PDA

View Full Version : Which magazines do you have and use?

NvrenufRR
26 January 2008, 18:53
Interested to find out each members opinion on their choice of mags and their experiences..

I own
HK SA-80 Gen
Gen III Magpul Pmags W/windows
Cproducts SS 30 rd mags
Bushmaster 30, 10, & 5 rd mags mags
Colt Horsey 30 & 20rd mags
D&H 30rd black Teflon mags
GI OKAY 30rd
England marked Sa-80 steel mags
PRI 5,10, & 15rd 6.8 mags

All my mags have performed flawlessly for me.

My personal favorited happen to be the HK's.I have read some intersting things about these lately, I have never encountered anything resembling an issue with them, but others have had reliability issues and premature wearing out of the springs.
For m, these are my SHTF mags and stay loaded all the time on standby.

I have just recently acquired some Gen 3 Pmags with windows and am thourghly impressed with them. Unfortunately, I have not had an opportunity to test them yet, I will be picking up 6-10 more shortly though.

I love my DH mags, 100% reliabilty, good finish and wear.

The colt. BM, England, and Okays are are great performers also.

Each magazine is upgraded with a new Magpul Gen II follower and most with Ranger plates also.

I didn't have any problems before, but why chance it.

So what are you using and how have they performed for you.

d.hodgee
26 January 2008, 19:03
I like my D&H(s) with magpul followers!

No problems as of yet!

TigerStripe
26 January 2008, 22:49
I have

1 HK Maritime Mag

1 PMag

12 C Product SS Mags

50 or so D&H Mags

30-40 Okay, Sanchez, Labelle, etc USGI Mags

The HK mag is my "pretty" mag and sit in an AR in my bedroom loaded w/ 55gr TAP

I have one PMag that hasn't been tested, but feels very well made.

The C Products SS mags are my SHTF mags. I've purposely abused many of them without a single problem

The 50-ish D&H were bought when the mag wars were happening and I got those just to have (just in case)

The USGI mags are mainly what I bought before the ban ended, but I did buy a few after the ban lifted. I may sell these to someone in a ban state to buy either PMags or C Products SS mags.

I've got about twenty 20rd straight mags, some Colt, some Adventureline and some NHMTG. Zero problems out of them.

TS

ETA: All my mags have Magpul followers, except the straight 20 rounders...

Stickman
27 January 2008, 08:35
I've got a gathering of just about everything, and so many floorplates have been switched back and forth I couldn't name half of them.

Any of my USGI style mags have had their green and black followers swapped out for Magpul followers. I've had failures with the older followers, and while it hasn't been often, it doesn't change that I've never been in or taught any courses where a Magpul follower has created a problem.

I've got PMAGs, TMAGs, and clear PMAGs as well. The PMAGs have done everything I need, and work well.

m24shooter
27 January 2008, 11:11
I can only break it down into two types: GI/LEO/Mil mags and a single Magpul Maglevel PMAG.
I've been replacing the floorplates on all of my GI/Mil mags with ranger plates, and I haven't really paid attention to who made them anyway. They either work or they get dumped/turned into malf makers.
I'm trying out the PMAG, and if I like it I'll get more.

TigerStripe
27 January 2008, 12:24
I've got PMAGs, TMAGs, and clear PMAGs as well. The PMAGs have done everything I need, and work well.

Are you done with aluminum USGI-type mags?

TS

aus71383
27 January 2008, 12:32
My experience with AR mags is mostly military - you get issued a bunch, and when they don't work (inevitably) you take them to supply/armory and swap them out. I do not trust aluminum AR mags - at least the issued ones with green followers.
I don't know if its the feed lips (which always develop cracks) or the follower that sucks the most. I was always glad to have new ones, and tried to take good care of them, but when you lay on top of them, or jump down on top of them, or bang into stuff....they take a beating.

The only magazines I've ever bought were PMAGs - I have ten and I like them so far. I don't have the money to shoot like the Gov does - but I've put a few hundred rounds through them, and I feel better about them than I ever did about the aluminum type. When I buy more magazines, they will be PMAGs.

