PDA

View Full Version : Magpul?

Jim1973
19 June 2010, 19:06
Does Magpul make their own rifles and sell them?

I seen the SW MOE , SW M&P-15 and Bushmaster ACR today and I guess I never realized that magpul licenses their designs out for production but doesn't produce any themselves?

Thanks for the education.

Jim

Aragorn
19 June 2010, 22:43
No, Magpul does not manufacture their own production weapons. It's been speculated that Magpul may not have the capacity to build complete weapons in house. Also I think Magpul lacks the appropriate license, which is why Remington/Bushmaster produce the ACR. The S&W MOE is basically just an M&P-15 loaded with MOE furniture. Even the Magpul lowers are from Noveske.

Jim1973
19 June 2010, 23:06
Excelent, thanks. I think I will pick up the m&p 15 and add furniture as I go.

Jim

federalist22
20 June 2010, 06:06
If you can find the M&P15 ORC model you can get the Magpul MOE kit from Brownells and you can build the M&P MOE model for about $300 cheaper than you can buy it. This is my dad's rifle--finally got him interested in ARs this year. This came with standard black furniture at around $750+tax in Texas (so about 8 and some change), but he upgraded it with a MOE kit (OD Green), MVG, BCM Gunfighter, Gear Sector ASP sling, and DD ambi sling mount (the last two were spare parts I sent him) . The optic is the Burris AR-332--he likes it so far and he can group 55gr FMJ at 100yds in 1.5". If you look around some you can find some S&W M&P15 deals where they have the MOE pkgs on the rifle already and they even have offers for 5-6 free PMAGS with them. The M&P15 rifles with the PMAG offers come with PMAGs with the M&P logo stamped into them. Check out the bottom of the mag here:

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv358/federalist22/test/GetAttachment-8.jpg

Army Chief
20 June 2010, 12:47
Even the Magpul lowers are from Noveske.

A quick point of clarification is probably in order here. The 125 Magpul MPLA lowers which have been released to the public as of this writing were indeed released as complete weapon systems by Noveske Rifleworks; however, the lowers were not produced by NRW.

MPL series billet blanks were actually subcontracted, with all subsequent machining being completed by Magpul in-house. It would probably be most accurate to observe that the company does possess the requisite capability -- and licensing -- to build a completed rifle if that were their desire; however, they are obviously not set up for mass production. Given the company's commitment to innovation and prototyping, I don't see them trading the "R&D foundry" approach for full-scale production anytime soon.

As has been reported many times previously, the reason Magpul never saw fit to release the MPL lowers for direct sale had more to do with insurance restrictions than anything else; this is why Noveske (as an established firearms manufacturer) has served as the sole-source conduit for the few which have made their way into private hands.

AC

Aragorn
20 June 2010, 15:53
Thank you for the clarification and correction AC.

Rossignol
8 August 2010, 13:37
I think its Bushmaster that has the ACR designed around Magpul furniture. As a finished product, rather expensive though.

willardcw4
8 August 2010, 14:32
The ACR was designed by Magpul (original name Mosada).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJhPMIVgF6c

The design was licensed to Remington (for the military) and Bushmaster (for civilians) for full scale production.