PDA

View Full Version : BCG and buffer question

Creeky73
7 July 2010, 06:18
I have narrowed my bcg down to something from Young Mfg, and am considering either the standard chrome or the national match chrome. I am assuming that anything called "national match" is designed to increase accuracy, but since I doubt if I will ever be competing with this rifle, that is not much of a concern. My question is, does the NM add any other benefits that would make it worth the extra cash? Does it increase reliability, or run a little smoother? Weight is of little concern to me, as this will be going on a pencil profile upper and should be plenty light overall.

Also, what buffer should I use in a 16" carbine with either of those bcg options?

TehLlama
7 July 2010, 16:00
Pencil upper? That wants a BCM, DD, GTS, LMT, or RA BCG. IonBond if you want to get fancy, but those are the choices I'd be looking at. Young parts are great, but save money for lightweight fun parts instead.

Creeky73
7 July 2010, 16:09
yeah, I realize that the YM parts are probably overkill, but I do like the thought of having a chrome bcg just for ease of cleaning (or at least it looks cleaner to you, perhaps helps you see dirt in places you might miss, I dunno). I had my eye on the new Thunderbolt from Rainier, but they are out of stock on that one. Anything by DD is fine by me, and I might just end up going that route. Decisions, decisions.....

Paulo_Santos
7 July 2010, 18:10
Start with a regular carbine buffer and work your way up. You want to use the heaviest buffer that will still cycle your AR.

Specialized Armament
8 July 2010, 09:14
Start with a regular carbine buffer and work your way up. You want to use the heaviest buffer that will still cycle your AR.

True statement but...

Ammunition will affect the outcome. Your rifle may cycle properly with an H2 buffer and SS109/M855 but short stroke with the same buffer and Brand X bulk pack ammunition. True?

Paulo_Santos
8 July 2010, 13:21
True statement but...

Ammunition will affect the outcome. Your rifle may cycle properly with an H2 buffer and SS109/M855 but short stroke with the same buffer and Brand X bulk pack ammunition. True?

Yep. That's exactly what I meant.

TehLlama
8 July 2010, 20:21
Indeed, and having both still around from the process of working up is a good thing - the CAR buffer for if you end up feeding your rifle something less powerful, and something heavier for loads pushing out more pressure (and if over the length of a long course if you start seeing short stroking, drop to a lighter buffer and add lube)

I don't think the heaviest is necessarily the best if you forsee high round counts, but heavier is generally better, and if you can run it very reliably with an H2 or so, the recoil impulse is noticeably better, and I'd prefer the added weight to make the rounds go into battery and reduct bolt carrier velocity.

eristine
9 July 2010, 22:42
I have the Young NM. Its SUPER easy to clean. the NM version is also heavier. I like it...worth it to me.

Creeky73
11 July 2010, 14:22
so from what I can gather, the standard carbine buffer is going to work, no matter what, and the heavier buffers are all ammo-dependent, right? so if I want to buy only one buffer, it sounds as if standard carbine is the way to go.

Creeky73
11 July 2010, 14:24
I have the Young NM. Its SUPER easy to clean. the NM version is also heavier. I like it...worth it to me.

I sure do like the look of it, and the gun will be plenty light to not have the extra weight be an issue...I am trying to talk myself into it, thanks for helping :)

Paulo_Santos
11 July 2010, 14:58
so from what I can gather, the standard carbine buffer is going to work, no matter what, and the heavier buffers are all ammo-dependent, right? so if I want to buy only one buffer, it sounds as if standard carbine is the way to go.

That is correct.

Eric
11 July 2010, 21:33
Sort of. If everything is otherwise correct in the system, it should run fine with a standard carbine buffer. I used one for years in my duty Colt. An H buffer is rarely going to induce a malfunction, unless the ammo is under-powered, the gas port is under-sized or there is inadequate gas pressure for some other reason. Colt is shipping carbines with the proper H buffer. Where issues are most likely to crop up is when the buffer weight is increased substantially. This does require the user to ensure that carbine will reliably run with their load of choice - not just a few rounds, but it needs to be run hard. Some carbines need an H buffer or heavier, to run reliably.

TehLlama
13 July 2010, 21:06
If you've got a blue-spacered extractor spring that's past its useful lifetime, the lighter buffer will not help the FTE's that will result - I was able to temporarily fix that problem in my wife's by dropping in an H2, but later when I realized the actual problem while detail stripping, and replaced the spring, tossed in a BCM upgrade kit, both buffers ran great with bulk pack (low pressure) and other rounds.

Creeky73
14 July 2010, 09:58
I am very glad I asked about this, I have learned a lot I wasn't aware of. Chances are, I will buy both a standard and H buffer (even if bought at the same time, this is a small investment compared to the rest of the weapon) and if the H runs with the ammo I use, I will keep that one in there. I am still up in the air about the bcg. The thing is, once you start getting up into $160 or more, I have a hard time justifying NOT stepping up to a NM or similar bcg, as it doesn't get into that much more money. Part of it is admittedly vain, as I would love to be able to say that I have a really nice bcg, especially if there are noticeable benefits to it. I dunno...