PDA

View Full Version : MOE handguard question

Creeky73
17 July 2010, 15:31
I am running into some snags on where to put sling mounts on my new builds. One has the Adams Arms piston kit, so it does not have any sling mounts built into the gas block. I am not sure if I am going to put a free float handguard on it or not, but I am leaning towards not. On the other, I am definitely not putting a 4-rail handguard on it, at least not in the short term. I would really like to use MOE handguards on both of these builds, so my question is, will that handguard be stout enough to use rail-mount sling mounts? My initial thought is that it might be the plastic bolt-on rails that would be the weak link in that setup and not really the handguard itself. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Stickman
17 July 2010, 19:35
Magpul will be releasing a sling mount for the MOE series handguards, so I wouldn't worry about them being able to holdup to sling use.

Quib
17 July 2010, 19:42
I'll be taking a tour of this company and reviewing their MOE sling attachments towards the end of the month.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/flash.html

Creeky73
17 July 2010, 20:12
good information, thanks guys!

TehLlama
17 July 2010, 21:15
Quib, let us know how their MOE and VTAC-X QD attachments are, I doubt I'm the only one keenly interested.
I wonder if the BFG universal loop could work as an interim solution.

Quib
17 July 2010, 21:38
Will do.

On the slate is a tour of the facility, range session, and samples for review.

rob_s
18 July 2010, 04:51
While you're their could you ask them to un-geek their website? Or at least provide a button for those of us that don't want to fight through flash and listen to bad music?

To the OP...

I tried a lot of different sling attachment methods on the MOE. The problem with the carbine-length handguards, MOE or otherwise, is that they don't leave much room for mounting anything as they are just barely big enough for the hand. I found that attaching sling mounts to they slots, like the Impact Weapons products do, was not a workable solution.

My final solution was to use one of these (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=164668), and cut an extra slot in the handguard to slip it though from the back. Keeps the mount up high enough so that it doesn't get in the way of my hand.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DSC_3943.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DSC_3832.jpg

Creeky73
18 July 2010, 19:57
Magpul will be releasing a sling mount for the MOE series handguards, so I wouldn't worry about them being able to holdup to sling use.

do you know what the time frame is on these, or is there any place I can get more information about them? If they are coming out some time this year, I might be able to wait on them.

Creeky73
18 July 2010, 20:01
While you're their could you ask them to un-geek their website? Or at least provide a button for those of us that don't want to fight through flash and listen to bad music?

To the OP...

I tried a lot of different sling attachment methods on the MOE. The problem with the carbine-length handguards, MOE or otherwise, is that they don't leave much room for mounting anything as they are just barely big enough for the hand. I found that attaching sling mounts to they slots, like the Impact Weapons products do, was not a workable solution.

My final solution was to use one of these (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=164668), and cut an extra slot in the handguard to slip it though from the back. Keeps the mount up high enough so that it doesn't get in the way of my hand.

thanks for the pics. What I was considering doing was putting a short rail as close to the delta ring as possible and using a Gear Sector rail-mount HK sling mount. It looks like your loop is a little further north than what I was thinking about, but I think it would be pretty similar?

Stickman
18 July 2010, 22:58
do you know what the time frame is on these, or is there any place I can get more information about them? If they are coming out some time this year, I might be able to wait on them.

Magpul is NOT giving information regarding release dates anymore. There are people who cried like little girls when certain dates weren't met, and eventually Magpul simply ended it.

If you are not in a hurry, and can wait for a month, or possibly a few, I think you will see what you are looking for. Molds break, new projects come up, and sometimes things just happen, but I'm expecting to see them while the weather is still on the warm side. Nothing carved in stone, and as Magpuls photographer I'm certainly not going to release any guarded info, but I'll guess we are getting close.

If you are wondering how close, I'll point out that I don't have a set yet.

Creeky73
19 July 2010, 16:16
I will admit, I am getting quite close to crying over the rifle-length MOE's....but their products are worth the wait.

Dualspringfields
22 July 2010, 19:34
Are these freefloat or do you use the handguard cap?

Creeky73
22 July 2010, 21:21
straight drop-in replacements, uses cap and delta ring just like normal hand guards.

Quib
30 July 2010, 16:18
My visit to IWC was scheduled for tomorrow, but I had to cancel on Wednesday evening due to a small home emergency. I am hoping to reschedule my visit and waiting to hear back from IWC.

Quib
6 August 2010, 16:22
I'm meeting with the team from IWC tomorrow. Expect a review to follow shortly after..........

Stickman
7 August 2010, 10:21
I will admit, I am getting quite close to crying over the rifle-length MOE's....but their products are worth the wait.

I think you will be happy when you handle a rifle length MOE on a 16" barreled carbine.

Quib
7 August 2010, 10:29
I just returned from meeting Earl Pittman of Impact Weapons Components. I have samples in hand of IWC's accessories and will begin an initial review shortly.

Speaking at length with Earl about IWC, their gear, and their plans for the future, I am looking forward to receiving more of their items for review.

Quib
7 August 2010, 12:11
Upcoming review will be found here: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2500-IMPACT-WEAPONS-COMPONENTS-Mount-N-Slot-Direct-Attach-Mounts

Creeky73
7 August 2010, 14:55
I think you will be happy when you handle a rifle length MOE on a 16" barreled carbine.

the barrel I have for it is a 20" from Bravo Company. I am pretty excited about getting it finished, but I have no idea when that will be. I finally ordered a 16" lightweight full upper from BC to go with my lower half, and I fired an AR for the first time in almost a year last weekend. That was far, far too long between AR shoots. But now I have this 20" setup that needs finishing, and I think it is being put on indefinite hold. So now it really doesn't matter to me when these MOE hand guards arrive. :)