PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 20" Gov't barrels

aus71383
26 January 2008, 16:36
I'd like to build a rack of guns - basically M16A2 clones. I'm hoping I'll get a little better deal buying things 10 at a time - but before I can buy all the parts I have to decide what parts to get. (There's the money thing too). I'd like to build these as inexpensively as possible, but I won't be using crap parts.
So far I'm thinking Stag stripped lowers, CMMG A2 uppers - that's about as far as I got before running into some 20" barrel trouble.

What kind of steel does CMMG use in their barrels? I've lurked about a bit trying to find the answer - some reports of 4150 - but over on M4C's chart they have CMMG down as "advertised but isn't"

I sent an email off to CMMG about it - hoping for a good answer. As it stands, it might not matter anyhow as I'm having a hard time finding any other makers with 20" barrels for sale.

Any input on the CMMG barrels, parts suggestions, etc.. are appreciated. These will be my first builds - but I'm more concerned with getting the parts than the tools right now.

Thanks,
Austin

NvrenufRR
26 January 2008, 17:37
CMMG barrels are good quality from m understanding. I do not know firsthand though, but haven't heard anyhting bad, and they are MP tested, NATO chanbered, Gov't contour and Mil-Spec from m understanding.

I would recommend Sabre Defense barrels for your projects, Top Quality products.

d.hodgee
26 January 2008, 19:08
Does Sabre offer a mil-spec barrel thats NOT Gov't contour?

NvrenufRR
26 January 2008, 19:13
Im not sure on that, They may offer a HB, M16-A4's are HB, so they just might.

aus71383
26 January 2008, 21:15
It seems to me that if it isn't Gov't contour, it wouldn't be "mil-spec"....right? They (Sabre) do make 16 and 18 inch barrels that are chrome-moly chrome lined. I don't know what kind of steel they use in those barrels. They also make some heavy stainless type/SPR type barrels.

I want the Gov't profile barrel because the rifle feels right to me that way - I don't like the balance of the HBARs. I guess I could pay $300+ for SDI barrels, but if the CMMG is good to go then I'll save a bundle. Maybe that's just too good to be true though.

Austin

NvrenufRR
27 January 2008, 06:04
Haven't heard any problems from CMMG.

Arent the SDM's weapons HB's? A4?

Stickman
27 January 2008, 08:31
It seems to me that if it isn't Gov't contour, it wouldn't be "mil-spec"....right?

Austin

Mil-Spec means exactly that. If the MIL hasn't set a specification for that exact item, it isn't mil-spec.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up with the terminology, and would stay more worried about quality. SDI prices have jumped up sharply over the past couple years, but they are putting out a top notch barrel.

Another option may be for you to check around and look for surplus uppers. From time to time M16A2 uppers come up in batches for sale.

aus71383
1 February 2008, 15:15
I haven't heard back from CMMG or Sabre Defence yet....its looking like PK Firearms is the only dealer (at least that my meager searching abilities can find) that really stock Sabre products...and they're out of stock on 20" Sabre barrels. Is this not the case?

Austin

TalonArms_R
11 March 2008, 21:49
I haven't heard back from CMMG or Sabre Defence yet....its looking like PK Firearms is the only dealer (at least that my meager searching abilities can find) that really stock Sabre products...and they're out of stock on 20" Sabre barrels. Is this not the case?

Austin

We stock a lot of Sabre, but we sell through a lot of it as well!

Sabre uses a chrome vanadium steel alloy for their barrels. It is not mil-spec. It is stronger. Also, they only offer a government contour. No heavy barrels.

Right now you can get a 20" in 1/9 with rifle feed ramps. 1/7 with M4 ramps are probably going to be out until May or June.

Tac71
12 March 2008, 15:25
Wilson & ER Shaw.... Great Barrels...

aus71383
15 April 2008, 15:48
I decided on Sabre Defence for the barrels. I called them up and they said they will make extra and set some aside - then when the government gives me extra money I will buy them. They were agreeable since I think they have a bit of a backlog anyhow. Now I am just trying to decide whether or not I should get A2 or A3 style upper receivers....this is a great project! Thanks for your input.

Austin

Stickman
15 April 2008, 20:24
If you build up a flat top, you can always leave a carry handle on it to mirror the A2. On the other hand, there are often A2 uppers floating around cheap that people swapped out for a flattop, so you may be able to grab them cheap.

aus71383
19 April 2008, 16:15
I'm still thinking about the uppers. Naturally the flat tops have appeal - sights could be changed later, and I can get them with M4 cuts to match my Sabre barrels... but that isn't really necessary. The two downsides I'm thinking over are the extra cost, and not being able to put the rifles in rack with the sights attached where they belong. I really don't like that. I wonder if using the LMT rear sight instead of a carry handle would fix that problem. Another thing I don't like about the carry handle itself is that it is useless as a "carry handle" on the flat top models. I can't fit my fingers in there, and I have normal sized hands. I used to put a couple fingers through the carry handle on my A2 when shooting on the KD range for the standing position, and with the A4 I wasn't able to do that - fingers wouldn't fit.

I have a while to decide - I'm still waiting on the barrels, and then I'll need to buy LPKs, BCGs and stocks....so I can put it off for a while. What do you all think? A2 upper receivers or flat tops?

Austin

peabody
17 December 2010, 03:27
i bought a few barrels from bushmaster'

you have to call them, to order the 1/7 twist. they are chrome lined. government profile.
mine are very good shooters.

thats a good ideal' build ten at a time.

peabody

peabody
17 December 2010, 03:38
well now ? back in my day ? if you got caught carrying your weapon by the carry handle....................it wasen't pretty. :)

Paulo_Santos
17 December 2010, 05:09
well now ? back in my day ? if you got caught carrying your weapon by the carry handle....................it wasen't pretty. :)

I always found that funny. They call it a carry handle, yet we couldn't carry it. Right up there with Military Intelligence. LOL.

fuse
17 December 2010, 22:47
Ten at a time? Outfitting your militia I see?

tpelle
25 February 2012, 09:25
I always found that funny. They call it a carry handle, yet we couldn't carry it. Right up there with Military Intelligence. LOL.

It was never intended to be a "carry handle " in the first place. On the original prototype rifles the charging handle as we know it today did not exist. It was on top of the rifle, looked sort of like a trigger, and operated through a slot in the top of the receiver. The carry handle was a guard for the charging handle, plus it was a convenient place to put the rear sight so as to allow for proper cheek weld on the straight line stock.

When the ordnance dept adopted the M16 they did not like the open slot in the top of the receiver as they felt it would admit dirt, and they also experienced the charging handle getting too hot during sustained firing, They asked to have the handle redesigned in to what we know today.

Casull
25 February 2012, 22:41
BCM makes 20"

I'm looking to get a 20" going and plan to use one of those.

markm
1 March 2012, 09:18
This thread is funny... I was wondering why one would want a rack full of A2s.... then I looked a the original date of the thread.

peabody
4 March 2012, 14:28
Ha.... old thread .... but in case anyone interested... green mountain builds A1 barrels ..
I built a slickside with their barrel. A 1-12 twist.. shoots very accurate with fmj 55's
Peabody

TangoSauce
4 March 2012, 21:30
BCM makes 20"

I'm looking to get a 20" going and plan to use one of those.

Those SAM-Rs look pretty nice. I'm not overly happy with the accuracy of my BCM...but my Noveske SS barrels have me spoiled in that regard. The BCM bbls are shooters for CHF though.

You might consider AR Performance for a custom cut. They can get Krieger blanks if I'm not mistaken which would be pretty legit for a 20'' build.