Austin

Mike91A
27 January 2008, 12:36
For 5.56, P-mags, H&K maritime, C-products and a motley crew of GI aluminum with Magpul followers and lumpy plates. P-mags are best. For 6.8, Barrett and PRI. I like the Barretts becuase the rounds sit higher in the magwell allowing better feeding. PRI 5 round for hunting regs.

TigerStripe
27 January 2008, 12:38
I can't testify to the reliability of Pmags from personal experience, so I won't. But anything Stick has ever told me has been true. I can testify to the durability of the C Products stainless steel mags and they are light years ahead of USGI aluminum mags. I have abused them much more than they would ever see in a combat environment and they still work 100%. So my future mags will be those or PMags, provided the PMags turn out to be as good as Stick says. (Which I don't doubt).

TS

Quib
1 February 2008, 08:25
I have a mix of older GI 20 and 30 rd mags. For mags purchased recently, NHMTG’s and D&H grey teflons.

Stickman
1 February 2008, 08:51
Are you done with aluminum USGI-type mags?

TS

If you mean, am I getting rid of my USGI mags, the answer is no. I've got pouches and gear that the USGI mags can stay dedicated to. I'm also a fan of USGI 20 round mags for certain weapons (SP-1, CAR-15 clone etc).

I don't see me purchasing much more in the way of aluminum magazines, but I wouldn't mind a few of the new C-Product SS 20 round mags.

Overall, I think the PMAGs have done a good job of showing their durability and reliability. If the military makes their jump forward after the dust testing and takes a serious look at new magazines, I wouldn't be stunned to see the PMAGs become an issued item.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_8588%201028%20Stick.jpg

Eric
1 February 2008, 09:53
I think I own, or have owned a few of just about all those mentioned here. Most of the time I'm actually using USGI with Magpul followers, C Products SS and P Mags. Matter of fact, yesterdays range session involved a mix of those.

TigerStripe
1 February 2008, 12:50
No, I didn't mean getting rid of the USGI aluminum mags you have. I meant are you going to switch to 30 round PMags as your "go to" mag. I love the straight 20's as well and I have quite a few. Are the C Products 20rd stainless straight or curved? Me being the C Products guy that I am, you'd think that I would know. Why do you tempt me with the 20rd PMag? Because you can....

TS

DM-SC
2 February 2008, 19:13
Are the C Products 20rd stainless straight or curved? Me being the C Products guy that I am, you'd think that I would know. Why do you tempt me with the 20rd PMag? Because you can....
TS

The C Products SS 20rd mags are straight. I have 10 of them that have Gen II Magpul followers.

A-Men on the 20rd PMag!

:P

Hellraiser
6 February 2008, 17:30
My friend uses an HK... and swears by it. But you fellas are surely more knowledgeable than I ever will be. Glad I am here... you boys can teach an ol' country boy like me... a heck-of-a whole lot.

Thanks,

^..^

TigerStripe
6 February 2008, 21:42
My friend uses an HK... and swears by it. But you fellas are surely more knowledgeable than I ever will be. Glad I am here... you boys can teach an ol' country boy like me... a heck-of-a whole lot.

Thanks,

^..^

There are some great minds here and mine isn't one of them. I have to add my two cents though. HK mags are pretty and they work pretty well. But they don't work well enough to rate the price(IMO). C Products Stainless Steel will work very well. I still haven't tested my personal PMag, but if Stick says something works, it works.

TS

mpd7675
15 February 2008, 05:40
I use USGI w/ Magpul followers and PMAGs. I think PMAGs will be the way to go from now on.

John Hwang
15 February 2008, 08:15
I use many different kinds of mags but what I keep loaded with defensive ammo are all D&H USGI mags w/Magpul followers

doubletap
15 February 2008, 16:55
Ive got about 10 Okay brand , 2 Pmags and a couple of Colt 20 rounders that came with my rifle. They were both blocked to 5 rounds. I have since removed the block on one but left it in the other just in case I need a 5 round mag for hunting or something. I plan on getting more Pmags and probably no more aluminum ones.

parabellum
17 February 2008, 17:50
mostly D&H and C Products. I have a few OKay, Center Industries, Labelle, Bushmaster and Noveske mags in the mix too, all of the USGI type. Followers range from OG black to USGI green to new orange and grey Magpul followers.

