PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Reading?

Vise
2 August 2010, 19:47
I was wondering if any of you could suggest a few books on shooting. I have never been in the military or law enforcement and as you might guess I am a mediocre shot. I just finished a book called "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting" by Bryan Litz which was great. I have a solid understanding of the physics involved in ballistics. Now I need some information on how to shoot correctly. I would like more information on shooting form and how to become more accurate and consistent. I specifically want to become better with my AR-15.

Quib
3 August 2010, 03:17
Drop me an IM if you are interested. I can email you a copy of:

FM 3-22.9

RIFLE MARKSMANSHIP
M16A1, M16A2/3, M16A4,
AND M4 CARBINE

PREFACE

This manual provides guidance for planning and executing training on the 5.56-mm
M16-series rifle (M16A1/A2/A3/A4) and M4 carbine. It is a guide for commanders,
leaders, and instructors to develop training programs, plans, and lessons that meet the
objectives or intent of the United States Army rifle marksmanship program and
FM 25-100 (Training the Force).
This manual is organized to lead the trainer through the material needed to conduct
training during initial entry training (IET) and unit sustainment training. Preliminary
subjects include discussion on the weapons’ capabilities, mechanical training, and the
fundamentals and principles of rifle marksmanship. Live-fire applications are scheduled
after the soldier has demonstrated preliminary skills.

Paulo_Santos
3 August 2010, 06:52
While books are great, nothing beats actual shooting. I'd recommend taking a class or most ranges have guys that are willing to help out and teach guys how to shoot. Look for basic marksman classes or some sort of beginner classes which stress fundamentals. You can also go to YouTube and check out some videos and you can practice at home.

Optimus Prime
3 August 2010, 07:33
Green Eyes and Black Rifles (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615166547?ie=UTF8&tag=gunsan-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0615166547) is a pretty decent entry book for the tactical (mainly AR-15) world. Describes a little bit of everything, guns, gear, techniques... a pretty good place to get a foothold.

That being said, nothing beats good old one on one coaching from an experienced shooter.

Quib
3 August 2010, 10:07
I'm at the office right now, stuck behind my desk.....

When I get home this afternoon I'll get copies out to those that requested them.

Quib
3 August 2010, 14:50
Dualspringfields, Vise, willardcw4........emails are sent.

ram2850...need your email address.

tpelle
3 August 2010, 17:03
One of the best deals going, if you want to learn to shoot a rifle well, is to attend an Appleseed shoot. If you are not aware of this organization, they are a group that is trying to reinstill both the skills and traditions of being "riflemen" back into America. Their premise is that, with most of the population being urban/suburban, the skills are no longer being learned by young people.

Unfortunately, except for possibly the Marine Corps, these skills are no longer being universally taught within the military today either.

Anyway, at an Appleseed shoot, you will be taught the concepts of "inches/minutes/clicks", sight adjustment, NPOA (Natural Point Of Aim), proper shooting positions and technique, and use of a sling for support. Most of their shoots are held over a weekend, are shot at 25 yards, and are geared towards a magazine-fed semi-auto with click-adjustable aperture sights. An AR15 would work but is perhaps overkill - the ideal is a Ruger 10-22 with Tech-Sights aperture sights. Bring lots of ammo, though, as you will shoot maybe 400 rounds in two days.

The instructors are trained and are very professional. During breaks they fill in the time with stories of our history, and how our freedom was won by citizens with rifles. They concentrate on April 19, 1775 - the battles of Lexington and Concord - the opening battles of our War forIndependence. The firing line is run in a very disciplined manner as well. Cost for a two-day shoot is usually $80.00. Best training you'll ever get for $80.00.

At the shoot that I attended there was a middle-aged woman, who had never fired a rifle before that morning/ Her first sighting-in group at 25 yards looked more like a pattern from a cylinder-bore shotgun. By lunchtime she was shooting a group that you could cover with the palm of your hand.

Here's a link to their forum, where you can find out if and when any shoots are scheduled nearby.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/

By the way, I attended an Appleseed shoot, and used my 10-22. Later on I joined a gun club, and took a Highpower Rifle clinic shooting my AR15. Drawing on my Appleseed training (which is somewhat modeled after the NRA Highpower course of fire) I came in at 4th place out of about 15 shooters in the clinic. The guys that beat me were already competitive shooters in other disciplines, such as smallbore rifle and benchrest rifle. I now shoot NRA Highpower matches regularly.

Vise
3 August 2010, 18:02
Quib, thanks for sending that field manual. It looks like there is a lot of good information in there.

Optimus, I am going to pick up "Green Eyes and Black Rifles" You are the second person that has recommended that book.

I found a class here in Birmingham called "Practical Pistol and Carbine." The next class is already booked. Apparently the company, "Professional Marksmen Inc." holds these classes regularly though. Anyone ever heard of them?

Tpelle, would it be a bad idea to bring an AR-15 to an Appleseed shoot? I don't want to be "that guy" but I don't have a lot of guns. There is one coming up about an hour away from me next month. I am definitely going to sign up. Would it be worth it to pick up a Ruger 10-22 and if so would you get the target version or is the base model sufficient?

Fred_G
3 August 2010, 19:19
I am curious about the AS program as well. I think there are a few going on not very far from me. I don't have a .22, is bringing an AR OK? I have had plenty of gun safety drilled into my head, but no formal training on shooting. Very interested if the AR is acceptable.

Albert
3 August 2010, 19:34
Green Eyes and Black Rifles? i had seen it, a pretty book!

willardcw4
3 August 2010, 22:22
Thanks Quib! I also picked up Green Eyes and Black Rifles... looks like a great reference.

Quib
4 August 2010, 03:20
Fred_G......email sent.

Quib
4 August 2010, 14:27
Hatter, ram2850.....emails sent.

Dualspringfields
4 August 2010, 15:09
Quib I hadn't gotten anything from ya. No big deal. Dont worry about it.
Found an artical about zeroing. Anyone seen this and/or use it?
http://ar15zeroing.com/

Going out tomorrow to zero my irons on both weapons. If I zero them at 50 yards I should be good to go at 200 yards. Correct?

Quib
4 August 2010, 15:30
Quib I hadn't gotten anything from ya.

Sent it yesterday at 15:41 to the address you gave me. I'll send it again.

ETA: Just sent it again. Check your mail.

Fontaine
4 August 2010, 21:30
Thanks Quib! I also picked up Green Eyes and Black Rifles... looks like a great reference.

I have that book as well, and it's got a wealth of information for tactical style shooting.

Information is always great, but nothing beats a good carbine class.

Quality of instruction is pretty important, but it seems to me that all the top tier trainers teach similar principles. At one particular class with a local trainer, the techniques being taught seemed to be 30 years old, haha. Night and day difference compared to the Magpul class i attended later that year.

Fred_G
5 August 2010, 18:38
Excellent info in that Quib. Thanks!

Quib
5 August 2010, 18:41
You guys are welcome. Glad to help by passing that along......

tac40
5 August 2010, 20:26
Paul Howe's book on leadership, Kyle Lamb's book on rifle tactics, and Lt Col Dave Grossman on everything else is a good start. Follow up with Massad Ayoob with legality on shooting.
Louis Awerbuck and Clint Smith have good articles on tactics and deployment of weapons. I guess my view is tactical/practical sense with real good classes from any of these instructors.

willardcw4
5 August 2010, 21:37
I'm about 60+ pages into Green Eyes & Black Rifles... it's a pretty informative book. Most of the information, thus far, I've picked up already from forums like WE, but it is a nice reference since it has pictures illustrating different parts of fixing jams, tactical positions, etc.!