PDA

View Full Version : Battle Arms Development Excerpt - NRA American Rifleman

federalist22
24 July 2010, 12:29
I ran across this in a recent NRA American Rifleman issue. Apparently, Battle Arms Development (yes.... BAD) has developed a new safety selector for the AR (15 and 10). The BAD Ambidextrous Safety Selector (http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/badass.php) (ASS, yes.... BADASS - no joke here). It appears that the BADASS can be installed in an ambi or non-ambi config using torx screws on either side of the safety. The lever(s) have smooth edges with diagonal grooves on the sides for grip and comes with a stainless detent for install.

http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/badass.php

From the BAD order page: Semi-Auto Ambidextrous Safety Selector for the AR15 / AR10. Both levers are detachable and interchangeable for maximum flexibility and user preference. Package comes with:

* (1) SAFETY BAR/AXIS
* (1) STANDARD LEVER
* (1) SHORT LEVER
* (1) THIN LEVER
* (2) TORX SCREWS
* (1) HARDENED STAINLESS STEEL SAFETY DETENT (by KNS Precision)
* (1) T10 TORX L-Key
* Precision CNC Machined from Solid Bar Stock Steel!
* MADE IN U.S.A.
* PATENT PENDING

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Stickman
24 July 2010, 15:32
No experience with it, but it looks pretty straight forward. Its not a part that should be easy to mess up, and I like the varying lengths offered.

KAC has a nice one as well.

Duffy
25 July 2010, 07:05
Gentleman,
I've been a reader of WEVO for a long time, this is my first post here but you all probably know of me on ar15.com and m4carbine.net.
Our ambidextrous safety selector is the result of about a year's research, testing and input from users. This current product is actually the second iteration, our first effort was too radical and didn't offer enough purchase, so went the more conventional route.

We know its name may raise some eye brows in some circles, to us, it's only following our naming convention for the AR platform. BAD (company initials) followed by the product initials (Ambidextrous Safety Selector), others like RRA and Bushmaster also call theirs ambidextrous safety selector.

We had spent no time and energy on its looks, for appearance was not one of the design goals. Every curve, surface, angle of the lever and serration, selection of material (including screws) was scrutinized. The 90 degree surface of the lever is no accident, neither is the broad surface area at the tip of the lever. The detent groove and holes were the most time consuming and difficult part to get right, we made improvements to that area, though it's transparent and unnoticed by users.

When it went to market at the end of May, we opted to offer three levers of fairly conventional design (as outlined above). Since then, we have two additional levers based on user input and request: thin-short, and hybrid (akin to the KAC PDW scalloped lever based on our standard lever). In a short time, we've also started a product improvement program to enhance the selector, these changes are:
1. Inclusion of a KNS stainless steel detent
2. Inclusion of a higher quality T10 wrench
3. Reduced elector's flat/cam area diameter for better compatibility with aftermarket triggers

The PIP is an ongoing program, we will continue to make improvements to the product without increasing cost to customers.

We will be bringing to market a 45 degree, short throw selector this Fall.

The select fire version is coming to market sooner than we planned, its development schedule and cycle has been compressed and hastened by an urgent request.

We're close to finishing the select fire version. The M16 version we’re currently developing has a different lever attachment interface than the more conventional ambidextrous selectors, the new attachment method is much stronger and relegates the screw to the task of simply keeping the lever in place, pressure and shear force is born by the robust interface instead.

We can send the WEVO staff couple of T&E samples to try when we have them back in stock in the first half of August.

Please contact me any time if there's any question I can answer for you, roger@battlearmsdevelopment.com

Thanks you guys.

federalist22
25 July 2010, 08:00
Duffy,

Great background on your product here. Like I said, I saw the BADASS in the latest NRA magazine, so I had to track it down online. I have tried the Bushmaster ambi-safety and it is less than desirable; the screws are weak.

I would be ordering 4 BADASSs right now if new safeties were at the top of my shopping list--they are a close second, so maybe in August. Although I have not tried out this product, I figured I would post it up here so others were aware of it and we could get some feedback on it. Thanks.

I am not WEVO staff, but I am always interested in a T&E. I'm not offended if the offer is not extended, but I am open to supporting a new innovation.

- Adam

Duffy
25 July 2010, 08:10
Hi federalist, thank you for the kind words :)

We've been out of stock for a while, the current production is delayed by about 10 days from the heat treat facility's being swamped by other jobs, but there are no other delays. We just sent off our last T&E model to a destination we cannot disclose, if you'd like to try one before we have them back in stock, please get one from Henderson Defense, they still have them in stock. Please do bear in mind that Henderson Defense carries our kit in two lever version, you'll need to specify which two levers you like. If you do get a set from Henderson Defense, please get a kit with a short and thin lever, I'll be happy to supply you with a standard lever and a KNS SS selector detent to complete the package.

If you like to wait for the incoming production units, please email me :) Thank you!

Paulo_Santos
25 July 2010, 08:21
Duffy, I'm a big fan of the ambi safeties so I'd love to one for T&E. I'll send you an E-Mail.

Duffy
25 July 2010, 08:54
Paulos,
I'll send one to you as soon as we have them back in stock, it'll be a unit with PIP enhancements :)
Thank you.

Here's a short clip of comparison of 45 degree short throw and the standard 90 degree selector: http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/?action=view&current=shortfootage.mp4

Aragorn
25 July 2010, 10:58
The 45 degree short throw is cool. I'd have the "Fire" selector filled and re-engraved to match the selector indication. I may just have to do that this fall.

The 45 degree lever may also prevent blisters for those running ambi's.

tac40
25 July 2010, 11:07
I'm in the process of ordering one. I'm a lefty shooter so an ambi would be nice just to see what my speed would be.
Duffy I like the Assault Safety Selector company name[BD]

Duffy
25 July 2010, 11:26
We have a simple way to deal with the FIRE marking, many may scoff at the idea, but it works so it's not stupid [BD] We will reveal what it is once we have a final version of it. Our intention is to have a receiver with the proper markings, we're looking to work with Henderson Defense or Spike's Tactical to that end.

What makes the short throw so different and effective is that while going from Safe to Fire isn't difficult, going from Fire to Safe almost always requires the user to shift his grip (unless he has an ambidextrous selector, in which case he can use his trigger finger to flick it back to Safe). With the 45 degree short throw, it's but a raise of the thumb to accomplish.

The select fire version of this will be 0-90-45, this is done with the input from folks much more qualified than we :)

Stickman
25 July 2010, 13:15
Duffy,

Thanks for sharing the information over here. I know that Staff here would be interested in doing reviews based off multiple shooters view points.

