PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Free Float Hand Guard. Good or Goblin?

Fred_G
9 June 2010, 17:50
Ok got a S&W M&P 15 with the standard plastic hand guard. Been looking at the free float ones, I see they are supposed to be more accurate. But, most of them are around $200+. So, If I decide to upgrade to one, is something like this worth the $60? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=ARR-390

Or would I be better off keeping the stock ones and buying one of the more expensive ones later when I have the cash. My goal is of course to improve the accuracy of the gun.

Thanks for you time and advice.

Uglyduck
9 June 2010, 18:34
Or would I be better off keeping the stock ones and buying one of the more expensive ones later when I have the cash.

Sounds like you already have a good idea of what to do [:)]

5pins
9 June 2010, 18:51
How inaccurate is your gun right now?

rob_s
10 June 2010, 03:48
How inaccurate is your gun right now?

This is good, but let's take it further.

Fred, what 5pins is getting at is the deeper issue of why you want the FF rail system. Many people rush right out and start strapping new bits and pieces on their guns when what they should be doing is rushing right out and shooting the piss out of them. Something I wrote on the topic is here (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/126721.html).

That said, the first response is correct in that you would be better served waiting until you can afford a quality rail system. The good news is that during all this waiting you have time to get out and shoot the gun, get some instruction, etc. FWIW, I believe the red dot sight, specifically an Aimpoint, to be the best, first, mod on any carbine.

Fred_G
10 June 2010, 07:28
Thanks for the info. I ran across this while just looking at rail systems, because well, I like the way they look. But most are around $200 or more, so it is nothing I would rush into. And you are also right, the weak link in accuracy with this gun is me. When I first saw the cheap fore end, I was thinking that would buy a lot of bullets. [:)]

My first mod was Trijicon front and rear site parts. Am getting around 3.5" 30 round groups at 25 yards. Would have been 3", but had one shot go a little wild. And yes, 25 yards is not long range by any means, but it is the longest range at the local indoor shooting range. Hell, it is humid and hot here, and the indoor place has one heck of an A/C!

I think the FF setup is something I will get one day. As far as accuracy, I don't think it will make much if any difference in my accuracy. I don't really put any stress on the barrel in any normal shooting.

Thanks for the input.

OfcPowder
10 June 2010, 10:58
It also depends on your purpose for the gun. If you are doing accuracy shots from great distances or matches, then a FF system makes sense. If you are using it for fun and have no reason to mount lights, lasers, bipods, etc... then there's not a lot of purpose. If it's a home defense gun, a light makes sense, and possibly VFG if that works for you... but you could go with a set of Magpul MOE handgaurds for $30, get some of their rail sections to mount your accessories, and then have money left over to buy the light/laser, etc. I second the idea of a red dot, especially for low light situations. But, the railed FF systems do look badass... you can never count out the CDI factor!

ram2850
13 June 2010, 18:18
fred-g; I saw a nice free flote rai , from spikes tactical at aimsurplus.com for 172.00 free shipping. if you still interested. I saw it yesterday and they still had a couple left. for the price they sure look nice.

rob_s
13 June 2010, 19:08
fred-g; I saw a nice free flote rai , from spikes tactical at aimsurplus.com for 172.00 free shipping. if you still interested. I saw it yesterday and they still had a couple left. for the price they sure look nice.

I would wait on the slim version of that rail to come out. I have about 1k rounds on one of the rails you mention and IMHO it is way too fat even with ladder covers.

Paulo_Santos
13 June 2010, 19:19
For approximately $125, you can get the YHM Diamond series. Very good handguard for the price.

rob_s
14 June 2010, 06:26
For approximately $125, you can get the YHM Diamond series. Very good handguard for the price.

I have several issues with these rails, not the least of which is the obtrusive width. AT 2.50" they are the widest rails out there and are 1/2"+/- larger than all of the better quality options.

IMHO it's better to shoot the gun, establish if you even need or want a rail at all, and then spend the money on products that are less about looks and simply having and more about functionality.

The Troy Extreme, VTAC and standard versions, are under $200 and IMHO far better than the YHM.

Paulo_Santos
14 June 2010, 08:25
I have several issues with these rails, not the least of which is the obtrusive width. AT 2.50" they are the widest rails out there and are 1/2"+/- larger than all of the better quality options.

IMHO it's better to shoot the gun, establish if you even need or want a rail at all, and then spend the money on products that are less about looks and simply having and more about functionality.

The Troy Extreme, VTAC and standard versions, are under $200 and IMHO far better than the YHM.

I definitely agree that the Troy TRX are better, matter of fact, for the price, the Troy TRX are probably the best rails available, period.

As far as the width, it never has been a factor to me when choosing a handguard. Either way, I just threw the YHM out there as another option because obviously money was the issue.

Fred_G
14 June 2010, 08:33
Thanks for the info. After placing an ammo order the other day, I checked my bank account, and it told me no more AR toys for a while. The good news is my 6.8 SPC upper should be here Tuesday!

Stickman
14 June 2010, 09:18
Been looking at the free float ones, I see they are supposed to be more accurate.

Free floating rails do not make a weapon more accurate. What they do is keep pressure from the barrel, which is nice if you wrap your sling very tightly when you are shooting, or if you are pressing against a barricade or something similar. If you are not doing these things, don't expect to see a difference. Even if you do these things, you might not see much if any difference.

FF rails offer the opportunity for a weapon to retain its accuracy, but its something that IMHO is taken out of context for most shooters.

Fred_G
14 June 2010, 09:34
But they might make me look more accurate. Or like an idiot with more money than range time. LOL Maybe next year after my refund check...

70Karmin
14 June 2010, 13:48
Free floating rails do not make a weapon more accurate. What they do is keep pressure from the barrel, which is nice if you wrap your sling very tightly when you are shooting, or if you are pressing against a barricade or something similar. If you are not doing these things, don't expect to see a difference. Even if you do these things, you might not see much if any difference.

FF rails offer the opportunity for a weapon to retain its accuracy, but its something that IMHO is taken out of context for most shooters.

Stickman nailed it.

I have both types of hand guards on some of my AR's, had to have atleast one set on a carbine to be tacticool at the range. As for accuracy i can't tell the difference if any. The right ammo and much practice will do more for accuracy than anything else. My favorite handguards are the old triangle ones

Boss Hogg
21 June 2010, 05:57
Quite honestly I find Yankee Hill's customizable free-float tubes to be my preferred setup. their rails are too wide but the tubes are fine, and they're a great value. I have several LaRue rails, a DD M4 12", VTAC TRX, and a Vltor VIS.