PDA

View Full Version : pof input

hk665
24 January 2008, 16:57
I'm thinking of buying a pof for my first rifle. Anyone own one or fired one. Any feedback will be appreciated.

24 January 2008, 17:07
I have 2 POF rifles. Haven't shot all that much thru them, only 400 rounds or so thru each. So far, no problem to report. I do like them very much.
I know TigerStripe also is a POF owner, and he has shot a lot more thru his. He can tell you more when he gets on.

TigerStripe
24 January 2008, 18:21
As 12131 said, I'm a POF owner and lover. I'll start off with the negatives. The original Predator rail is extemely wide. So wide that makes it feel bulky and cumbersome. That's all the negative I have say about the POF system. The new Predator Slim rail is better, but I have very very little experience with it though. The actual system is very good. I've fired over 3500 round through mine, most of it during a very short period of time. I'd say at least a third the ammo I used was Wolf laquer or Wolf polymer. The first time I fired it I cleaned it immediately after shooting because that was the most I'd paid for a gun up to that time. I removed the BCG and I cleaned it with one kleenex. When I took the extractor apart there was a little bit of the red Wolf sealant which I cleaned with a toothpick. I also cleaned te gas piston and op rod. It was dirty, but not dirty like a DI BCG. I wiped the op rod off with another kleenex. I soaked the gas piston in a jar of Ed's Red (IIRC) and then wiped it down. I did have to scrub on it a little to get it perfectly clean. The system is rather robust. After the first time shooting and cleaning I know I waited til I had fired at least one thousand rounds through it. The BCG was just as easy to clean as the first time. The op rod was too. The gas piston was a bit dirtier and took a little more scrubbing. I need to add that they've added the CROS so you can fire it dry and not get as much crud on the gas piston.

As far as accuracy goes, the POF is the most accurate AR I've ever owned. My particular upper likes 55 grain PRVI Partisan the most, although it will shoot almost anything accurately. The barrels have since changed as well. I understand that the new barrels are *supposed to be* more accurate than the one on mine.

I don't know how it stands in the ever growing group of piston system as I've never fired one, but the POF is good. The times I have cleaned the weapon it was not due to necessity, but more a "I've got to keep this gun up" type thing. I hope this helps and answers some questions for you.

TS

John Hwang
25 January 2008, 08:05
From speaking with Frank at POF. The new barrel goes through a hardening process which makes them much harder than standard barrels & hammer forged barrels. POF is always tweaking and making things better and different.

Because of their success, wait times are becoming extremely long and quality control can also suffer.