Duffy
25 July 2010, 15:24
Thank you Stick. We've been working with Army Chief and he asked us to send you guys couple of T&E unit (we were already running out at the time so couldn't do it), he has one he's been testing :D

Policetacteam
30 July 2010, 15:27
I'm glad to see that Battle Arms Development ambi safety finally made its way over to WEVO. The BAD ASS (still makes me laugh) is very well made and designed. I like that the safety is truly modular and allows for multiple configurations. The serrations give just enough grip without being too aggressive, the machining is top notch, the anodizing looks high quality, and the included KNS pins make for a fast, crisp switch from safe to fire. I think once these get out and circulated people will truly appreciate the work and design that went into them. There is also a 45 degree throw lever in the works as well. I had an opportunity to test one of the unfinished models. I really like the idea and how it functioned. I think Battle Arms Development is making some high quality, innovative parts that will be well received in the AR community.

Army Chief
30 July 2010, 18:28
We've had some limited discussion about this part on the Staff board, but the bottom line is that I've had a month or two to spend with one, and am prepared to state that it is truly a best-in-class product. In terms of construction, materials and -- most importantly -- design, nothing really compares. The product was introduced on M4C in a thread that many professionals ignored because of some overt fanboy overtones, but once we got past that point, it soon became apparent that Battle Arms Development had something special on their hands.

I've put most of my effort into actuations, experimenting with various configurations and testing it with different receivers/triggers, rather than into a public review, but as stated, I'm at the point where any reservations I may have had initially have long since disappeared. This will become standard fare on all my rifles, replacing even the KAC ambi on the SR-15E3 ... it's that good.

AC

Duffy
30 July 2010, 18:47
Thank you guys for the kind words :)

We're humbled by the feedback and reviews by those that have used our selectors. We're striving to continuously bring improvements to the kit, the M16 selector is one such example. The lever attachment method is different than the conventional bar/channel interface, and much more robust.

In addition to the two new levers to be introduced in August (thin-short and hybrid), we're also playing with a super short lever. I will post pictures of the M16 selector and the new levers as soon as we have them :)

Multitaskertools
30 July 2010, 18:51
Nice looking product.

BTW i was also extremely impressed with the design and execution of the BAD-T1

:beer:

Duffy
30 July 2010, 20:00
Thank you, we're impressed with the MultiTasker as well [:D]

We have an AR tool based on the T1, but it's now on the back burner so we can concentrate on the ambidextrous selector and other ambidextrous control on AR15 and other platforms, also partially because of the MultiTasker, our concept is different than the MultiTasker but in practicality, the MultiTasker can do more due to its size and configuration, ours is far smaller [:D]

Duffy
4 August 2010, 18:24
BAD-CASS-3P, M16 selector in the white, serrations hadn't been cut at this point :)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/Assembled.jpg

Duffy
7 August 2010, 15:48
As you know, our ambidextrous safety selector is an ongoing project, continuously refined with input from users. The two new levers are the direct result of the input we have gratefully received from folks, and Spike's Tactical.

A few hasty pics:

Short-thin
Same length as our short lever, same thickness as our thin lever. It's by far the most unobtrusive lever. You do lose some purchase from such a diminutive lever, but it is more than usable.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/short-thinright.jpg http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/short-thinrightSafe.jpg

Hybrid
Essentially a cut down of our standard lever, the upper 50% is the same thickness as the standard lever, the bottom 50% is the same thickness as our thin lever. Our thanks to Tom at Spike's, as well as users and customers that have suggested such a geometry. A short fall of the thin lever is that on the left side of the receiver, the selector stop is almost flush with it, making it somewhat difficult to access. The Hybrid lever has additional thickness ahead of the rear selector stop to mitigate that, while the thin profile in the lower 50% does its best to not interfere with a user's trigger finger while the weapon is on Fire.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/Hybridleft.jpg http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/HybridrightSafe.jpg

Cost of extra levers and hybrid lever will be published shortly http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

A T&E sample has gone to Paulo, two T&E samples went to Stickman. The package that went to Stickman has all five levers. The normal configuration of our kit is three levers (standard, short, and thin), and does not include these two additional levers. However, we can customize the three levers anyway a customer wishes, with the exception of the hybrid lever which involves a bit extra cost (due to more machining time), there's no cost to substitute other levers. We only ask that we be notified of custom configurations prior to shipping.

Duffy
10 August 2010, 08:47
We have decided to start a low volume production of the 45 degree short throw selectors. Due to the small number of units, the heat treat and platting cost is spread over fewer units and this will add probably 3 bucks to each unit. This is the only way we can bring them to market by the end of August, instead of mid October as originally planned.

TripleBravo
10 August 2010, 14:08
My interest is peaking...looks like a good product!

Duffy
10 August 2010, 15:46
Thank you, hopefully Stick and Paulo have received their T&E samples and put them through their paces :D

Stickman
10 August 2010, 22:44
Not yet on this end, but I'm sure it will be soon. I've got a few different people lined up to include a large variety of hand sizes, as well as lefties and "normal" shooters.

At $3 extra for the 45 degree option, it seems like you would be losing money. That is more than reasonable considering the lower volume of the item.

Aragorn
10 August 2010, 23:12
Sounds very reasonable to me. I'm on the list for one of the 45's and I've got NO problem with an extra $3.

Duffy
11 August 2010, 07:25
It may be more or less than $3 per unit, we do try to keep it reasonable :)

Paulo_Santos
11 August 2010, 16:08
Mine came in today. I'm going to put it on my AR if I have some time today. I played around with it and I'm beyond impressed with it compared to the one I have. This thing is rock solid.

Multitaskertools
11 August 2010, 21:32
Looks great, really dig the hybrid version.

Duffy
13 August 2010, 16:23
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/bothleversfromunderthereceiver.jpg

CASS-3P, M16. Even with the patent pending area blocked off, you can see the fortified disc of the lever :)

Duffy
17 August 2010, 17:39
In case you gents missed the review by Matt:
http://jerkingthetrigger.wordpress.com/2010/08/17/review-battle-arms-development-ambidextrous-safety-selector-b-a-d-a-s-s/

:D

Aragorn
17 August 2010, 22:48
I hadn't REALLY known how much thought actually went into these selectors until I read that. I think the only word that truly fits here is "Badass!" :P

Can't wait to get mine!

matthewdanger
18 August 2010, 15:26
I hadn't REALLY known how much thought actually went into these selectors until I read that. I think the only word that truly fits here is "Badass!" :P

Can't wait to get mine!

This kind of comment really means a lot to me. Thanks for the kind words and thank you Duffy for the opportunity.

Duffy
18 August 2010, 15:47
Thank you Matt! We're grateful for the time and effort you took to write such a thorough review. I emailed the link to the shop, and they're all glowing too :D

Duffy
21 August 2010, 09:46
This is a cracked cast or MIM selector a customer took a picture of and sent us. It came from a new rifle, hasn't even been shot yet.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/crackedselector.jpg

Another thread on TOS, again brand new.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/3790300790_9e3ef715db_b.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/3789494795_1c609af64b_b.jpg

I don't think these selectors are made in the US, they're cast or MIM.

