PDA

View Full Version : Emergency field repair kits

Jammer2
10 June 2010, 14:11
I'm a thoroughly satisfied owner of 2 Charles Daly D-M4's as well as a couple of S&W M&P15's. My only complaint is that I've become somewhat clumsy and near sighted in my "golden years" and have had occaissions to lose a spring or a pin from time to time when I have disassembled the M4's. My question for anyone here is: Which of the field repair parts kits available today have given the best service for an active shooter? I just ordered a DPMS kit to have one on hand, but I'd like to have a kit to keep in each rifle case so that I'm never caught off-guard in a crisis situation. Does anyone here have experience with this issue and have developed a preference for any certain brand? I'd appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. :confused:

Quib
10 June 2010, 15:05
The Bushmaster Kits have served me well.

On a similar note, here's some parts storage advice.....http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1690-SPARE-PARTS-STORAGE

Eric
10 June 2010, 19:30
It's great to have a complete bolt carrier assembly on hand, especially if attending a class. Some of the more commonly lost/worn/damaged parts are contained within the assembly and it can be dropped into a rifle to get it back up ASAP.

When I think field repair kit, my belief is that most folks will have minimal tools on hand and probably no access to punches or hammers, so roll pins and parts held in by roll pins are not listed. At a minimum, I would have:
extractor
extractor spring w/insert
extractor pin
firing pin
firing pin retaining pin
gas rings (set of 3)
hammer/trigger pin
cam pin

It can also be handy to have a complete lower parts kit available.

Jammer2
10 June 2010, 21:53
Thanks for the info guys! I'll be putting together a comprehensive emergency kit for each carbine. I had not considered just having an extra bolt assembly on hand for each one, but it is a great idea. No muss, no fuss... drop it in and be good to go quickly. The storage container is a good idea for the home so I think I'll go ahead and assemble one of those too; although my primary concern was a failure in the field under SHTF circumstances. Given the current state of emotionally volatile feelings here in Texas, nobody can be certain what the near future could bring us in terms of self defense. Although I'm a CHL and always carry a 1911 with 2 extra mags, I have started keeping an M4 with 3 mags in my car as my backup weapon. Ever since the Border Patrol agent shooting of that teenage Mexican National on the border last week, there has been a noticeable increase in gang activity across my area. The ability to quickly repair a weapon when away from home could prove to be a life or death event, so your advice was gratefully received.

Quib
11 June 2010, 03:26
The Parts Storage example might be too big for your intended purposes (SHTF), but you can easily scale it down with a smaller, similar type container which could hold a list of items such as those above given in Eric's example. My local WalMart has an assortment of smaller containers that would fit quite nicely in a rifle bag side pocket.

The container shown in my Parts Storage example is part of the gear I load up when I head out to the range. It sits in the back of my truck with the rest of my gear, and has saved my butt on a few occasions.