PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Mule...

AR-10
21 July 2010, 09:42
...is selling their own billet lowers again.

Which is good, because I wanted one but didn't care for the huge markings that they put on LaRue's receivers.

I just talked to one of the owners and I'm waiting for him to call me back with a local FFL so I can order one.

I'm gonna start a new build, with a carbine-length VIS and an M4 HBAR - I will post pics and I'm sure I will need help with the build...

http://smosarms.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=sm15&cat=5&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Stickman
21 July 2010, 09:56
They only put large markings on the LT lower because that is what LT wanted, which is understandable as they wanted it to stand out.

That lower should look good with a VIS.

Any reason why you want to go with the short VIS and a heavy barrel?

AR-10
21 July 2010, 10:32
Yes - I already have the Colt barrel, complete with FSB and barrel nut. Is this combination not a good idea?

I haven't bought the VIS yet but I guess I could go with a 9" or 10" and swap the FSB for a small gas block.

I bought the barrel a while ago and I don't know what else to do with it, that's why I'm leaning towards a billet lower and a mono-upper...

Stickman
21 July 2010, 11:33
I really like the longer VIS, the short versions seem cramped to me. I'm using the 10" on mine, I can post up some pictures if you want an idea what it looks like.

AR-10
21 July 2010, 12:58
That would be excellent, please do.

I am not completely opposed to the idea of a longer handguard and a flip-up front sight so I would like to see your setup.

My only concern would be the added weight of a 9"or 10" VIS...I have felt a carbine built around a shorty VIS and it felt heavier than a standard upper with a separate railed handguard - and I was comparing it to another carbine with a 7" M.I. handguard which isn't exactly the lightest rail system out there.

I'm already adding considerable weight because the barrel is fat behind the gas block...I'd be afraid of ending up with a carbine that feels unusually heavy on the muzzle end, if that makes sense.

I like to try and keep things balanced - I've already decided on the EMOD which should help a bit.