CNC machining all the levers and selector centers is expensive, so is having the work done in the US.

In case you were wondering why ours cost twice as much ;)

Ryo
21 August 2010, 11:57
Definitely looks like a great product. I'll have to pick up one to test out. Probably put it on a Double Diamond 9mm lower I'm testing out.

Duffy
22 August 2010, 07:13
Thanks Ryo.

The PIP components to be incorporated into this October production include (so far):

1. An optional end cap to turn our selector into a reversible and convertible selector. Not in the same sense as the selectors that come with the new Colt ARs, which requires that you remove the pistol grip and detent , pull out the safety from the current side and reinsert it from the other side of the receiver, all the while it can only have one lever, never another on the weak side.

An end cap for our selector will allow a user to add/remove the lever from either side very quickly without disassembling the pistol grip. The end cap can always be replaced by a lever should the user wish to convert it back to its original ambidextrous form.

2. Widened selector axis flat/trigger interface to accommodate some triggers when in use with out of spec receivers.

Duffy
22 August 2010, 09:19
Prototype CASS-3P, M16. The cap is also a prototype, without the groove indicator (production version will have the groove indicator.) The semi auto cap is lower profile. The CASS-3P has a different attachment method so it appears to stick out more.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/CASS-P3M16CAP.jpg

leenco12
8 September 2010, 21:15
Gentleman,
I've been a reader of WEVO for a long time, this is my first post here but you all probably know of me on ar15.com and m4carbine.net.
Our ambidextrous safety selector is the result of about a year's research, testing and input from users. This current product is actually the second iteration, our first effort was too radical and didn't offer enough purchase, so went the more conventional route.

We know its name may raise some eye brows in some circles, to us, it's only following our naming convention for the AR platform. BAD (company initials) followed by the product initials (Ambidextrous Safety Selector), others like RRA and Bushmaster also call theirs ambidextrous safety selector.

We had spent no time and energy on its looks, for appearance was not one of the design goals. Every curve, surface, angle of the lever and serration, selection of material (including screws) was scrutinized. The 90 degree surface of the lever is no accident, neither is the broad surface area at the tip of the lever. The detent groove and holes were the most time consuming and difficult part to get right, we made improvements to that area, though it's transparent and unnoticed by users.

When it went to market at the end of May, we opted to offer three levers of fairly conventional design (as outlined above). Since then, we have two additional levers based on user input and request: thin-short, and hybrid (akin to the KAC PDW scalloped lever based on our standard lever). In a short time, we've also started a product improvement program to enhance the selector, these changes are:
1. Inclusion of a KNS stainless steel detent
2. Inclusion of a higher quality T10 wrench
3. Reduced elector's flat/cam area diameter for better compatibility with aftermarket triggers

The PIP is an ongoing program, we will continue to make improvements to the product without increasing cost to customers.

We will be bringing to market a 45 degree, short throw selector this Fall.

The select fire version is coming to market sooner than we planned, its development schedule and cycle has been compressed and hastened by an urgent request.

We're close to finishing the select fire version. The M16 version we’re currently developing has a different lever attachment interface than the more conventional ambidextrous selectors, the new attachment method is much stronger and relegates the screw to the task of simply keeping the lever in place, pressure and shear force is born by the robust interface instead.

We can send the WEVO staff couple of T&E samples to try when we have them back in stock in the first half of August.

Please contact me any time if there's any question I can answer for you, roger@battlearmsdevelopment.com

Thanks you guys.

Great background on your product here. Like I said, I saw the BADASS in the latest NRA magazine, so I had to track it down online. I have tried the Bushmaster ambi-safety and it is less than desirable; the screws are weak.

I would be ordering 4 BADASSs right now if new safeties were at the top of my shopping list--they are a close second, so maybe in August. Although I have not tried out this product, I figured I would post it up here so others were aware of it and we could get some feedback on it. Thanks.

I am not WEVO staff, but I am always interested in a T&E. I'm not offended if the offer is not extended, but I am open to supporting a new innovation.

Ryo
8 September 2010, 21:37
I just got some to test out. So far I have to say the workmanship is very good. The Ti safety detent is very slick. In the combination with the safety selector core it glides very easily.. which to be honest I have to take some time getting use to since I'm use to the harder to rotate LMT safety selector. I have to take some time to look at it closely and do some comparisons. So far it's very positive.. Stiill unsure which of the selectors I like the most.

Stickman
8 September 2010, 22:15
Review on this one has started, we will be updating soon.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Miscellaneous/868W9613-1024-Stick.jpg

Duffy
11 September 2010, 13:39
Thanks Stick!

Duffy
20 September 2010, 17:56
Some news for everyone.

We have the green light for the NEW 45 degree selector. It's new in that it will have a nub on the left side that prevents it from being a drop-in kit for a conventional receiver that's not properly marked. We are in talks with Spike's to create a special 45 degree receiver with proper Fire markings.

If the 45 degree selector is modified to fit a conventional receiver, it voids the warranty. Our policy is that it should be used only with the special receiver with proper markings for everyone's safety. We have no right to tell anyone what to do with it after they've bought it, only that unauthorized modification voids the warranty and is in violation of our terms and conditions. We have nothing to gain, money wise, in the special receiver, as Spike's will sell them. We just need to cover ourselves by making the selector into a non-drop in kit for unmarked receivers.

Lastly, we have received a small number of Geissele SSA and DMR triggers, we'll be updating our site shortly to enable folks to buy the best selector AND one of the best triggers together at a special bundle price :)

Aragorn
24 September 2010, 15:30
I think I got my wires crossed about the end cap. Are those going to be included in every order or are they going to be an option in the place of one of the levers?

Ryo
25 September 2010, 00:39
I think I got my wires crossed about the end cap. Are those going to be included in every order or are they going to be an option in the place of one of the levers?

I believe it's a optional item.

Duffy
25 September 2010, 03:44
Yes the end cap is an optional item, it costs as much to make as a lever for now, as we are only making a limited number of them.

TripleBravo
25 September 2010, 11:20
T&E on its way to an EAG class next week...

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/BADASS%20selector/3peicekituninstalled01.jpg

Duffy
26 September 2010, 10:09
CASS-3P, M16 :)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/CASS-3P.jpg

TripleBravo
14 October 2010, 13:22
Finally got the EAG carbine back for some more photos...

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/HDR%20images/selector01leftCU.jpg

Duffy
14 October 2010, 16:18
Thanks Bill!

The new end cap for the semi auto selectors just came in :)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/semiautoendcap.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/endcapinstalled.jpg

Duffy
20 October 2010, 19:57
We do believer that never before has a selector been under this much scrutiny, we're happy to share technical details with anyone that's willing to read this boring stuff :)

On the perceived looseness on 0.005 percent of the receivers.
Cast selectors are not precision machined like ours, this can be a bad thing (mostly not so good, but easily overlooked) and good (just one).

