PDA

View Full Version : Redi-Mag vs Redi-Mod

Broad Arrow
30 May 2010, 04:50
The only difference that I can see is that the Redi-Mod had the unnecessary areas cut out thus saving weight. I don't know how much though. My questions are-

1. Is the $90 ($174.95 Redi-Mod/$84.95 Redi-Mag QA) price premium of the Redi-Mod worth the diference in weight?
2. You're already carrying 60 rounds and not to mention other accessories that you put on your rifles, can you still notice the weight difference between the 2?

Thanks.

rob_s
30 May 2010, 05:22
I own several examples of each, and have used them for at a minimum several hundred rounds each with multiple manipulations and reloads.

Two things.

First, there is more to the BFG modification than just removing material. They incorporate different (better?) springs and they use a nitride final finish as well as rounding the sharp edges. The angled cut at the bottom also means you can see your magwell which you cannot with the standard Redi-Mag.

Second, the weight issue is still a real one. Ounces become pounds, pounds become pain. I believe the Redi-Mod is something that is often worth adding the weight for, but see no advantage to the standard version over the BFG version other than cost.

In other words, the lighter solution is worth the extra money for me, but the weight is not the only advantage.

Stickman
30 May 2010, 23:27
Well worded Rob, I am in complete agreement.

Broad Arrow
31 May 2010, 05:32
Thank you for taking time to clearly explain it to me. Now I understand why it cost so much :)

rob_s
31 May 2010, 06:42
If you wanted to do it on the cheap, I would buy a standard model and cut off the bottom at the angle. I think that's the single most important improvement. If you go that route, be careful to also round off all the sharp edges. You're going to need to refinish the thing when you are done though, and for that you could use anything from Krylon to any one of a number of fancier options. Be careful what you choose though as they ARE prone to rust. I had three of mine out in the garage to take some pictures a few weeks ago, left them there, and they all have a light dusting of rust on any exposed metal.

Mind you, this garage is capable of growing mold on steel and causing rust on fabric it's so damn hot and humid, but it's a great testing house for worst-case rust potential. [BD]

Broad Arrow
31 May 2010, 17:18
Thanks for this info.I always thought that Redi-Mags/Mod were made of aluminum therefore rust-free. Another reason to go with Redi-Mod since I'm clumsy with tools :)

Keebsley
31 May 2010, 20:51
I bought the regular Redi-Mag and took the dremel tool to it after marking it out with a marker. Made the cuts and t hen blasted it with black brownells alumihyde. Some edges are still a bit sharp but still cheaper and got the weight savings without the extra $90. Is everything else worth the $90? Not to me they weren't but it's up to you to decide. Either way you can't go wrong.

Broad Arrow
1 June 2010, 17:11
Thanks Sir but I'm not quite the handyman. Instead of enhancing the Ride-Mag, I might end up ruining it. But as you mentioned, $90 seems a bit much :(

Keebsley
1 June 2010, 21:41
That's why you get in good with your gunsmith. Buy him lunch and he'll do the Dremeling for you. :D That's what I did with mine. :D

Broad Arrow
2 June 2010, 16:24
That's why you get in good with your gunsmith. Buy him lunch and he'll do the Dremeling for you. :D That's what I did with mine. :D

very neat trick :D