PDA

View Full Version : when are palm shelf AR15 grips used?

Doogy
2 August 2010, 16:03
I like the solid look of the palm shelf Ergo grip, but haven't seen them too often on carbines. Many times i've seen them on longer barreled tripod equippped rifles. Does this mean that they are less suited to carbines for some reason?

Just curious, as I was thinking of trying one of my carbine, but thought I'd pose the question. thanks!

Doug

Optimus Prime
2 August 2010, 16:32
Generally they're used for bench and precision rifles. I guess there's nothing keeping you from using it on a carbine (it's your gun after all) but it's just too much stuff for a carbine for me.

Fallschirmjäger
2 August 2010, 20:30
Bench and precision; you want as few variables as possible. The palm swell encourages consistent hand placement.
Patrolling and combat; you want as few things getting in the way of at least Holding the rifle. The lack of palm swell gives more leeway in grabbing.

"just grabbing" isn't optimal, but when you Need to get Some hold, it's better that nothing gets in your way, especially when things get 'unconventional'.

Doogy
3 August 2010, 21:33
thanks guys, I very much appreciate the input. Upon reading your responses, and thinking about it, I would tend to agree that it may be too much for a carbine. I will however get the Ergo tactical suregrip, without the palm rest. thanks for weighing in
!