PDA

View Full Version : What are you shooting more of and what type of shooter are you?

NvrenufRR
26 January 2008, 19:04
Lets get to know some of our members here and the type of shooting they are into.

What type of shooter are you??
How often do you shoot and what type of shooting do you reguraely perform?

About myself...
Most of my shooting is shotgun and pistol for now.
I enjoy shooting shotguns on a weekly basis, (weather permitting) I like to shoot Sportsmans Clay and Trap, Skeet and 5-stand.
I participate in NRA Bullseye Pistol matches monthly (weather permitting).
I am currently in the middle of finishing up a NMHigh power AR to compete in NRA High power matches with, I am just waiting on a NM FSB, 1/4x1/4 NM A2 rear sight, and installing a NM FF thermo-mold handguard set.
I would like to get into IDPA/IPSC, as a local range supports them and NRA matches for members.

I shoot almost on a weekly basis, or try anyways, mostly pistol besides the shotgun, practicing being proficent in defensive tactics, COF's and other drills
I haven't gotten to shoot any of my AR's since october, Im quite bummed.
In the summer I also like to shoot long range with a precision rifle out to known distances of 1000yds, and out to around 600 on certain AR platforms.
I love to hunt, not into fishing.
I am really intersted in taking a few classes this upcoming year on Pistol, carbine, shotgun, and also go to Rifles Only for a 5 day course in Precion shooting.

TigerStripe
27 January 2008, 12:31
I haven't shot much of anything in quite a while dur to income, or rather the lack thereof. I have a DPMS M4 w/ CMMG M4A1 Socom barrel and a POF. Where I shoot there isn't much of a choice of how to shoot, it's fixed position-fixed target. I'm much need of a carbine course, but that will be a while off I suspect.

TS

Electric Lineman
28 January 2008, 08:49
First time poster. Just found this place and like it. Me, I'm just a weekend plinker whenever I get the chance. Most of my shooting is with handguns and a few shotguns also, but just recently acquired a Stag model 1. Since a carbine course was mentioned in the post above, here is one that I am thinking of checking into. Can't hurt, can it? http://www.lonestarhandgun.com/FrameSA.htm

NvrenufRR
29 January 2008, 13:10
First time poster. Just found this place and like it. Me, I'm just a weekend plinker whenever I get the chance. Most of my shooting is with handguns and a few shotguns also, but just recently acquired a Stag model 1. Since a carbine course was mentioned in the post above, here is one that I am thinking of checking into. Can't hurt, can it? http://www.lonestarhandgun.com/FrameSA.htm

Welcome aboard!!
[:D]

The class looks good, IMO ANY classs you can take will leave with more knowledge and training than anyone could acquire on their own even doing their own COF's.
Paper shooting is good, but knowing how to react in situations a class can teach is worth any amount of money.

I personally think you did very weel on your new rifle, I happen to think STAG makes an A++ product!

Rather_Static
2 February 2008, 14:47
Me:

I am mostly an AR guy, and my .40
Getting ready for the IPSC season to start at my club this year.

I work a crazy schedule when I am around, so I am usually at my club, alone, during the weekday. When I am there, I like seeing how tight I can get my AR groups. Pistol, is all steel and speed for me. I have a SA .45 Single Stack, loaded black stainless that is all tricked out..but I dont enjoy it competing with it..to many other guys with tricked out .45's..so I shoot production with my carry peice.

I shot my shotguns only on 3 gun match days.

I have a Rem 700 that I am waiting to buy glass for then I am going to move that into the mix as well.

Guilty
10 February 2008, 11:53
I started with shotguns as a teenager and enjoyed hunting ducks, geese, upland birds, and trap shooting with close friends for many years out on logging roads or power line roads.
I developed an interest in handguns, got my conceal carry license and was a weekend plinker for many years, but didn't carry concealed regularily. The last several years I have been a daily conceal carry type of guy and got my wife interested in handguns and rifles and she got her conceal carry license.
Recently I have been interested in AR's and have purchased 2 in the last 6 months and have spent some serious $$$ getting them just the way I like them.
I got involved at the local range and I spend most every weekend shooting my handguns and the AR's especially during the winter months. I guess that I spend more time becoming proficient with my handguns and I want to continue to better my shooting skills in case I need these skills to defend myself some day.

SHIHAN
10 February 2008, 13:05
I haven't shot much of anything in quite a while dur to income, or rather the lack thereof. I have a DPMS M4 w/ CMMG M4A1 Socom barrel and a POF. Where I shoot there isn't much of a choice of how to shoot, it's fixed position-fixed target. I'm much need of a carbine course, but that will be a while off I suspect.

