PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint 2 vs. 4 MOA Dot

Canonshooter
26 August 2010, 10:17
For a 14.5 inch carbine intended for distances from "spitting distance" out to 200 yards, do you prefer the 2 MOA or 4 MOA dot? I have both a Comp3 2 MOA and a ML2 4 MOA - looking for input on which would be your preferrence.

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/ar-1c.jpg

Paulo_Santos
26 August 2010, 10:48
IMHO, it doesn't really matter especially with a 100 yard zero, but if given a choice, I'd take the 2MOA.

With a 100 yard zero, at 200 yards, the 4MOA dot will cover up 8", but you will have a 2.5" drop, so you are not actually covering up all 8" of the target. Now if you use a 50 yards zero, at 200 yards, the dot will cover up 8" of your target. With a 2MOA dot, you will only be covering up 4" at 200 yards, so it is even less.

willardcw4
26 August 2010, 21:38
I would take the 2 MOA option vs 4 MOA for every application. If you are using a nice optic (i.e. Aimpoint), then turning up the brightness on the 2 MOA optic will be more than sufficient for CQB. It really makes it easier to shoot further since less of the target is covered by the dot when looking at 4 vs 2 MOA. You should be able to shoot significantly smaller groups with a 2 MOA dot if you have it zeroed sub-100 meters.

+1 to paulosantos

Canonshooter
27 August 2010, 03:52
Thanks for the feedback!

One of the problems I have at 56 years of age is that my eyesight isn't what it used to be. In fact, it was never good to start with (been near-sighted since I was 8 years old). The dot of an Aimpoint looks like a smear to me if I turn it up too bright, perhaps more so than to those with good eyes. However, I do find that if I flip the BUIS to the small aperture and look through the Aimpoint that way, the dot appears much better defined. So for long distance (say beyond 100 yards) that is how I will be using the iron sight/Aimpoint combo. I have not mounted the 4 MOA on the rifle yet to see how the dot looks through the small aperature, but may do that before I sight-in the rifle this weekend.

BTW, my plan is for a 50 yard zero to give me a +/- 2 inches POI out to 200 yards.

Eric
27 August 2010, 04:53
do you prefer the 2 MOA or 4 MOA dot? I have both a Comp3 2 MOA and a ML2 4 MOA
Oddly enough, I have the same optics. It's actually a minimal difference and is probably only observable by most when both optics are available to viewed side by side. Assuming everything else is equal, I gravitate toward the smaller 2 MOA dot, because my brain thinks it will be more accurate, but in reality I find no to little difference.

BTW, very nice photo.

Paulo_Santos
27 August 2010, 05:08
Thanks for the feedback!

One of the problems I have at 56 years of age is that my eyesight isn't what it used to be. In fact, it was never good to start with (been near-sighted since I was 8 years old). The dot of an Aimpoint looks like a smear to me if I turn it up too bright, perhaps more so than to those with good eyes. However, I do find that if I flip the BUIS to the small aperture and look through the Aimpoint that way, the dot appears much better defined. So for long distance (say beyond 100 yards) that is how I will be using the iron sight/Aimpoint combo. I have not mounted the 4 MOA on the rifle yet to see how the dot looks through the small aperature, but may do that before I sight-in the rifle this weekend.

BTW, my plan is for a 50 yard zero to give me a +/- 2 inches POI out to 200 yards.

Try not to focus on the dot. Look through the reticle to the target and you shouldn't even notice it after a while. Takes a while to get used to it. Also try turning the brightness down and see if it helps.

Quib
27 August 2010, 05:23
I'm currently on my 3rd ML2. All have been 4MOA. I find the 4MOA accurate enough that with my last AP purchase, I didn't even consider going with the 2MOA dot.

The pics below are of a piece of 1/2" rebar, shot from the prone supported position three times consecutively, from 50m away. The shot was a bet between my son and myself as to whether or not I could hit the rebar at that distance.

I was surprised when I lined up the target through the centerline of the 4MOA dot, squeezed the trigger, and the rebar vibrated from the hit. The second shot was a repeat of the first. I thought I was pressing my luck at this point. When I squeezed off the third shot, it was the shot that tipped the rebar to one side.

I thought this was a fair representation of exactly how accurate a 4MOA AP can actually be.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4932022714_1d5b3be660_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4932022736_6f98049e13_b.jpg

willardcw4
27 August 2010, 12:06
Nice shooting Quib :)

rob_s
27 August 2010, 12:21
I shot with the 4 for years, and still use the ~4 in the Aimpoint Micros, but on large Aimpoints the C3 model is my favorite and it can be had in a 2 MOA, which I also prefer.

I have made hits at 200 yards on a 6" plate using a 4 MOA dot, XM193, and an 11.5" pencil barrel (something the internet says can't happen) repeatedly. I still prefer the 2 MOA dot now that I've used it. I see no downside to it and find a few advantages, largely during the zero process and when eyeglass prescriptions start to get a little old.

Quib
27 August 2010, 12:41
Nice shooting Quib :)

Thank you Sir!

Canonshooter
27 August 2010, 13:11
I mounted up the ML2 (which was also NIB compared to my older Comp3) and I think I'll be keeping it on the AR for now. The Comp3 will go back on my Krebs Custom AK-103k. Thanks to all for you input!

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/ak103k-5.jpg