PDA

View Full Version : 9MM Choices?

sangria7
7 August 2010, 15:44
Hey Guys

Still sort of new to these forums.

Right now my little collection consists of an AR15, Mossberg500, and a Walther P22. I was thinking of getting a 9MM soon to complete the standard trio [AR15, 12 Gauge, 9mm]. I was thinking of the new Springfield XDM9 with the match grade barrel.

The Army issues us the Baretta but I am not partial to them nor Glocks in general. Any other suggestions between the $500-$650 range?

Thanks.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg28/alli72598/DSC03139.jpg

willardcw4
7 August 2010, 16:02
I love the Springfield Armory XD line. Definitely a good initial buy into the 9mm handgun world. I carry an XD9 3" and it is a really accurate gun for its size and fits well (for a sub-comp) in the hand.

Bob Reed
7 August 2010, 17:13
Hello,

There's only one 9mm pistol on the planet that I recommend, and it's The FN-Browning High Power.

Contrary to what some may say about needing parts & maintaining The BHP, I happen to work on guns quiet a bit and I specifically chose The Browning High Power as my main pistol because of it's readily available, High Quality Genuine Factory Parts & Ease of Servicing, including detail stripping & reassembly (something people should be able to do to all their weapons). Every part for the Post Internal Extractor HP's (excluding the frame & locking cam) is available by simply calling The Browning Parts Department at 800-322-4626 and believe me, Browning has one of the best parts networks in the business.

As far as maintaining The BHP, you'll need new springs along the way (like all weapons do) and it'd be good to keep a few small parts on hand (like you should for all your weapons). BHP Factory Parts basically don't require any special fitting (FN has had The HP in full production since 1935 and they literally have it's manufacturing tolerances down cold) and it's simple design lends it's self to easy servicing. BTW: My files & stones tell me the parts are right up there with the best of'em when it comes to hardness and their high level of QC is quiet noticeable as well.

Also, don't get caught up in thinking that single-action automatics require all kinds of special training & skill, because they Don't.
Think about it, your AR, FAL, AK, Semi-Auto Shotgun, Semi-Auto Huntin' Rifle, Ect. are basically single-action autos as well. You chamber a round & apply the safety, wanna fire, thumb the safety off and fire! Wanna be safe, keep your finger off the trigger untill your ready to fire.

The BHP is also very reliable, actually BHP's for the most part are so reliable that the smaller ejection port on the older Classic models becomes a moot point. In fact, The BHP is one of the few pistols I'd feel confident in carring right outta the box (if forced to w/out first being able to test fire for proper functioning). Not that I'd want to be forced to do such a thing, just that it's one of the few pistols that I'd feel safe doing that with "if forced to".

Here's a coupla links for you to follow regarding Browning & Saive's Magnificent Pistol.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=007B

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=269&backPID=263&productID=74&pid_product=295&pidList=263&categorySelector=5&detail=&cHash=b354170a5d

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/HiPowerComments.html

And here's a Browning High Power driven forum that has a wealth of info. Come over and read up on what other HP users have to say.
http://handgunsandammo.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Aragorn
7 August 2010, 20:22
The S&W M&P would also be another good choice. Excellent ergonomics, lightweight yet still has a reinforced frame, hi capacity (17 + 1), good sights and excellent pointability. Personally I prefer them over any other polymer pistol. Mine is a Julie Golob edition. I love it. Trigger is better than standard, as are the sights.

sangria7
8 August 2010, 07:25
Hello,

There's only one 9mm pistol on the planet that I recommend, and it's The FN-Browning High Power.

Contrary to what some may say about needing parts & maintaining The BHP, I happen to work on guns quiet a bit and I specifically chose The Browning High Power as my main pistol because of it's readily available, High Quality Genuine Factory Parts & Ease of Servicing, including detail stripping & reassembly (something people should be able to do to all their weapons). Every part for the Post Internal Extractor HP's (excluding the frame & locking cam) is available by simply calling The Browning Parts Department at 800-322-4626 and believe me, Browning has one of the best parts networks in the business.

As far as maintaining The BHP, you'll need new springs along the way (like all weapons do) and it'd be good to keep a few small parts on hand (like you should for all your weapons). BHP Factory Parts basically don't require any special fitting (FN has had The HP in full production since 1935 and they literally have it's manufacturing tolerances down cold) and it's simple design lends it's self to easy servicing. BTW: My files & stones tell me the parts are right up there with the best of'em when it comes to hardness and their high level of QC is quiet noticeable as well.

