PDA

View Full Version : Reusing a Barrel Nut

vingrjoe
23 July 2010, 22:05
How many times can a barrel nut be reused if the proper install/removal procedures are followed and the proper Mil-Spec grease used on each install ?

Will any degradation of the barrel nut happen at all ?

Thank you.

Quib
23 July 2010, 23:56
As many times as you like.

The barrel nut is not limited to a specific number of removals and installs. It's serviceable as long as the barrel nut wrench used can securely hold the nut during install/removal and there are no other obvious defects.

The -23&P states:

NOTE

Damaged or missing teeth of the barrel nut is not cause for rejection provided the proper torque value can be obtained during installation using the tools depicted. If removal of the barrel is not possible with the combination tool, a pipe wrench or other such tool may be used during removal.

vingrjoe
24 July 2010, 07:43
Quib, thank you for replying.

I was just worried about possible excessive wear on the threads of the barrel nut. But it looks like something I shouldn't have to be concerned about.

Quib
24 July 2010, 08:10
You're welcome.

Don't forget.....you have steel threads running against aluminum threads. The aluminum threads of the upper receiver will give long before the barrel nut threads will.

On the topic of threads, this reminds me of a post made a couple years ago by FREEFALLE7 of AR15.com......

The short of the story, barrel nut was loose, soldier failed to report it. Eventually through training the barrel nut threads working against the upper receiver threads sheared off the weaker threads of the upper.

Result: The barrel detached from the weapon.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4824046338_38feb5c6e2_b.jpg

Muddyboots
24 July 2010, 15:54
Quib, that is an amazing photo! I particularly like the P-cord retainer line!

Accuracy probably was not good (I jest!) but the rifle should sort of function with out the barrel nut as long as the retainer line is tight ( I can't believe I typed that!?!) One of the geniuses of the Stoner design is where the pressure load is on the system. The Upper is there primarily there to hold stuff "near" other stuff. The Bolt locks into the Barrel Extension, not the upper. Cool when you think about it!

Just thinking out loud...

Muddyboots

Stickman
24 July 2010, 16:04
I have no concerns using a barrel nut multiple times.

Quib
24 July 2010, 16:07
Quib, that is an amazing photo! I particularly like the P-cord retainer line!

LOL......who knows what would have happened to the barrel if it wasn't dummied to the rest of the weapon with that section of 550 cord!

It probably would have went unnoticed until it was time to turn the weapon back in, at which time the Armorer would have been scratching his head wondering why the weapon wouldn't sit upright in the rack. ;)