PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court rules that all Americans have fundamental right to bear arms

Stickman
28 June 2010, 10:58
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/28/AR2010062802134_pf.html

The Supreme Court ruled for the first time Monday that the Second Amendment provides all Americans a fundamental right to bear arms, a long-sought victory for gun rights advocates who have chafed at federal, state and local efforts to restrict gun ownership.

Its nice to see something involving the second amendment actually go with way our founders intended.

sjohnny
28 June 2010, 13:53
Excellent news. Here is the decision. I haven't read it yet.
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf

PD Sgt.
30 June 2010, 09:05
I haven't had a chance to read the whole decision, but I am with Stick in that I am glad to see it went the direction it did. It does concern me that it was five to four, that is a little closer than I would have liked to see it.

Hmac
30 June 2010, 10:59
I haven't had a chance to read the whole decision, but I am with Stick in that I am glad to see it went the direction it did. It does concern me that it was five to four, that is a little closer than I would have liked to see it.

How do you think Elena Kagan would have voted?:rolleyes:

Just as important, would she vote, along with Sotomayor, to reopen D.C. v Heller? This concept of "settled law being inviolate" is something that Obama's Supreme Court likely doesn't hold as sacred as previous courts.

sjohnny
6 July 2010, 05:52
It still would likely have been 5 to 4 if Kagan had been on the court at the time. At least the next justice won't be replacing one of the five that voted in the majority opinion in this case.

ram2850
6 July 2010, 10:50
I am happy that they ruled the way they did. Remenber elections have consequenses, and if you dont vote for candidates that believe in the constitution someone else will vote-in candidates that think the constitution is old school and will elect judges that ruled against the second ammendment. Who knows, one day they might try to come and get your guns right out of your gun safe if you let them. The right to bear arms should always mean the right to bear arms.

HS2
13 July 2010, 14:46
I'm happy that this long fought case went in favor of the Constitution. Sadly, Maypr Daley is already hatching a new set of restrictions.