Also, don't get caught up in thinking that single-action automatics require all kinds of special training & skill, because they Don't.
Think about it, your AR, FAL, AK, Semi-Auto Shotgun, Semi-Auto Huntin' Rifle, Ect. are basically single-action autos as well. You chamber a round & apply the safety, wanna fire, thumb the safety off and fire! Wanna be safe, keep your finger off the trigger untill your ready to fire.

The BHP is also very reliable, actually BHP's for the most part are so reliable that the smaller ejection port on the older Classic models becomes a moot point. In fact, The BHP is one of the few pistols I'd feel confident in carring right outta the box (if forced to w/out first being able to test fire for proper functioning). Not that I'd want to be forced to do such a thing, just that it's one of the few pistols that I'd feel safe doing that with "if forced to".

Here's a coupla links for you to follow regarding Browning & Saive's Magnificent Pistol.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=007B

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=269&backPID=263&productID=74&pid_product=295&pidList=263&categorySelector=5&detail=&cHash=b354170a5d

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/HiPowerComments.html

And here's a Browning High Power driven forum that has a wealth of info. Come over and read up on what other HP users have to say.
http://handgunsandammo.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Great recommendation. I used to go out shooting with my father back in the day with his Hi-Powered and yes it worked well. The price is way above my range though :(

Quib
8 August 2010, 07:41
- S&W MP
- SA XD9
- Police Trade-In SIG 226 0r 225 (225 limited to 7+1 rds.)

Creeky73
8 August 2010, 07:50
FN has some nice pistols too, and I believe they just released a new 9mm.

Glock 17 is my personal choice.

tac40
8 August 2010, 08:15
For the $500-$650.00 range, the market is wide open for new and used. If you're a shooter who is use to the traditional DA/SA feel of the trigger such as Beretta, Sig, S&W and Ruger semi-auto stay with that. If you're the 1911 type guy, the BHP is a good choice. The current plastic guns such as Glock, HK and Springfield offer good choices. I've shot most if not all and stuck with pistols that I use for work, consistent trigger pulll and manual of use-I know where every part is and it's function. Go down to your local range, rent or borrow and shoot until you find the one you like. Everyone has a personal favorite. For a basic 9mm with safety levers, the S&W 5906 or Beretta 92FS is a good pick, both are solid picks and served LEO and military well. Good luck.

Bob Reed
8 August 2010, 10:30
Hello Sangria7, you should be able to find a nice used HP in your price range.

m24shooter
8 August 2010, 15:07
The XD is a good pistol, as is the M&P line. I've been considering getting one or either for a while if I get another 9mm.
Among the non-polymers, the BHP is a great pistol.

willardcw4
8 August 2010, 15:24
If you plan on carrying, I'd definitely stick with a polymer frame. If not, then whatever floats your boat :) My preference for non-polymer guns are Sig Sauer pistols, but they tend to be a bit on the more expensive side.

I spent a lot of time renting guns at the local gun range trying them out. If you can, it may be worthwhile to spend some time shooting a few guns you are considering to find out what your comfortable with :)

sangria7
8 August 2010, 15:56
Yea, I am leaning towards polymer pistols as they are easier on the conceal carry. Unfortunately, the local gun range does not rent any pistols :(.

willardcw4
8 August 2010, 16:37
To be honest, any of the suggestions made by previous posters would all serve as a good 9mm pistol. Whatever you get you will practice with and become proficient shooting with, so it's somewhat a matter of preference for the initial buy. Weight, looks, mag capacity, conceal carry ability, night sights, whether you want used or new, etc. are most likely going to guide your final purchase. Brands like M&P, Sig, SA, HK, etc. will all serve you well ;) Any tac accessories can fit on just about any of these pistols (except for the HK USP).

sangria7
8 August 2010, 19:24
Anyone have experience with the Taurus 24/7 line?

