PDA

View Full Version : KNS Precison pins

8'Duece
16 August 2010, 20:25
Can't begin to tell you how many threads I've seen across the internet talking about a hammer pin or trigger pin "walking out" and the observer posts his dissatisfaction with the rifle. This usually invovles alot of "J-pin" discussions and other such methods of keeping your pins from walking out of the reciever.

I recently saw another thread on another board regarding this issue.

I've come to the conclusion that any AR15 rifle purchased needs to have the KNS Precision Non-rotating pin sets installed before you actually shoot the weapon. IMHO. (kind of a just get it done now thing)

I've installed them in all of my AR's and have never had to post a thread asking "Why my hammer pin is waking out" or "Trigger pin is slightly sticking out" of my AR15.

Easy install, captive pins and only about $30 @ Bravo Company USA. Or just order them from KNS for $39 + shipping.

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/c/GunParts.html

Paulo_Santos
17 August 2010, 02:34
Some people swear by them, some people think they are a waste of money. I never had a pin walk out so I haven't used them yet.

sangria7
17 August 2010, 03:12
Same here, I never had a pin walked out either in the Army or civilian shooting.

Quib
17 August 2010, 03:23
With "in-spec" and correctly installed parts, I believe "pin walking" shouldn't be an issue.

I address my take on "walking pins" in my FAQ Series:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1613-FAQ-s-BASIC-INSPECTIONS-AND-PROCEDURES

8'Duece
17 August 2010, 11:54
With "in-spec" and correctly installed parts, I believe "pin walking" shouldn't be an issue.

I address my take on "walking pins" in my FAQ Series:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1613-FAQ-s-BASIC-INSPECTIONS-AND-PROCEDURES

The FAQ's are very nicely done and I did look at them before posting. Very informative.

I tend to agree, I've never seen a pin walk out enough to have a catastrophic event, but then again I've never purchased a rfile that was not on the top of the quality list rating.

Last pair I installed was done with the FDE colored outside holding bars with all the FDE furniture. 5 minute install and it give a nice accent of the FDE on the lower reciever. Hey, it's only $40 [:D]

It's just a comfort thing for me to see them present on my rifles.

Optimus Prime
17 August 2010, 12:30
I've never seen or had any issues with it, but I did put a set of the dogbone style ones on my last build simply because I thought they looked cool. And they do.

Paulo_Santos
17 August 2010, 13:39
The FAQ's are very nicely done and I did look at them before posting. Very informative.

I tend to agree, I've never seen a pin walk out enough to have a catastrophic event, but then again I've never purchased a rfile that was not on the top of the quality list rating.

Last pair I installed was done with the FDE colored outside holding bars with all the FDE furniture. 5 minute install and it give a nice accent of the FDE on the lower reciever. Hey, it's only $40 [:D]

It's just a comfort thing for me to see them present on my rifles.

And there is nothing wrong with that. If you are comfortable with them, then go for it. The only time I would tell someone not to put something on their rifle is if it somehow made their rifle worse than it was.

8'Duece
17 August 2010, 16:34
I've never seen or had any issues with it, but I did put a set of the dogbone style ones on my last build simply because I thought they looked cool. And they do.

I had an extra set in FDE laying in the parts box that I installed on a buddy's rifle that he Ceracoted FDE/CAMO. I also installed an FDE Ergo grip on it and a friend sent us an M5 Knights rail set that I installed for him. Also had an FDE EMOD stock that I gave him for it. (yes, it was laying around with nowhere to go)

You would have thought the guy wanted to marry me. :o

Optimus Prime
17 August 2010, 21:08
Hook a guy up like that and I could see it.

Eric
17 August 2010, 21:27
I've never seen a need for them, but if they work for you, that's great. A potential downside is that a specific tool is required to disassemble.

K_SNIPER
17 August 2010, 23:53
I have them installed on my lowers. I'm in Cali and since my lowers are pre-ban here, registered with the DOJ as "assault weapons", they mise well be made out of gold. I put them in as a precaution since I do shoot a lot of ammo.

In my own experience...every trigger pin I have ever seen walk out has been due to an improper hammer spring/TG install or a badly assembled lower where some knucklehead hammered the trigger group pins in either due to inexperience or just plain carelessness. My lowers all have KAC 2-stage triggers and the KNS pins work fine with them. They did fit tighter on the install as opposed to the stock pins.

If you look at vendors like PWS with their high end piston builds, they can clearly be seen installed on the full auto lowers. Look at their videos, they're awesome. Also...people like to use them on the 9mm builds since that set-up can be quite hard on the trigger group pins and tend to egg-hole the receiver.

But...like all things...YMMV...:)

8'Duece
18 August 2010, 09:34
I've never seen a need for them, but if they work for you, that's great. A potential downside is that a specific tool is required to disassemble.

Just some really small hex wrenches. Purchased at any Lowes in your neighborhood.

I've kept the ones that came with my sets, so no big deal.

Eric
18 August 2010, 15:26
Just some really small hex wrenches. Purchased at any Lowes in your neighborhood.

I've kept the ones that came with my sets, so no big deal.
All good if you have the tool with you, but if you're out in the field or other location without support gear and need to pop out the FCG for whatever reason, not so easy. Not a common scenario, but something to keep in mind. A standard FCG can be broken down with improvised tools.

Example: You're taking a carbine class, blow a primer that gets lodged in the FCG requiring disassembly and you don't have the appropriate size hex wrench. Hopefully someone else does and/or you have a backup carbine to jump on.

TehLlama
18 August 2010, 18:37
I'm happy running them on my one fancy lower that's running a Timney trigger pack anyway. They make great sense for an MG lower, but it's a solution for what is usually a parts quality problem.

8'Duece
18 August 2010, 18:45
All good if you have the tool with you, but if you're out in the field or other location without support gear and need to pop out the FCG for whatever reason, not so easy. Not a common scenario, but something to keep in mind. A standard FCG can be broken down with improvised tools.

Example: You're taking a carbine class, blow a primer that gets lodged in the FCG requiring disassembly and you don't have the appropriate size hex wrench. Hopefully someone else does and/or you have a backup carbine to jump on.

I get it, your not fond of them.

You make a good point, but suppose I kept those little hex wrenches in their little plastic baggy inside my MOE grip, Ergo grip, Stark grip, etc.

I'm glad you brought it up though, because now I will keep them with me during field time and carbine classes.

Good points.