I also have 10 steel mags, I think they are from Singapore. I only use them as range mags/hand out mags. They work well enough to justify the $8 price tag :)

I want to get a few PMags to see what all the fuss is about. I hear a lot of good things and I want to see for myself. I will probably abuse them as much as possible.

TigerStripe
17 February 2008, 21:45
I'll be glad when I can run my one PMag through the ringer. I've dropped in quite a number of times on various surfaces. I've thrown it for good distances and it still looks good. A few more bang around tests and I'll try shooting with it. So far it's still the C Products stainless steel that have stood up the best for me...

TS

fogofwar
20 February 2008, 18:56
I have upgraded all of my alum mags with Magpul followers and spring kits from C-Products over the last year. The followers are such a superior product compared to issue followers that it is easy to justify the nominal cost.

I really like the PMAGS, too, but I have seen plastic mags come and go--mostly go--over the last 20 years (gulp!) that I am still a little leary. Plastics technolgy may have finally reached the pinacale with the PMAGS, though, so I hold out hope. The quality, fit, finish and function is outsrtanding in these mags. I plan on buying a few more.

Definately upgrade the followers in your alum mags--it makes a big difference.

SHIHAN
20 February 2008, 19:33
Im curently testing these.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11744

PJD642
4 April 2008, 20:12
I've got a bunch of the D&H 30 rounders with the dry lube finish. They all have CS springs & magpul followers. Never had a problem with 'em.

I plan on picking up some of the C Prod. SS mags with the magpul followers soon too. Probably some orange Pmags for the range.

BRD Jerm
4 April 2008, 21:40
i think im going with all PMAG for awhile(have about half a dozen currently).

i have a pretty good pile of USGI mags(with Magpul followers and most with Rangers)...now that the PMAG Rangers are out,thats all i'll probably buy for the foreseeable future.

Eric
4 April 2008, 22:08
This is a great time for the magazine consumer. Prices are reasonable and there are more options than ever.

I recently received a couple Lancer L5 mags to try out. I've only gone through a few hundred rounds so far. I'll be posting details after additional testing.

crowdlg
17 April 2008, 15:07
I have a few standard gi mags but after now using a few p-mags i bought i sold off all but 4 gi mags.The only reson i am keeping them is if i ever sell a rifle later i would give them one of thoes and not a p-mag.Cant wait till the clear,smoke P-mags are available to the public.

slayr15
19 April 2008, 18:07
i still use usgi mags w/ magpul gen 2 follower . being in a ban state(maryland) i can't wait to get my hands on the new 20 rnd p-mag .

Hojutsu
19 April 2008, 19:30
I have a box of USGI mags I have been using for 20 years-ish. However, I have recently gone all PMAG. I'll hang on the the OldTech mags, but I'm hooked on Magpul

TigerStripe
22 April 2008, 22:45
I have a box full of D&H mags with Magpul followers and they just sit there. I've got some Okay's and NHMTG's as well. Same thing, they sit in the box. I'm about to get a chance to test PMags myself and depending how they perform (I don't expect any failures) and how I like them (which I do so far) I'm probably going to half C Products stainless and half PMags. I do like the fact that PMags don't "clang".

TS

USMC
23 April 2008, 07:52
I have made the switch to the windowed PMags.

sorethumb
1 May 2008, 08:13
C-products,Pmags gen 3,thremold,and a str. colt 20 here and no hickups from any of them.

ARin
1 May 2008, 09:45
i have about 50 mags, split between DH/labelles with MP followers and ranger plates, and Pmags.

thats it. i sold off all of my other random mags.

sorethumb
4 May 2008, 18:01
drinking so its just a BLAB. I have an L.A.R. lower i use C-products, Colt,Thermold and Magpull Maglevel mags. I have never had a problem with FTF or anything else. +\- 100 rnds of 1000 never a ftf or stovepipe. i am a firm believer that the lower makes all the difference.
sorethumb\jsta5.56shooter\glocknutt.

sorethumb
4 May 2008, 18:05
BTW, the C-products are all aluminum with green followers.

louie
5 May 2008, 05:42
C-Products SS and Magpul P-Mags. 20's and 30's.