Hatter
9 August 2010, 05:53
I can't comment on the Taurus pistols I've never handled any of them. I currently own the SA Loaded Combat 1911, XD45 and XDM9. I am a HUGE fan of the new XDM pistols. They've managed to make the point and shoot ergonomics of the XD series and make them more comfortable and customizable with the back straps. I've previously owned the Beretta 96FS (.40 cal big brother to the 9 mm 92) and was very pleased with it. I sold this gun for cash to work on my AR platforms. I have also owned the Beretta PX4 9 mm was extremely unimpressed. This gun felt sloppy and cheap and was somewhat partial to jamming when bullets would pull of the mag and "cock" trying to enter the action. This happened with several manufacturers' ammo. Once this happens you just put the pistol away until you can sell it because it wont be reliable when you need it to be.

It sounds like you've gotten good advice with the SA XDM line and the M&P which have left me with positive feelings.

lmtrocks
12 August 2010, 11:29
I also CCW the XD9 svc. I've had appx 14000 rounds through mine since Jan 2007. They are easy to work on as well if you want to clean out the striker channel or something. It's a little tricky when reinstalling the cover on the back of the slide but other than that mine's been accidentally dropped a couple times and had zero ND/ADs, and it runs extremely smooth. Get a Galco Matrix M7X holster and an Aker leather reinforced belt for carry. The belt won't sag and if you need to pull the holster off easily you unsnap 2 buttons and take the holster off---Post office, school, hospital....

Syntax360
12 August 2010, 13:27
My biggest gripe with the Taurus 24/7 is breakdown - it was a pain to pull apart and put back together. Customer service is supposed to be a nightmare, but I've never had any first-hand experience with them.

In that price range you could also look at the other Austrian plastic fantastic - the Steyr M9A1. Steyr Arms has exceptionally good customer service, the gun is ergonomic as all get-out, the trigger is pretty great, and my personal experience has been that they run like tops (I have two, and have "sold" no less than 10 to local friends - people love them once they give them a try). Downsides are difficulty in procuring spare parts (Steyr Arms will hook you up usually, but their supply chain leaves a little to be desired), relatively little aftermarket, and older guns had magazine spring and extractor issues (free upgrade from Steyr, or new round of pistols being imported this month will have this part stock).

In that same vein, a new polymer gun is supposed to be released pretty soon by Caracal out of the UAE - it might be checking out once it hits our shores (supposedly in the next 2 months). If you're not interested in an Arab-produced pistol, or you don't want to be a guinea pig, this obviously isn't for you.

The M&P9 is obviously a popular choice, and probably presents the best all-around choice considering its price point, popularity (aftermarket), and factory support.

sangria7
12 August 2010, 17:36
Hmm Great Advice.

I think I will be looking at the XDM9 and M&P9...both great price points and all around pistols.

Mr.Goodtimes
16 August 2010, 20:20
Get an M&P or a Glock 19, or a West German sig in good shape. Also, my Italian made Beretta 92FS was an extremely reliable and accurate pistol. Its down sides were that the safety was in a less than ideal spot, it was heavy, and fat. It's huge for a 9mm.

kev5000
2 November 2012, 12:50
CZ 75 spo1 shadow,outstand gun better than most every gun I've ever shot in 30 years

Pork Chop
2 November 2012, 14:55
plz don't think that a brand new beretta 92fs is anything like the wore out rigs the miltary is using. i have the 92fs and it's a great pistol. accurate, easy maintenance and it eats everything you feed it.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/dani1083_2007/f2a93355.jpg

browcs
2 November 2012, 20:50
I love my Berettas. Torn between my 92FC, 92FC Type M, Vertec 92G, and 8000F Cougar L .

Jack Kardic
3 November 2012, 01:14
I carry an XD .45 and I love it. Only one malfunction in about 9k rounds, and that was a stovepipe with reloaded ammo, no malfunctions with factory. I have pretty meaty hands, just the kind that Glocks don't like, but despite the similarities I've never been bitten by my XD. I second or third or whatever we're on now with M&P's. I also have a Ruger P89 that's a pretty darn solid hunk of steel but very comfortable in the hand.

Hmac
3 November 2012, 11:12
I have/had Berettas, Sigs. In 9mm I have an M&P 9L and a Glock 19. Recently bought a Walther PPQ and THAT is a really excellent firearm. Those others are now in the back of the closet, especially the Glock (BTF issue, seemingly unsolvable).

http://SSEquine.net/walther ppq.jpg

Ohl_san
29 December 2012, 16:30
S&W M&P would be my first choice.
Caracal F 9MM - seems like a nice pistol but I have never shot one or seen one in real life, So I can not say for sure.