel, switchblock-equipped upper but once I had it and started adding up the total cost to completion and then factored in how often (meaning, almost never) it would get shot I sent the upper back. It was gorgeous, just more than I could justify for my purposes.

With the upper I have now the BHI tube is T&E, the barrel was one of the ones Cardinal was selling off at the end, the FH, gas tube, and gas block were about all I spent money on, other than the BCG. The CH and upper were laying around the house doing nothing. I'll put my TA33R8 on top and put the whole thing on one of my Colt SBR lowers and when the weather cools off a bit again in a few months I'll go shoot a hog with it. If I can get the upper to run well I'll actually be able to sell the AK and go back to being one-platform.

Other than that my summer plans actually involve selling some personal guns in order to have some cashflow to outfit some T&E guns and new theory projects. I have a Spike's and two BCMs (a 1.45" middy and 16" lightweight middy) in the safe to T&E and am working up a lightweight kid/woman gun that will be the basis for a brake/FH-combo muzzle device comparison as well. Need another compact ACOG for the kid/woman gun and want to pick up a couple of Aimpoints in a few flavors for the others, as well as offset the cost of the XPS I already bought for the 14.5" middy.

Finally, handguns. I have been saying for almost a year that I need to refocus my efforts on handgun shooting and I need to get serious about it. I just turned down an article on a Baer carbine because I simply don't have time to do it right with the other carbine projects I have going AND my need to get my handgun shooting back up to speed. I'm going to be ordering a couple of different configurations of sights for the G19s, hopefully get my second Boresight Solutions pistol back, and pick up at least one more G19 and possibly a 26 (not sure the 19 will fit in the new ride). The new Boresight gun is less of a reduction than the one I have now and whichever I shoot better will determine the route I go on all future Glocks. I sold three ~$2k 1911s to get back into the Glocks so I should be able to "afford" at least 6 of them after customizing and accessorizing (grip reductions, sights, holsters, mags, etc.).

Fred_G
1 June 2010, 07:53
Well, I ordered my 6.8 upper from RRA last week. Was not really reading the fine print when I ordered, got an email saying it would be 30 to 60 days before it shipped. Called them up today, thinking I could get an estimate on delivery. Nope, 30 to 60 days Sir.

I just assumed they had fully assembled 6.8mm uppers ready to box up and ship out. Ah well, got to read the fine print when you order stuff. So, I will get my upper in 3 weeks or 7 weeks.

Well, gives me plenty of time to buy accessories and save up for ammo. [:)]

Looking forward to the 'Summer of 6.8' just hope mine is not the 'Fall of 6.8'!! I hate waiting.

TripleBravo
1 June 2010, 10:37
Well AC...I need to make my summer a "Summer of 6.8"...I built this prototype to test out the 6.8, but haven't had the opportunity to really work with it yet.

The build is based around a 6.8 SPC II chambered 1:11 twist mid-length gas system 16" barrel in a "rigid" contour from the good people at Ballistic Advantage.

It also features a Daniel Defense Lite Rail 14.0 with some Gear Sector accessories and YHM QDS flip up sights.

The upper rides a Spike's Tactical lower with a Magpul UBR to ballance the weight of the front end.

I'm using Barrett 30 round magazines, but would like to try some PRI 25 rounders.

I need to add a Harris Bi-pod and optics in order to get it into the configuration I envisioned when I started, but I can't seem to make up my mind on what optic to run. I'm leaning towards a 1-4x for its versitility, but haven't settled on which specific scope yet.

Like I said, I've got to spend some time this summer finishing up the build, and really running it through it's paces. Thanks for reminding me of one more thing to put on the "to-do" list, AC!

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/Gear%20Sector/hs-lightmount-qd01.jpg

Jerry R
3 June 2010, 16:42
Triple Bravo - I'm definitely lovin' some of that light mount !!! Nice and tight to the rail.

Lastrites
5 June 2010, 08:55
I've been in the 6.8 game for a couple of years, it is amazing how inherently accurate this round seems to be.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t274/Tomb007/P2160058.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t274/Tomb007/?action=view&current=P2160058.jpg)

Bison 18"

Noveske Lower

TripleBravo
5 June 2010, 11:49
Triple Bravo - I'm definitely lovin' some of that light mount !!! Nice and tight to the rail.

I don't want to take too much of a tangent, but it's some of the great Gear Sector stuff:

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/Gear%20Sector/lightmount01.jpg

Army Chief
5 June 2010, 11:57
Gear Sector products are appropriate in any discussion as far as I am concerned, and I'm moving in much the same direction -- just waiting for the SureFire Scout mount to be released.

Aside from this, I have really enjoyed how this thread has developed, and seeing how other members have chosen to undertake 6.8 projects of their own. Am entertaining guests over the weekend, but will do what I can to get more details on my own build posted this week.

AC

Fred_G
5 June 2010, 16:33
Nice looking guns so far. Latrites, what glass do you have on yours?

Lastrites
6 June 2010, 05:21
It's a Nikon Monarch seems to be very suitable for a hunting type rifle. With a couple of kids at home I unfortuantely am handicapped as I don't have an unlimited firearms budget as some seem to protray, God bless them who can. I just try to do my best within reason.

Fred_G
6 June 2010, 07:23
Looks like a decent line. I saw several scopes in the Monarch line ranging from $380 and up. I plan on a scope later in the summer for mine.

Fred_G
15 June 2010, 17:57
Got my Rock River 6.8 upper in today! Unfortunately, 6.8 ammo is not sold here, but UPS should be dropping me off a supply of it Wednesday. If anyone would enlighten me on how to post photos, I will post up a 'review'. I do have a question, there is some wear on the bottom of the bolt. It is a little uneven. My 5.56 upper with several hundred round through it does not have wear in this area.

Fred_G
16 June 2010, 07:09
Got a reply from RRA this morning. The wear on the bolt carrier is because the polish them. So it supposed to be like that. LOL, I was really just checking on RRA's customer service. [crazy] Should have ammo in today!

Just got back from a quick trip to the indoor range. Gun shoots very well, sites were very close, only a couple of clicks, and it is good to go! Does kick a little bit more than the 5.56, but not bad. All I really noticed was it was a little harder to keep the gun on target during rapid fire.