PDA

View Full Version : HK magazines?

Creeky73
28 August 2010, 05:06
I am looking for some good metal magazines to compliment my stash of pmags, preferably steel instead of aluminum. I know steel mags will weigh more, but I recently got to handle a friend's mini 14 all-steel mags and they just felt like some good, quality magazines. I am hoping to find something similar for AR's. I remember reading somewhere that HK mags are considered some of the better, if not best, metal mags on the market. Are they all steel, and are they worth the extra cost? Also, can they benefit from a magpul upgrade kit or would that be pointless?

any help is appreciated :)

AR-10
28 August 2010, 09:16
I've had VERY good luck with the C-Products 30-round stainless steel magazines and they cost a fraction of the H&K mags.

I do own some PMAG's and they are great, but I know what you mean about the feel of a good steel mag.

All of my .308 mags came from C-Products and I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of their .223 magazines - I'm sure H&K mags do what they are supposed to do but I can't fathom paying $50-$60 for a single magazine.

TehLlama
28 August 2010, 13:14
The HRM Mags we had in afghanistan were crap. Not likely they got treated the greatest, but I think you'd be better served with any budget metal magazine and a full MagPul or CMMG internals kit for each. They were the best option... until PMags arrived.
There are better options, I'd go with the others. Sometime the Brownells combo packs are nearly impossible to beat.

5pins
28 August 2010, 20:45
Just get the Korean version for five bucks.

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=32_36_111&products_id=1697

Creeky73
29 August 2010, 08:38
The price on the C-Products mag is very tempting. It seems amazing though that a quality steel mag can be offered at a 1/4 of the price of the cheapest I have found the HK mag ($39.99 at Botach) but I might have to try one. It isn't much of a risk at less than $12 at Rainier. Thanks for the info!

what about the Cammenga Easymag? They are a bit pricey as well, but the demo video was fairly impressive. Are these reliable mags?

AR-10
29 August 2010, 12:57
A guy had some of those Easymags at the last local gun show I went to, they look nice but I don't think I'd use one for anything more than range shooting.

I'm holding out for Troy's new BattleMag, if you look at the pics in Stickman's article you can see that the floorplate is flush with the body - I like that.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/01/20/troy-industries-new-polymer-magazine/

I can't wait to get my hands on some of these.

TehLlama
29 August 2010, 20:31
A MagLuLa and PMags have answered pretty much any question I had for mags. The TROY mags look good, as do the TD ARC mags - the TD and MagPul mags were the only aftermarket ones I saw in use by the end of the deployment.
I'm trying not to sound too biased against the HRM's, but I think it's somewhat telling that a good deal of H&K's recent M27/416 literature has EMags in the shots.

Eric
30 August 2010, 20:54
Another potential downside to the HK mags is that they use a proprietary spring which is not available as a replacement part. Once the spring goes, the mag is done.

Eric
30 August 2010, 21:11
what about the Cammenga Easymag?
I wasn't that impressed with the ones I tried. They had sharp edges, were not that much faster to load for me and caused feed issues in one otherwise reliable carbine.

Bob Reed
31 August 2010, 02:32
Hello,

With Genuine Factory Colt 20 & 30 Rnd. mags readily available, I can't imagine using anything else.
http://www.specializedarmament.com/catalog/Colt_AR_15_Parts-4-0.html

MOUNT-N-SLOT
1 September 2010, 19:39
I shoot / train using the latest version of the P-MAGS w/ window in 30rd on all my rifles except my SCAR 16s, which I run the E-MAGS in 30 rd.

When we demo a new IWC Component, we use HK Mags. Because they always run, never ever had a mis-fire. I also use these as my primary mag for SHTF, along with a back-up 100rd Beta.

tac40
3 September 2010, 17:01
I ran the HK mags for a bit, compared with the Magpul mags, mil-spec alumin mags, and Tangodown, the HK mags did it's job, the HK didn't always fit the mag pouches and were a bit heavier-steel. For the price of 1 HK mag, get 2 Magpul or Tangodown mags.