When a cast selector is installed, you can most likely move it side to side inside the receiver. The reason for this is the detent holes are much bigger than the detent (ours are 0.005 larger in diameter than the detent itself), there's quite a bit of slack. The side to side movement doesn't hinder the operation of the weapon. It can serve to accommodate out of spec detent/detent spring housing if it's drilled not where it's supposed to be drilled, e.g. a little bit too forward toward the muzzle, a little bit more toward the rear, a little to the left or right. Because of the slack, the detent usually has no issue seating in its general area.

Our detent holes are far more precise (0.005 larger than the detent). In a receiver where the detent/detent spring hole on the receiver isn't drilled to spec, the detent may not seat squarely in the detent holes on the selector. When the detent isn't fully seated, it then can be more easily rotated out of Fire/Safe.

While spring tension (length of the detent spring, the depth of the detent spring hole inside the pistol grip) can play a part, chief among the reasons our selector can feel loose has to do with the receiver.

We're investigating making our selectors more compatible with this aspect of the tolerance issues on the receiver, we could make the detent holes less precise, and have more side to side movement as a result.

In PIP1, we made the selector flat area diameter smaller to accommodate triggers that are not of USGI specs. In PIP2, we increased the width of this flat area to accommodate slightly out of spec receivers when a DMR trigger is in use. It's about impossible to make it fit every receiver made, and receivers that haven't even been brought to market, the tolerance issues will be with us forever.

In other news, the CASS-3P, M16 have gone through 80 THOUSAND rounds (shared among 8 production samples) without a single failure and loose lever. [:D]

ETA: correction on the number of samples, it's 80,000 rounds through 8 samples, in semi and auto fire.

TripleBravo
20 October 2010, 20:37
We do believer that never before has a selector been under this much scrutiny, we're happy to share technical details with anyone that's willing to read this boring stuff :)

Thanks for providing so much information. Some of us find it fascinating!!

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/BADASS%20selector/selector02rightCU.jpg

Duffy
20 October 2010, 21:50
Thank you Bill, we have a commitment to produce top quality and well engineered product, and an obligation to our customers to make sure they get the best we have to offer.

The info we share isn't meant to lay blame elsewhere. When we screw up (as I have in missing a detent, or putting the wrong lever in the kit) we freely admit it and make things right for customers. There are manufacturers that product improve their gear to accommodate issues not of their making. We're proud to be counted as one of them, we do it not for bragging rights, but for our customers :)

Aragorn
20 October 2010, 22:46
I'm really enjoying mine. I ordered a standard lever, as well as a short and short/thin, thinking I'd like the short/thin on the portside of the weapon. I was surprised to find I actually preferred the short as it made using my trigger finger to safety the weapon much easier. During installation I had a bit of a surprise though. Before I had installed my new B.A.D. A.S.S. I was running what came in my G&R LPK. It was VERY crisp and VERY positive to begin with. However after installation of the new selector and KNS detent, it was downright mushy. I had amazing purchase on the levers themselves, but sliding from fire to safe and back felt like it was sliding through mud. I had even installed it with a light coat of slip's grease. I uninstalled and reinstalled. Same thing. Then I reinstalled using my original detent and the B.A.D. A.S.S. was crisp and clean as ever. I just thought it strange that the KNS detent appeared to be the problem. Either way it was easily solved, and I love the new selector. I've recommended it to several people already, and have a couple more who are wanting to feel it on my gun before buying their own.

Looks sharp too.

Duffy
21 October 2010, 06:12
Thanks Aragorn, this is the first time we heard of this. The KNS detent almost always has a positive impact on engagement and rotation, this is the case for almost all of the selectors, cast or machined like ours.

I'd wager that if the same KNS detent and our selector are installed on another rifle, the result would not be the same, in that it'll be crispy and positive. In some cases a different detent spring or pistol grip can make the difference as well.

Thank you for your feedback!

Aragorn
22 October 2010, 12:17
I'd wager that if the same KNS detent and our selector are installed on another rifle, the result would not be the same, in that it'll be crispy and positive. In some cases a different detent spring or pistol grip can make the difference as well.

Very possibly. As it is, I'll be changing out my grip soon so I'll be able to report if that makes a difference or not. Also a buddy felt the new selector for the first time today. He's a lefty and instantly decided he needs two. [:D]

Duffy
22 October 2010, 15:54
Thank you Aragorn for being a part of the grass root movement [:D]

Some exciting news on the CASS-3P, M16 in the months go come ;)

Ryo
27 October 2010, 17:51
Thought to share some photos.

45 degree Lever
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/BAD%20Ambi%20Safety%20Selector/IMG_3513mod.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/BAD%20Ambi%20Safety%20Selector/IMG_3558mod.jpg

KNS Precision stainless steel safety detent versus RRA detents (left and middle (KNS Precision) are approximately 1000+ rds fired, right one is guessed at 3000+ rds fired)
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/BAD%20Ambi%20Safety%20Selector/IMG_3540mod.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/BAD%20Ambi%20Safety%20Selector/IMG_3539mod.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/BAD%20Ambi%20Safety%20Selector/IMG_3538mod.jpg

BAD vs LMT 90 degree levers
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/BAD%20Ambi%20Safety%20Selector/IMG_3547mod.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/BAD%20Ambi%20Safety%20Selector/IMG_3545mod.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/BAD%20Ambi%20Safety%20Selector/IMG_3543mod.jpg

Duffy
28 October 2010, 05:40
Thanks Ryo!

Duffy
6 November 2010, 14:43
The long awaited M16 selector is ready :P

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/CASS-3PM16withoptions3.jpg

Please note that the CASS-3P, M16 will only come with two levers by default, a third lever or cap is an option. The picture above shows optional equipment.

Production 45 degree short throw selector. Notice the nub, this is not a drop in replacement selector for conventional receivers, Spike's and others will have specially marked and cut receivers for it very soon :)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/45degree2.jpg

Policetacteam
6 November 2010, 15:13
Hmmm...just a nub standing between the user and pure 45 degree bliss! I'm not throwing any ideas around...but...:rolleyes:

Duffy
6 November 2010, 15:22
Lol, and let none be uttered ;) The nub looks big, but compare it with the screw head and you'll get a feel on its size.

Every 45 degree selector will be accompanied by the 7 page terms and conditions form. It has more pages than what comes with a fully assembled firearm :D

stifled
6 November 2010, 18:26
Huge fan of these selectors. I've been running these in 3 guns and everyone who has tried them out really likes them. That, and Duffy shipped my first order about 15 minutes after I placed it.

Duffy
7 November 2010, 06:52
Love your avatar stifled :)

Thank you for your kind words!

