PDA

View Full Version : My latest SPR

Engineer5
28 August 2010, 09:19
Finally finished my latest SPR build this morning. Hopefully I can get here out next week. Here's the spec's..........

SunDevil billet lower
CMT parts kit
Timney trigger
A2 Stock (thinking about a UBR)
Rainier Arms Ultra Match Billet Upper Receiver
ABS Inc. Carbon Fiber wrapped barrel 18" (Mike Rock blank)
Young N/M BC with Colt chrome bolt
Rainier Arms brake
Spikes 12.8 BAR rail
Harris Bi-pod w/LaRue mount (backwards in pic)
LaRue SP-104 scope mount
Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical 6x24x50

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/Engineer23/Lite%20SPR/043.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/Engineer23/Lite%20SPR/048.jpg

Stickman
28 August 2010, 09:45
How are you liking that rail?

Engineer5
28 August 2010, 09:57
How are you liking that rail?

At first I didn't know what to think. I wasn't to sure about using the shims but it mounted up just fine. I used all 3 shims and a strap wrench to get the last little bit of turn to line everything up. Seems very solid. I really like the open design of the rail as it helps show off the barrel. The smooth edges are great as there is no need to use covers.

BamaMike
1 September 2010, 04:44
Very nice setup you have there. I like the rail and am considering one myself for my next build (an 18" also) and really have not looked at the composite end of barrels. Was wondering what the advantage is (suppose cooling) and how they stack up to the SS variety like a Lothar (or other high end barrel). The scope looks good too and have been hearing that the Bushnell's are underrated for the price point. Would love to hear how it shoots and hope it does half as well there as it looks! Again, very nice!

HS2
3 September 2010, 07:34
Very nice build! I'm curious about the barrel, also. Please post a range report when you get a chance.

Engineer5
3 September 2010, 11:12
Well I hope to get it out this holiday weekend. If I can get out I'll post a range report.

As far as the benefits of the barrel........
1. I didn't weigh it but I want to say it's about a pound lighter than an all steel barrel.
2. ABS barrels dissipate heat at a much faster rate than other carbon fiber wrapped barrels and of course all steel barrels. They have a patent on the way they wrap the barrel with the carbon fiber and the pitch they use to "glue" it all together to accomplish the heat dissipation.

Do I really have any practical use for a light weight, heat dissipating barrel......not really. Just wanted something a little different.

I did lots of reading about various scopes and couldn't find anything bad about the Bushnell so I went with it. Plus I found mine used. It had been mounted but never shot. Saved a bunch of money that way. I'd really like to have a high end optic someday but just couldn't pull it off now.

Aragorn
4 September 2010, 00:04
How does that carbon fiber strike you in terms of durability? Think a solid whack would damage it or would it hold up? Just curious because at one point I had debated getting one.

Engineer5
4 September 2010, 06:57
How does that carbon fiber strike you in terms of durability? Think a solid whack would damage it or would it hold up? Just curious because at one point I had debated getting one.

Durability wasn't really a concern for me as this rifle will only be on a bench at the range or on a bench out shooting P-Dogs. Next time I talk to the guys at ABS I'll ask about durability issues.

Aragorn
4 September 2010, 10:44
Understood. Looks amazing btw.

tac40
5 September 2010, 10:45
Sweet, how do you like the Mike Rock bbl?