PDA

View Full Version : Build How to?

Jim1973
10 June 2010, 01:32
Is there a post or guide detailing what is involved with building your own AR platform?

I am thinking of building instead of buying something off the shelf but I know absolutely nothing about what is involved.

I am assuming that laws governing which options you have vary state to state but aren't there some basic laws that everyone has to follow such as a serial number?

Am I allowed to purchase everything I need over the web or do I have to go thru a shop or someone with an FFL?

Is building your own generally cheaper compared to a like rifle off the shelf?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Army Chief
10 June 2010, 04:19
Is there a post or guide detailing what is involved with building your own AR platform?

We've discussed it, and have tried to recapture various tutorials that some of our staffers have done in the past, but for the moment we don't have a WeVo-specific build guide. Fortunately, there are some other resources on the web that can help, including the tutorial section on AR15.com (such as this guide (http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/) on lower receiver assembly) and the online video series (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/How_to_Build_An_AR-15_Video) from Brownells.

I am thinking of building instead of buying something off the shelf but I know absolutely nothing about what is involved.

The level of difficulty associated with building is not especially high, but there are a few things to watch out for, so it is a good idea to have some sort of reference available to help guide you along. Also, depending upon how complete of a project you wish to undertake, you will find that certain special tools are required -- barrel wrenches, stock wrenches, etc. -- while others, such as punches and roll pin guides, are strongly recommended.

I am assuming that laws governing which options you have vary state to state but aren't there some basic laws that everyone has to follow such as a serial number?

Yes, and these pertain mostly to (a) the lower receiver, and (b) the dimensions of the overall configuration. Whether assembled or not, the lower receiver is considered "the weapon" in the eyes of the law, and you will have to buy this from, or through, a FFL dealer. As long as you plan to use a 16" barrel, or longer -- or one that has been permanently-modified to reach the 16" minimum length with a welded flash suppressor -- you shouldn't run afoul of Federal law with respect to dimensionality. Since it isn't immediately apparent where you live, we cannot really address any restrictions that may be in effect in your state.

Am I allowed to purchase everything I need over the web or do I have to go thru a shop or someone with an FFL?

As stated, you will be able to buy everything online, but the lower receiver must be sent to a firearms dealer, so you can complete the necessary paperwork to bring it home. Everything else can be shipped to your door.

Is building your own generally cheaper compared to a like rifle off the shelf?

Yes and no -- but mostly no. The problem with any build project is that you will inevitably want to use the best possible components, and those will add up quickly. It is certainly possible to use inferior components and save money, but you won't be content with the outcome in most cases. The other thing to consider is that there are some excellent budget-friendly rifles on the market right now from companies like BCM and Daniel Defense, and both meet what I would call a "best quality" standard. It would be a challenge to build a better (or comparable) rifle for the same money, but you can probably get close enough to make it worth your while, if you really want to undertake a build project.

Again, the benefit of this approach is probably less one of cost-savings, and more one of knowing that you have a premium-quality rifle that took shape under your own hand on your own workbench. You also benefit from having total control over the final configuration of the rifle, since you aren't buying a stock configuration and discarding/changing out parts to suit your needs during the initial set-up.

Where are you, and what are you looking to build?

AC

Quib
10 June 2010, 04:58
One point I might add, which I feel is a plus point to building a weapon verses purchasing one, is the builder gets a more intricate look into the inner workings of the weapon.

As Army Chief mentioned, you the assembler/builder have control over the quality and source of the components used to build the weapon. The owner takes on the roll of not only the “Assembler”, he also takes on the roll of "Quality Assurance”.

This “BIY” approach to a first AR15, if supplemented by the correct sources for guidance during the build process, can give the first-time AR15 owner a much more detailed look into how the weapon functions, and the interaction of the individual parts. The “DIYer” I believe, walks away from the build process with a much deeper, hands-on understanding of how the weapon functions.

This is something that a person new to AR’s who purchases a factory assembled weapon, may take months or years to understand or get first hand experience with.

Timberwolf
10 June 2010, 05:07
On a How to Build, go to Brownells, as well as AR15.com, they have a vid on the build.

www.ar15builder.com

sjohnny
10 June 2010, 05:49
Again, the benefit of this approach is probably less one of cost-savings, and more one of knowing that you have a premium-quality rifle that took shape under your own hand on your own workbench. You also benefit from having total control over the final configuration of the rifle, since you aren't buying a stock configuration and discarding/changing out parts to suit your needs during the initial set-up.

I just built my first AR. What Army Chief posted here was a big part of the reason I chose to build rather than buy. It actually did come out a little less expensive than if I had bought one outright but that wasn't the reason I wanted to build it myself. Part of it was that I didn't have the money all at once so I was able to space out the purchase of parts over about a year and pay cash for the whole thing (consequently being able to get better quality parts than I would have been able to afford buying it all at once). Part of it was that I enjoy making my own stuff. The link to the arfcom how to and the Brownells video that Army Chief posted were a big help to me. There is also a lot of information here and on a couple of other forums.

I enjoyed mine and am looking forward to starting on another as soon as I get a couple of other projects done and get some more cash scraped together.

Quib
10 June 2010, 07:13
I might add, under our "DOWNLOADS" tab above, I have the Army -23&P Maintenance Manual available for downloading.

This TM is one of a few very good sources of tech info for those interested in a "BIY" weapon.

niner
10 June 2010, 07:20
This is what I get when I click on the "DOWNLOADS" tab above.

"We are sorry, but the downloads section is under construction. Please come back later."

Jim1973
10 June 2010, 08:48
Awesome, thanks for all the links. I will go to the suggested sites and then decide if I want to build. I am pretty sure I will build one some day but I may go ahead and buy an off the shelf model just to get acquainted with the platform again.

I currently live in Washington State, so will have to check out all the local laws for a build.

Again, thanks!

Jim

Quib
10 June 2010, 10:11
This is what I get when I click on the "DOWNLOADS" tab above.

"We are sorry, but the downloads section is under construction. Please come back later."

Below that message should be a menu and under "Category" at the bottom you should see "Manuals".

Click on "Manuals".

ETA: You might try clicking on my Avatar as well. That will take you to my profile where I believe you can find the .pdf files I have available for viewing/downloading.