Duffy
29 November 2010, 18:11
Hope Matt doesn't mind me posting his 45 degree short throw review here [BD]
http://jerkingthetrigger.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/review-battle-arms-development-ambi-safety-selector-short-throw/

TOM1911
30 November 2010, 15:24
;)Hey, Duffy.. Fancy meeting you here. I've been getting used to the new saftey and, hands down it's the best design for the semi-auto AR out there.

Duffy
30 November 2010, 18:20
Hi Tom! [:)] Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad it's working out well for you :)

Please let me know if you like the short lever on both sides, our offer to exchange it is good forever [:D]

Duffy
1 December 2010, 19:14
We will have a limited number of Cerakoted semi auto selectors next month (Jan. 2011), in FDE, OD, and gun metal gray [:D]

In addition to the color change, Cerakote adds greater resistance to salt water spray and corrosion. The coating will be done by Ernie Bray at Red Creek Tactical [:)]

tac40
2 December 2010, 08:21
I finally got them and have them on my Colt lowers. The BAD ASS levers are smooth/slick to operate and are well made.

Duffy
3 December 2010, 18:30
Thank you tac40 [:d]

Jeff Hawkins
4 December 2010, 09:15
1st post on the forum for me. I installed the BAD ASS lever on my M&P 15 and am impressed with the quality and function of the product. Having the ability to choose the lever configuration is a huge plus. Wanted to add on to this thread by saying that I am even more impressed by the level of customer service I have received from BAD. Roger from BAD has gone out of his way to make sure the unit worked as smoothly as possible with my particular weapon build. It is obvious to me that the staff at BAD are committed 100% to the successful development of their product as well as the complete satisfaction of their customers.

Rainier Sales
4 December 2010, 21:32
Welcome Jeff!

Duffy
4 December 2010, 21:41
Thank you Jeff, I appreciate your patience in working with us to resolve the issue [:)]

Couple of 45 degree short throw selectors in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRkmt3Hhu0Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRkmt3Hhu0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyVVTTxl0MQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyVVTTxl0MQ

Jeff Hawkins
4 December 2010, 23:46
Thank you! Love the site, lot's of good info here.

Also, looking forward to checking out the 45 degree levers. :)

Duffy
5 December 2010, 11:34
Jeff,
AR15.com, Spike's Tactical, and a few others will be making receivers for the 45 degree selectors. Most of them are to be used exclusively with the 45 degree selector, some will be compatible with both 45 and 90 degree selectors, so folks will have a choice.

I think in a few years, the 45 degree option will be common place :)

Duffy
10 December 2010, 18:24
Update: CASS-3P, M16 just passed 100,000 rounds mark in trials, fired by 8 weapons :)

Duffy
20 December 2010, 15:39
Thank you Stick for the Military Times review!
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/12/19/battle-arms-development-ambidextrous-safety-selector-b-a-d-a-s-s/#more-7519

Duffy
6 January 2011, 17:49
From AXTS Weapons, click to see the video with the RH bolt catch feature (https://axtsweapons.com/), the 45 degree receiver :D
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/ATX3.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/ATX1.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/ATX4.jpg

More to come from ATX we can't disclose yet :P

TripleBravo
6 January 2011, 19:30
Look'n good, Duffy!

Ryo
7 January 2011, 01:02
Very cool.. wish I could get fun toys here.

Duffy
8 January 2011, 07:41
Ryo, it's a semi auto receiver with Auto markings ;)

Ryo
8 January 2011, 21:52
Ryo, it's a semi auto receiver with Auto markings ;)

You tease! Very nice.

Duffy
11 January 2011, 13:02
We are developing a different M16 selector, can't release any details yet ;)

Duffy
29 January 2011, 11:33
AXTS billet receivers, AX556 and AX762 with fully ambidextrous controls, compatible with 45 degree and 90 degree selectors

AX556
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/AX556-2.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/AX556-4.jpg

AX762
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/AX762-3.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/AX762-4.jpg

Mag well
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/AX762-7.jpg

**** I changed the images to links, with images sizes over 3,000x2400, that is simply far too large for viewing. Feel free to post a smaller version.

Stick *****

TripleBravo
29 January 2011, 13:55
AWESOME!!

Eric
29 January 2011, 17:48
AXTS billet receivers, AX556 and AX762 with fully ambidextrous controls, compatible with 45 degree and 90 degree selectors
Those are some MASSIVE photos. Perhaps some resizing to fit the screen?

JohnnyRambo
30 January 2011, 10:20
I really like this product. Not only does it look cool but it functions very well. It was my first ambi selector and took a little getting used to. But now I love it.

The different size options are awesome.

Great product! Excellent addition to any lower receiver. Especially nice billet lowers!

Duffy
31 January 2011, 06:11
Sorry about the big pics [BD]

Stickman
31 January 2011, 08:39
No problem.

Duffy
12 March 2011, 15:43
We now have Cerakoted selectors :)

These pictures show other similarly colored objects for comparison:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/ODwithTD.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/FDEwithTD.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/gunmetalgraywithknife2.jpg

lingeringlight
14 March 2011, 13:12
I Just installed my BAD ASS on a S&W MP15. I am a lefty and this is a fantastic upgrade. I put the short lever on my trigger side to engage the safety and a standard lever on the right side to disengage the safety with my thumb. natural and quick..ridiculously easy to switch out and well worth the money in my very humble and inexperienced opinion. FWIW it seems to have a more distinct click into position than the factory selector did.

Peter

Duffy
15 March 2011, 08:20
Thank you Pete! :)
For the vast majority, the precision billet selector center and the supplied KNS detent results in smooth rotation and positive detent engagement. In rare cases, the engagement can feel mushy and the rotation very light. In other rare cases, it's too stiff and hard to rotate.

Since we hold very tight tolerance on our products, these issues can almost always be traced back to the detent spring and pistol grip, i.e. spring tension.

These issues have been documented and apply to all selectors, not just ours. We're happy to answer any questions our customers may have regarding the interaction of various components, and the dynamics of parts of varying tolerances working with others :)

CLBME
15 March 2011, 10:12
I ordered a new BAD ASS for my Stag based on reviews here and my brother's experience with his- two posts above. Before I have even received my safety I am very happy to report that Roger has already provided great customer service. I placed an order last evening, that same evening I had confirmation of the order and a very kind personal email from Roger thanking me for my order. Wow what a way to start things off, and a rarity in today's business world. I will edit my post upon receiving and using the safety later this week. Thank you Roger!

EDIT- I received my safety yesterday. Fit and finish was outstanding. Easy to install and done quickly.

In terms of function I really like this safety for a few reasons. First, it seems easier for me to manipulate on the strong side as compared to the stock safety. The standard lever seems "boxier" for lack of a better term and thus makes operating it more ergonomic. (Granted I'm new to the rifle for all intents and purposes so it may be me.) Secondly, being able to put the safety on with your fire-control hand is much easier and more natural to me, although again I am getting used to this new method. Lastly, and obviously the purpose of the safety is being able to manipulate it in the "traditional" sense when shooting from your support side. This is a completely new act for me so it's awkward to begin with but trying to take the safety off when shooting lefty for me was really annoying as it wasn't "easy". The BAD-ASS rectifies that.