The 20's work well for bipod/bench use.

I have some aluminum C-Products mags, but I'm afraid these may be on their way out, to be replaced with a few more P-mags.

Man, I do like these P-Mags!

justbill
12 May 2008, 13:07
I predominantly have/use 20- and 30-rd. AR Stoner marked mags, which are C Products items sold by MidwayUSA. I've only had an issue with one, a retaining lip was bent a bit during range work and the floorplate popped-up at the corner. MidwayUSA was good enough to replace it free of charge and sight unseen. After using the damaged mag as the test mule for Krylon camo, I bent the lip back and reassembled the magazine. I haven't shot it yet but the spring and follower appear to function properly and the floorplate stays in place.

I also have a couple of USGI 30-rounders.

CAPT KIRK
5 August 2008, 02:51
I use USGI w/ Magpul followers and PMAGs. I think PMAGs will be the way to go from now on.

What he said.......

Ive been a fan of the durability of polymer mags since my Steyr AUG. I like my PMAGS as much or more than the AUG mags I first fell in love with.

Just PMAGS and some freebee USGI's that will soon have MAGPUL followers in them.

JTrusty
9 August 2008, 20:00
I use these. [:D]

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/pmag/custom/01.jpg

JTrusty
9 August 2008, 20:04
I recently started testing various texture patterns as well.

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/pmag/textured/05.jpg

The above represents the most aggressive texture I was able to produce. Texture wraps 360 degrees around the mag including front and
rear recesses. You would be hard pressed to accidentally drop this mag ( or have it ripped from your hand for that matter :P )

TigerStripe
9 August 2008, 20:06
You've done that to me again... put those mags out there like that.

TS

parabellum
10 August 2008, 18:13
25 and 15 rounders? weird.

when are those going to be on the market?

i still need more 30s and 20s (not to mention an UBR) before i even think about those odd numbered mags, but that doesn't stop my curiosity.

TigerStripe
10 August 2008, 20:41
I think they're custom mags. You can find the 15 rounders at Arf...

TS

JTrusty
15 August 2008, 18:51
25 and 15 rounders? weird. when are those going to be on the market?

Not a commercially available option. Just a PMAG30 chop job. [:D]

Texture expirements continued tonight on colored PMAGS. I thought for sure that the colored bodies would discolor. They didn't. :P

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/pmag/colored/pmag02.jpg

Macro always exaggarates everything. They look extremely nice in hand.

RogerTPA
31 August 2008, 17:56
I have:
Pmags 50 (10 w/window)
BCM 12 w/green followers
CProducts 12 w/green followers

TigerStripe
1 September 2008, 01:29
I have:
Pmags 50 (10 w/window)
BCM 12 w/green followers
CProducts 12 w/green followers

Not bad at all....

TS

Eric
1 September 2008, 15:33
Not a commercially available option. Just a PMAG30 chop job. [:D]

Texture expirements continued tonight on colored PMAGS. I thought for sure that the colored bodies would discolor. They didn't. :P

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/pmag/colored/pmag02.jpg

Macro always exaggarates everything. They look extremely nice in hand. Great detail in that photo. I might just have to try my hand at the soldering iron treatment.

Zip06
7 September 2008, 11:32
I have USGI with Magpul followers. No USGI ever let me down either on active duty or as a civilian....except two instances with the black follower. That's why all of my mags now have Magpul followers.

I doubt that Pmag will ever be an issue item. Plastic and extreme cold weather don't mix and I have read that Pmags crack at about -30 or -40degrees. USGI gear is suppose to be reliable in all environments.

Malleus Dei
7 September 2008, 13:56
I recently started testing various texture patterns as well.

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/pmag/textured/05.jpg

The above represents the most aggressive texture I was able to produce. Texture wraps 360 degrees around the mag including front and
rear recesses. You would be hard pressed to accidentally drop this mag ( or have it ripped from your hand for that matter :P )

Any chances of you sharing with us your technique, pic of the soldering tip, what iron, etc... that is really cool! Pretty ingenious. Nice! [adore]

.22Three
9 September 2008, 16:21
Yeah, that is not bad at all.