TS

If you visit Phoenix I can give you some training for free, if that helps.

JAYTEAM
11 February 2008, 11:59
Nothing but handguns here lately. It's too cold to shoot outside much during the winter in Ohio. I would have like to have taken my new LMT out Saturday with some of my buddies, but I had to work.

OK, back on subject... I have been shooting my SIG 228 and Glock 19 a lot lately.

Jay

WileyCoyote
2 October 2009, 23:33
If you visit Phoenix I can give you some training for free, if that helps.

I live in Tucson and I would love to take you up on that free training with my AR and handgun if you have the time sir. I would really appreciate it. I can travel to you anytime. I work for myself so my schedule is very flexible. Hope to hear from you soon

Narco
3 October 2009, 01:18
Shoot weekly...

Travel to 3 Gun matches, as I have got bitten by a few folks who are very successful in the sport. Since then I have added Benelli's and soon to be a JP Rifle to my collection..

gunnut284
3 October 2009, 17:35
I haven't shot my personal guns in a while. I shoot my duty handgun, subgun, carbine and long rifle generally a couple times a month but very little of my own stuff. I need to find a new place to shoot.

chico1911
3 October 2009, 20:55
I shoot weekly USPSA, IDPA, ICORE, Multi-gun and NRA Bullseye. I'm currently getting ready to shoot the California State IDPA Championship the 10th & 11th. I also practice with my CCW guns and hope to put more rounds thru the Carbine I just built.

Also, as a Member of the Rudy Project Competition Squad I can offer any of you a 40% discount on Rudy Project Eyewear. PM me with any questions! [:D]

tac40
4 October 2009, 09:42
Nice video, Chico1911 what revolver is that?

chico1911
4 October 2009, 19:03
Nice video, Chico1911 what revolver is that?

Thanks!

A S&W Performance Center 627. I did an action job on it, bobbed the hammer and mounted a C-more. I just started shooting ICORE, only have 7 matches under my belt. But having fun. There are a lot of other videos of me shooting IDPA and USPSA.

Stickman
7 October 2009, 13:07
I'm trying to do more dryfire...

S391
12 October 2009, 18:39
I spent over 15 years shooting competitive sporting clays and last year I made the switch to pistols and IDPA. I started playing with AR's this summer but I've shot well over 6000 rounds through my pistols in the last year so I would have to say that action shooting is my first love these days.

Paulo_Santos
12 October 2009, 18:57
I am mainly shooting the 556 and the .45. I reload for both so it allows me to shoot at least once a week. I can reload the 556 for approximately $.17 per round and the .45 is just as cheap.

rob_s
13 October 2009, 02:32
I'm a competition shooter and training junkie. I wrote an article about our carbine matches for the July 2009 issue of SWAT magazine. What we do isn't USPSA 3-gun but something unique to us.

Because of my time spent on carbine matches and drills nights my handgun shooting skills have slipped past the unacceptable level and I'm working to do more to rectify that. Shot in an DPA match this past weekend after probably more than a year off.

Cold
13 October 2009, 07:55
I'm trying to do more dryfire...

Its a great skill, I DF my production gun 30 mins every other day, or while on the phone, my shooting has improved at matches no question.

Bill Bryant
13 October 2009, 09:15
I'm mainly a deer and pheasant hunter. I also like to take a .22 with me into the wilderness several times a year. I recently got my CCW and carry everywhere except at work. I've taken formal pistol training. I'm brand new to the AR world and just this month completed my first build. I get out into the woods with some kind of firearm as often as possible--wilderness is 1/2 hour from my house.

Titleist
13 October 2009, 14:36
I'm basically what rob_s said, i.e a training junkie and competition shooter. I'm mostly a 5.56 guy, as I love my carbines, but I'm really starting to shift focus back to some fundamentals like long range and my pistol craft (which frankly sucks).

I've gotten bitten by the training bug, so I've got 4 classes lined up in 2010. Less about hardware now, more about software.

Raven_Thunder
27 November 2009, 18:54
I do about 90% Dry Fire and 10% Live Fire. I shoot the AR and my Glock 23 mostly. I shoot the AR because I grew up around rifles and they have always been my main interest.

The Glock 23 is my CCW so I keep up on those skills every chance I get.

If money permits I'll take out my .17 HMR, Mosin M44, or SKS/AK and give them some love.