Lastly, I have received simply outstanding service from Roger at Battle Arms. He's been quick to reply to my emails, very accommodating, and is even sending me another lever to try while I decide which setup is best for me. (Right now I'm using two standard levers.)

Than you Roger for a great product and awesome service. Well worth every dollar.

Christian.

Duffy
16 March 2011, 05:57
Thank you! Please let us know how you like it :)

Duffy
16 March 2011, 18:04
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/4colors.jpg

:)

Ryo
16 March 2011, 19:51
I have to give you a call. :)

Duffy
17 March 2011, 12:40
Please do, your number has been changed :(

doull76
18 March 2011, 16:09
Just received my B.A.D. A.S.S in the FDE Cerakote. Great product and installed easily. Nice work on these, Duffy.

And an attempt at my poor quality photography to show how well the color match is:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc50/doull76/BAD.jpg

Duffy
18 March 2011, 21:26
Thank you doul76! I'm about to take some pictures like yours, except most I don't have a FDE stock, so mine will have FDE TD grip and FDE anti-rotation pins :)

Duffy
6 April 2011, 14:45
Courtesy of ar15.com, their latest billet, ambidextrous receiver

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/DSCN0977.jpg

Featuring billet construction (reminiscent of the Magpul receiver), Norgon ambi mag release, right side bolt release, and is compatible with both the 45 degree short throw, or the legacy 90 degree selector :)

Hatter
6 April 2011, 15:39
Ok... I'll go there... How much and are they available? That receiver looks sweet. Not shown in the AR15.com store.

Duffy
6 April 2011, 18:27
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1168992&page=4
AR15.com has not officially announced it yet, I do not have pricing or availability info, we only make one part for the project. If Ed spent as much time on the other components as he did with us (which I suspect he did), Ed had more than done his due diligence :)

Top shelf components everywhere. Norgon ambi mag release, Geissele trigger (I am not sure which model), Magpul MIAD grip and UBR stock. Right side bolt release, and of course our 45 degree selector.

I do not know how customizable it will be, for instance, legacy 90 degree selector instead of 45 degree, LMT or CTR stock instead of UBR, etc.

TripleBravo
22 April 2011, 00:28
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/BADASS%20selector/FDE-short-01.jpg

Hatter
22 April 2011, 05:34
And as an update the AR15.com receiver shown above has been released. It's available with a few stock options and runs about $800.00

Duffy
25 April 2011, 19:15
There MAY be some news regarding stripped receivers, I haven't talked to Ed but there are a lot of folks asking for it, so I think he may be inclined to go along. Especially those that already have the triggers and stocks they want to use, this is the way to go. The AR15.com billet receiver is a well considered package, they brought together all the components that were specifically chosen to meet their design goals. So to sell the stripped receiver is kind of like selling a Ferrari engine for folks to put into a VW, the end result just isn't the same as a complete Ferrari.

Anyway, we now have foliage green selectors available now too :)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/foliagegreen2.jpg

Duffy
6 May 2011, 19:56
On page 11 and 12 :)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/SmallArmsReviewarticle.jpg

Quib
6 May 2011, 20:49
Very nice!

Duffy
12 May 2011, 08:52
Thanks Quib!

My crappy pic of the CASS-3P, M16 made it to the SAR lol [BD]

Duffy
14 May 2011, 16:21
Have you guys seen that the AXTS forged lower is now ready for pre-order on AXTS's site https://axtsweapons.com/?

The production version has a new 45/90 degree compatible Fire/Semi pictogram.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/AXTSpictogram.jpg

One can order the forged receiver with our 45 degree or 90 degree selector, or without one :p

Duffy
18 May 2011, 07:34
Here are some early prototype pics of the two under consideration:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/RHprototype1.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/RHprototype2.jpg

The tool marks will be removed during tumbling and deburr, and there will be serrations and other minor modifications not shown in the pics.

Duffy
25 May 2011, 14:32
CASS-3P, SA (semi auto) prototype center.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/CASS-3PSA1.jpg

The CASS-3P family (M16 and semi auto) share the same levers. The CASS-3P, SA can use either the CASS-3P, M16 screws (shorter) or the current 90 degree and 45 degree selectors longer screws.

Please ignore the tool marks and the burr on the center flat, the prototype centers were not deburred and tumbled, so they show all the glories of a fresh-off-the-mill machined piece lol.

Duffy
1 June 2011, 14:40
We are now offering firefighters the same rate of discount as LE and MIL customers :)

Duffy
9 June 2011, 18:37
New 45 degree, 90 degree and M16 retail packaging, this batch is going to Rainier Arms :)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/AmbiSafetyPackaging.jpg

The card in the packaging contains the instructions manual, product attributes (90 degree or 45 degree, semi or select fire, country of origin, etc.)

TripleBravo
10 June 2011, 02:52
They look great, Duffy!

Quib
10 June 2011, 03:35
New 45 degree, 90 degree and M16 retail packaging, this batch is going to Rainier Arms :)

The card in the packaging contains the instructions manual, product attributes (90 degree or 45 degree, semi or select fire, country of origin, etc.)

Instruction Manual........very nice.

Policetacteam
10 June 2011, 05:38
The new packaging looks great! A much more professional representation of the Battle Arms product line. Its great to see the worlds best safety selector wearing some very sweet new packaging!! :cool:

Duffy
10 June 2011, 07:19
Thanks guys :)

Duffy
1 July 2011, 14:44
Here it is, there will be only one version of the reverse hybrid, the first one didn't work so well.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/RH1-1.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/RH5.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/RH4.jpg

All 12 prototypes have been shipped to testers today, and that's all we have until this September, if the feedback is positive :)

Duffy
1 July 2011, 15:54
Installed as a 45 degree right lever:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/RH6.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/RH7.jpg

The position indicator groove was not milled, but will be present on the production levers, as on all other levers.

Duffy
11 July 2011, 16:55
Thank you Matt for the preview/review!

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/blog/2011/07/09/review-battle-arms-development-cass-3p/

CASS-3P, SA (semi auto) will be available in 45 degree and 90 degree this September, we're working on additional levers for the CASS-3P family as well, currently there is the standard, short, thin levers and and end cap :)

neo9710
11 August 2011, 14:09
Are we still on schedule for September?!?!

Duffy
8 September 2011, 18:03
The crank lever is ready :)

Also, we'd like to say thank you LaRue Tactical for featuring our selector on their awesome rifle :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMine84RTEQ&feature=channel_video_title"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMine84RTEQ&feature=channel_video_title

TripleBravo
28 September 2011, 21:00
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/BADASS%2045%20Degree/BAD45-A-DAC-01-1024.jpg

I'm finally going to give one of the 45 degree levers a try.

