PDA

View Full Version : Need help selecting an optic

ram2850
13 June 2010, 18:49
Hello everyone, I would like to get some feed back regarding a ta11d acog. my question is. how good is the eye relief on it, which color seems to be the brightest of them all, follow by which rectical seems to work the best in terms of fast recognition. Also if you had to compare between the ta11 and the ta33, which is only .5 difference ,which would be the better optic of the two.. thanks Ijust want to get some good advice before spending 1200 bucks.

Paulo_Santos
13 June 2010, 19:05
For me, the extra .5 magnification is not worth the extra weight of the TA11. Eye relief is pretty much the same. I've tried the horseshoe, crosshairs, and chevron and the horseshoe is the fastest and just as accurate as the crosshair reticle. Personally, I'd get the TA33 with the horseshoe reticle in either green or red. You should be able to pick one up for $800.00.

Now if you throw the TA31 into the mix, it becomes more complicated because the TA31 is almost as light as the TA33 and has a much wider field of view, but it has shorter eye relief and it is more expensive.

In order of preferance:
1. TA31 or TA33.
2. TA11 a distance 2nd.

TehLlama
14 June 2010, 14:54
If fast recognition is important, and a BDC reticle isn't a must-have, then the TR24G comes to mind as a fantastic options as well - Right in that price range with a quality LT/ADM/Bobro mount.
The eye relief of the TA31 is a love or hate. I love it, but those with imperfect eyesight sometimes don't.

ram2850
15 June 2010, 15:51
Thanks TehLlama. I have looked at the tr24G and they seem pretty good, I just want something more compacted, the tr24g would look good on a 20" rifle though. I did look at the ta31, but the eye relief is less then the ta11. but since mr paulosantos, tells me that the eye relief between the ta11,and ta33 is basically the same I'm going to compare the 2 of them. Any more advice is greatly appreciated.

John Hwang
19 June 2010, 11:39
There is a noticeable difference in eye relief between the TA31 & TA11 for me. I prefer the TA11 on most guns unless I'm trying to save as much weight as possible then I choose the TA31.

TehLlama
19 June 2010, 17:55
I'm curious what's the actual difference in weight/bulk between the TA11 and TR24 is, but I'm sure the TA11 comes out about as far ahead as the TA31 does over the TA11, but the eye relief really is a make or break on the TA31.

If you're not shooting past 250m much, then the TA33 is really going to make the most sense, with the LT mount it's a very solid optic.