PDA

View Full Version : Remington 1911 R1?

Creeky73
27 July 2010, 15:31
anyone handled this yet, or have any initial impressions? Also, could someone school me on what the difference is between series 70 and 80 triggers?

Jerry R
30 July 2010, 16:22
Also, could someone school me on what the difference is between series 70 and 80 triggers?

Can't field your first question, but on the second (if you are speaking of the Colt style 1911 fire control groups) the Series 80 pistols modified the slide and frame to include a "transfer lever" that raises a spring loaded firing pin block when the trigger is properly pressed. This allows the firing pin to move forward when struck by the hammer and detonate the primer. When the firing pin block is in the lowered position, the Series 80 cannot fire (according to Colt's lawyers) if it is dropped on the hammer or muzzle. In a pinch, I believe a Series 80 firing pin could be used in either series, but a Series 70 firing pin could not be used in a Series 80 if all the other parts are left in the pistol.

If that is not what you are asking about, sorry I muddied the thread.

Creeky73
30 July 2010, 21:15
that is exactly what I was looking for, thank you for the info.

sonrider657
3 August 2010, 18:33
I handled one of the new Remginton 1911 R1's at a local gun shop. For the money, it is a very nice piece. Probably the best value in an American Made 1911.

Creeky73
7 August 2010, 15:07
it looks pretty nice from what I have seen online. I am obviously considering getting a 1911, but there is no way I am going to spend a grip of cash on one before I know if I am going to like it, so I have been looking at lower-end versions. At a gun show this past weekend, I handled a Springfield GI model, and it looks better up close than it does in pictures online IMO. I also handled a Rock Island entry level, and for the money, it looks ok and seems to get rave reviews online, although I hesitate to bring up a non-American 1911. One thing these cheap guns have in common, the sights are atrocious. Then I read some things about the series 70 vs 80 setups, and then some more stuff about 1911's that use MIM metal in production (not even sure exactly what that is) and I just end up getting confused and thinking I should just stay away from 1911's before I create another $1500 project for myself. Any thoughts or opinions on this are welcome.