Duffy
3 October 2011, 05:32
You'll love it :)

Duffy
3 October 2011, 20:09
Policestore video :) (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=14309/guntechdetail/Policestore-AR-15-AR-10-Ambidextrous-Safety-Selector?avad=avant)

rob_s
4 October 2011, 04:27
3B, I had no interest in them until I got an AXTS lower that came with one. After one range session I bought another one, used on the M4C EE, for my own gun.

Duffy
4 October 2011, 09:45
Rob, if you need another one, please contact me and I'll send you another for "T&E" [:D]

Actually, the dovetailed version will come out in early November, you might want to wait till then [:)]

rob_s
4 October 2011, 13:12
I think I can wait... [BD]

I'm already waiting for Brownells to ship me my K-grip for the same carbine and wanted to change out both at once, but the waiting on them is getting old quick...

TripleBravo
5 October 2011, 01:50
3B, I had no interest in them until I got an AXTS lower that came with one. After one range session I bought another one, used on the M4C EE, for my own gun.

Yea Rob...I posted this comment somewhere else, but when I fliped it for the first time, it was a real "oh shit" lightbulb moment for me.

On your wait for the K-grip...have you ever tried DSGarms? They always seem to get stuff faster than Brownells.

rob_s
5 October 2011, 06:46
Ran ~26 shooters through unconventional positions last night. Brokeback, SBU, rollover, and supine. Showed off the 45* and explained how it worked to the group, and after only a few of the positions they quickly figured out the advantage of both an ambi set of levers and a reduced throw, without even laying hands on. Simply getting out of their comfort zone and having trouble operating the stock controls and seeing another option in someone else's hands was a real eye opener for them.

Duffy
6 October 2011, 16:16
The initial resistance, prior training and some preconceived notion all conspire to make the short throw selector an item that needs hands on experience to appreciate, we've always known that it would be slow going. For those willing to try something different (it's not new, as it's been on other weapon systems for a long time), it's a great thing.

In other news...

303 stainless steel, these levers took weeks to machine :)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/SSlevers.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/SSleverAR10.jpg

Duffy
19 December 2011, 12:27
We'll keep updating this as more manufacturers make ready their 45 degree, and 45/90 compatible receivers.

The difference between a strictly 45 degree selector compatible receiver, and a 45/90 compatible receiver is the FIRE/pictogram position. A 45 degree only receiver's FIRE/pictogram engraving is close to 60 degrees, which allows the 45 degree's position indicator to point at it when the selector is set on FIRE. A 45/90 compatible receiver's FIRE/pictogram engraving is situated at 68 degrees, thereby allowing both the 45 and 90 degree selector to both point to its general direction when the selector is switched to FIRE.

45 degree compatible receiver:

Accurate Armory, 45 degree only receiver (45/90 compatible receiver may be coming)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/AccurateArmoryKY.jpg

45/90 compatible receiver:

AR15.com billet receiver
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/DSCN0979.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/DSCN0977.jpg

AXTS, A-DAC-F (forged) and AX556 (fully ambidextrous, billet) and AX762 (coming soon) receiver

A-DAC-F
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/ADAC-F.jpg

AX556
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/AX556.jpg

AX762
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/AX762.jpg

Photos courtesy of AR15.com, Military Moron, and Rainier Arms
:)

Duffy
7 May 2012, 16:04
Battle Arms Development is proud to announce it is now a Costa Ludus Syndicate :D

Battle Arms on Costa Ludus (http://www.costaludus.com/syndicate/detail.cfm?uid=22)

TripleBravo
7 May 2012, 20:03
Battle Arms Development is proud to announce it is now a Costa Ludus Syndicate :D

Battle Arms on Costa Ludus (http://www.costaludus.com/syndicate/detail.cfm?uid=22)

Congrats, Duffy!

Duffy
11 May 2012, 15:35
thanks! :D

Oh the 7th mount has been revealed:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/ax55636.jpg

8th (short crank):
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/shortcrank.jpg

Duffy
24 May 2012, 12:43
Rainier Arms now has a 45/90 compatible receivers as well :D

Rainier Arms receiver (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2124)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/RainierArmsREceiver.jpg

In other news, Smith & Wesson MP15-22 centers will be available next week. The centers are slightly longer to accommodate the wider receiver, the 15-22 selector centers are compatible with BAD-A.S.S. levers (not the dovetailed BAD-CASS levers) :)

Duffy
5 June 2012, 12:36
They are available now at Simple Weapon Solutions, we haven't put it on our site yet :p

Jon at Simple Weapon Solutions has much to do with the accelerated development pace of the 15-22 selector. We had discussed the possibility of it internally, but we didn't know if there was any interest. Jon made prototypes of the centers and, based on the responses and feedback on the SW forum, we decided to work together and bring it to market.

Price wise, it's the same as the .223 /.308, as it's the same material. Early on, the possibility of using aluminum was discussed, but the grade of aluminum we would have used was just as expensive as the 12L14 steel we already use, and would bring no additional benefits, so the center isn't "downgraded" from the .223 /.308 version, it is the same.

The 15-22 kit, is treated like any other selector we have. It comes with a KNS detent, two extra Grade 8 screws, a detent spring, and a T10 Torx wrench. No corners have been cut because it's meant for a .22LR. While a .223 / .308 selector will not work on a 15-22, a 15-22 selector can work on a center fire AR, so it'd be a poor policy to cut corners and ignore the possibility that it may be mistaken for a center fire selector and used in that manner.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/SWMP15-22.jpg

Duffy
9 July 2012, 13:53
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/SWAT.jpg

Who built this Mk18? :)

Duffy
17 August 2012, 11:29
:D

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/CajunPawnStar4.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/CajunPawnStar3.jpg

TripleBravo
18 August 2012, 08:25
They're showing up everywhere, Duffy. I know you can't find any of my lowers without a Battle Arms Development selector.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8448/7808526286_ff74d6d724_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/triplebravo/7808526286/)
Seekins Precision... (http://www.flickr.com/photos/triplebravo/7808526286/) by Triple Bravo (http://www.flickr.com/people/triplebravo/), on Flickr

Duffy
21 August 2012, 13:12
Hehe thanks Bill! :D

AR-10
21 August 2012, 14:15
Duffy I got one of your 2-lever kits from Rainier, and found I like the short lever on the left side of the receiver and nothing on the right.

Just saw on your website that endcaps are available, if I send in a brand new standard lever would you be willing to exchange it?

If not no big deal, I don't really care if I have a slot in my selector.

You guys should offer single lever kits that include an end cap - I'd buy more of these for sure, but don't want/need ambi levers on my other rifles.

Duffy
30 August 2012, 06:29
AR10, sorry about the late reply. Please send me an email with your shipping address, I will send you an end cap.