Once I get back home and PCS, I'll be doing more shooting/ teaching shooting on a professional/ career level.

lmtrocks
14 December 2009, 11:07
I love doing drills with my CX4 because it's a decent capacity lightweight weapon that is just plain fun to shoot. Pretty accurate for being a pistol cal carbine. My grendel gets out more now that I have reloading equipment for it, and the round count has jumped up very well. Pistol training has taken a little bit of a back seat because I just like using rifles more. But there will be a point I get tired of reloading grendel and start shooting more handgun. Plus when I don't want to be at the outdoor range I can go to Buds Gun Shop in Paris, KY (20 mins away) and use the CX4 and my pistols in there. my GF will be taking her CCW class there too.

Lastrites
17 December 2009, 16:40
For myself, I shoot not nearly as much as the old days. That said I am heavy into teaching/training my two kids in what I'd consider the ABC's of shooting, gun handling and safetly most of all. My son at twelve is likely a much better shotgunner than I will ever be and my daughter is pretty much lights out with a rifle. If I get a mag or two off I am lucky as they pretty much rule the range.

Win75
31 January 2010, 14:45
Most of my shooting is with rifles. I shoot a lot of target rifles, both .22 and high power. I have just gotten into AR's again. My main addiction in the hunting area is deer.
I also shoot some handgun. Mostly just to keep familiar for my CCW.

d90king
31 January 2010, 17:28
Fairly wide variety here<
I run 1911's and a P30 for my carry gun. .45 and 9mm
I run AR's in 5.56 and 6.8
I also run my AK's VZ58's a good bit. 7.62x39
Shoot Trap with an O/U 12 gauge
Kill birds with an O/U in 20 gauge

I have always had a soft spot for 1911's and have a pretty extensive collection.

I started with firearms at 13 in military school and that is where my affinity for 1911's began. Damn Service Model ACE.[:D]

I love to shoot and also love to train with top tier instructors. I will take 3-4 classes this year, starting with Hackathorn's Advanced pistol/low light class in March. I am hoping LAV does a 3 day carbine/pistol in the fall and am undecided on what will follow or precede it at this point. I am leaning towards a Howe pistol class in Pa...

I would like to take a MP class sometime soon, but most of their classes are out west which makes it tough.

I am also a big believer in trying to help other shooters who are just getting into firearms. I think training is vital to ALL. I am often sickened by the lax attitude towards training by those who carry on a daily basis...

Oh well, enough rambling. Look forward to learning from many of you as I see some familiar faces with a lot of knowledge.

Shooter
31 January 2010, 18:52
A few friends and I hit Front Sight about once a month. Last year was all pistol training, but have a shottie class lined up in 3 weeks. Was lucky and got into the Magpul carbine 1&2 class next week, looking forward to it. I have some property and shoot about every Sunday. I'm a reformed Skeet shooter. LOL.

hglucky13
6 February 2010, 08:25
started out just shooting at cans and crows, then progressed to hogs and propane bottles (never could get them to light off). spent alot of years hunting and training for the world to end [:D]. now i mostly just run around in the woods with my .22, bring home some meat occasionally,and try and shoot one of my guns everyday. i did find out the other day my pistol craft is seriously lacking right now so i think i need to focus on that more now, and i'm building a carbine , so i will probably shoot that alot this year.
later
alan

Tucson
6 February 2010, 14:14
I live in Tucson and I would love to take you up on that free training with my AR and handgun if you have the time sir. I would really appreciate it. I can travel to you anytime. I work for myself so my schedule is very flexible. Hope to hear from you soon

Did you every hear back from SHIHAN? I live in Tucson too. Free training [wow]!!!

bulletbill
6 February 2010, 19:03
Bolt gun guy. Confessed Savagaholic. Built up my bolt rig last Feb after having to sell everything to move from CO to MD. This time rather than spending big bucks on the semi autos in my life (recovering Sabreaholic), I decided to put my money into a bolt gun. Built on a precision target action and barreled it 6x47 Lapua. It's been to Quantico once shooting a modified Fclass course. First time at a grand made me look silly but as soon as this weather clears we're going back as I think I've got my problems figured out. [bash]

Built a M4imilar this summer with the intention of keep it extremely simple. It's been a process to say the least.

Fontaine
16 February 2010, 14:53
I am an unrepentant armchair commando, but I've got a busy social life and limited budget.

I do IDPA every month, and just discovered the joys of a local tactical rifle league that shoots monthly.

I'm pretty lucky, it turns out that there are lots of quality shooting venues in the northwestern Washington area.

-Weekly indoor rifle league (loosely based on USPSA rules)
-Monthly outdoor rifle league (USTACRA on Facebook, youtube)
-Monthly IDPA/USPSA. 3 big clubs, Travis Tomasie coming from one of them (his dad still shoots there)
-A pretty active Snipershide.com crew out here, but I'm new to the long range scene.

etc. etc.