We will have a two lever kit option soon, or rather, two attachment option as the cap is counted as an attachment :)

Stickman
30 August 2012, 10:50
You guys should offer single lever kits that include an end cap - I'd buy more of these for sure, but don't want/need ambi levers on my other rifles.

You can see in some of my images that I use the BAD with nothing on the "off" side. I look at it as much more than just an ambi safety, I look at it is a great safety in general, and the ambi is just a plus if you need it.

AR-10
2 September 2012, 07:29
Agreed Stick, and thanks Duffy!

They really are nice selectors, I will be buying more.

Duffy
2 September 2012, 07:42
Thank you Stick!
The end cap has a story of its own. As originally developed, there was no talks or plans of making an end cap. It was during the development of the BAD-CASS-3P (dovetailed, M16 selector) that Remington passed along the request to make it an option.

As designed, our selectors had always been meant for ambidextrous operation, an end cap makes the selector a single lever selector, except with the following differences that set ours apart from a factory, single lever selector:

1. Being modular on both sides, it's now a rapidly reversible (left or right lever only) selector without the removal of the pistol grip, detent and detent spring.

2. It is a convertible (single lever, or dual levers) selector

3. Even as a single lever selector, the user still benefits from the billet construction, tighter tolerances, smooth rotation and positive detent engagement.

The inclusion of the cap will raise prices, the cap costs as much to produce as a lever, and with the lever exchange program, folks that want one can exchange a lever for it for free, and for those that don't need it, they're not paying extra for something they'll just leave in the bin :)

Duffy
2 September 2012, 07:43
Thank you 8541 Tactical for the high quality video review :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI4dDygqg2k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI4dDygqg2k

Duffy
7 September 2012, 09:17
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/ChrisCostaDoll.jpg :)

AR-10
8 September 2012, 09:56
You need to stop coming out with new levers, I just saw the crank and now I must have one.

Thanks again for the end cap, it showed up yesterday:

http://i48.tinypic.com/4tszz8.jpg

Duffy
8 September 2012, 14:59
There are no new levers on the horizon, after the 7th lever (short hybrid) comes out, that is ;)
Short crank is the 8th lever, the production schedule got turned around somehow...

Duffy
6 December 2012, 14:29
Information about the gen 2 BAD-ASS-ST and BAD-CASS-ST has been posted here and there, so here's the complete and long version.

For the last couple of years, we had dealt with few compatibility issues with the 45 degree, short throw selector. Mainly, it has problems with Wilson’s excellent TTU family of triggers. The problem isn’t universal on all TTU triggers, but enough for us to look for a solution. Among many aftermarket triggers, the TTUs are the only ones we’re aware of that exhibit incompatibility issues, it is a very small percentage.

The incompatibility with TTUs is one of the reasons behind BAD-ASS-ST’s revision. But before reports of TTU’s incompatibility, we had already begun to study the 50 degree throw.

The other reason is one that started our move to 50 degree:

When the detent is engaged in the selector’s detent holes, there’s a minor play, you can rotate the lever back and forth for a few degrees. This play is unavoidable, for the detent to seat in the detent holes, the holes must be slightly larger than the detent itself.

On a 90 degree, standard throw selector, this movement is insignificant. On a 45 degree selector, 2 to 3 degree of movement between SAFE and FIRE is far more noticeable.

From March of 2012, the redesigned detent groove depth, shoulder, and smaller detent holes on all the production selector centers have done a great job minimizing the play in the detent holes. The 5 degree increase helps make the play less noticeable.

The 50 degree short throw selector will still have the “lawyer pin”, as even at 50 degree, the pointer groove doesn’t point to the word FIRE, the letter F, or the pictogram.

Production units starting from December of 2012 will also feature a slightly smaller diameter in the center flat section to increase compatibility with aftermarket triggers.

The 50 degree short throw selector will first make its appearance in the BAD-ASS-ST format (non-dovetailed). The BAD-CASS-ST (dovetailed) will be produced in 50 degree throw as soon as existing inventory of 45 degree units are exhausted.

Lastly, the newest member of the short throw family is the short throw M16, 0-50-180 selector, scheduled to debut early next year. Stay tuned :D

UWone77
6 December 2012, 15:26
Duffy, the mods here need more of your product. Stickman won't share :D

Duffy
10 December 2012, 14:25
Hehehe, please email me and let me know what you and Stick need and I'll get them to you asap :D

Stickman
10 December 2012, 18:44
Duffy, the mods here need more of your product. Stickman won't share :D

Hahahahaa, I don't have enough for my own lowers, how can I share?!! [:D]

Duffy
11 December 2012, 12:06
Stick, I'll send enough so everyone that needs or wants one will have one, we're good like that :P

CLBME
6 March 2013, 15:41
I just purchased another Bad-Ass for my mid-length build. A thank you for the excellent service and outstanding product from Duffy. It's a pleasure to use the product and do business with the company. Cheers!

Duffy
21 April 2013, 15:25
Thank you CLBME! Hope you got some swag with it too? :)

UWone77
22 April 2013, 00:32
Duffy,

Maybe I missed it, but when are the 7th levers coming out?

Duffy
16 May 2013, 14:10
Uwone77, it's actually the 8th. The 7th lever, the short crank, has been out, we've been waiting for the 8th (short hybrid) to come out before we change all the product pictures. We had no idea the 8th was going to take months to finish :(

Duffy
16 May 2013, 14:10
Guys, regarding Cerakoted selectors...

Effective immediately, Cerakoted selectors will have Cerakoted levers and screws, but Parkerized centers.

We debated this internally and with Joey at War Sport, who does most of the Cerakoting on these selectors, it was decided to leave the center Parkerized. This is NOT a cost saving measure, but a step to ensure compatibility.

TDP diameter of the thickest section of the selector is 0.373 -0.015, we run such tight tolerances, it's right on the money. Cerakote does add a bit of thickness to it, even a 0.002 thickness might be too much for receivers with slightly smaller selector holes.

To date, Cerakoted selectors compatibility issues, specifically, its diameter being 0.002 or so larger than the host receivers, can be counted in one hand. However, with more manufacturers making AR receivers, it's virtually guaranteed a few will not be in spec, the prudent thing to do is preempt these issues once we identify it. In this case, leaving the center at TDP specs and not coating them.

Once the existing stock of coated centers (not many left) is exhausted, Cerkoted selectors will ship with Parkerized centers.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/OD-1_zps9dc6d6da.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Duffypoo/media/OD-1_zps9dc6d6da.jpg.html)

UWone77
21 May 2013, 02:36
Duffy,

On a side note, are there any plans to release BAD CASS Cores? I think I have 3x more CASS levers than ASS levers. Just sayin :)

Duffy
28 May 2013, 09:48
We can, if there's demand. BAD-ASS 90 degree selectors have been sold with three levers for a long time, so there are lots of left over levers. We may make MP15-22 and BAD-CASS-ST (dovetailed, 45 degree) centers available ;)