PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about these compact .45 autos

AR-10
31 August 2010, 09:25
Alright WEVO, I'm in the market for a smaller .45 with a light rail.

I've narrowed it down to these four:

H&K USP45C
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1714/uspc.jpg

SIG P220C
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/8323/p220c.jpg

S&W M&P
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6827/mpcd.jpg

XD 5" Compact
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2251/xdc5.jpg

If you've owned or shot any of these, I'd like to hear your opinions please.

What I'm looking for here is a .45 that is smaller than a 5" 1911, and lighter - I'm not interested in a Commander frame either.
I also don't care for the Glock, so that eliminates both of those.

Trigger type is not a huge deciding factor for me, I've shot SA, DA/SA and DA-only and I don't really have trouble with any of them.

I just want a smaller .45 that feels good in my hand, and has the ability to hold an X300 when I take a class with it.

Optimus Prime
31 August 2010, 10:36
I'm personally leaning towards the M&P45c when I have the funds. I've only held the M&P9, but it felt as perfect as I've ever felt for a plastic pistol. (I'm a 1911 shooter FWIW)

One of my buddies has an H&K USP9, and I can't stand the checkering on the front strap, it's huge and more like spikes.

Paulo_Santos
31 August 2010, 11:38
The M&P .45 is our duty weapon and I highly recommend it. Reliable, accurate, adaptable to any shooter with the interchangeable grips.

AR-10
31 August 2010, 12:22
The M&P is my #1 choice, I held one and it felt great in my hand.

I also held the USPc but it didn't feel much smaller than the full-size USP and I know exactly what you mean about the checkering.

I haven't held a P220C but I've owned a P220 and I believe they are the same size at the grip so it should feel the same - but, I've heard Sig Sauer's quality isn't what it was ten years ago.

As for the XD, I haven't held one of those yet either but I can tell you right now if the trigger feels anything like a factory Glock I won't like it.

HERRON223
31 August 2010, 12:41
+ 1
The M&P .45 is our duty weapon and I highly recommend it. Reliable, accurate, adaptable to any shooter with the interchangeable grips.

Wondering Beard
1 September 2010, 10:08
I just want a smaller .45 that feels good in my hand, and has the ability to hold an X300 when I take a class with it.

Smaller in which way?

Smaller frame for better concealed carry?
Smaller length?
Thinner in the grip?

It's always a compromise, what you gain in one area is easily lost in another.

For example, the S&W M&P 45C is the smallest in all ways (especially grip as far as I'm concerned) but it most likely is the one with the most muzzle flip (individual hand shape and size can make a difference). The H&K USP45C has, I think, the shortest barrel and the velocity loss may be something that you don't like.

The S&W M&P 45 with a 4 inch barrel but a full size grip is a compromise that a lot of people seem to like but it if a smaller grip is what really drives you, that model won't work for you.

A bit more precision about what you are looking for would help guide you to what you really want.

Until then, like others above, I would tend to go with the M&P simply because I like its trigger better than the others you presented.

m249saw
1 September 2010, 11:39
Ive had 2 HK USP 45 compacts. Both were very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. As a carry gun it was just too big, magazines were hard to find for a while and just the cost of .45 during the ammo shortage made me sell my last one.

Currently Im thinking about a Glock 30, mostly because all my pistols are Glock, Im a Glock Armorer (who isnt, lol) and they give a hell of a deal to me as a Firefighter/Paramedic (I get LEO pricing).

Paulo_Santos
1 September 2010, 11:45
Currently Im thinking about a Glock 30, mostly because all my pistols are Glock, Im a Glock Armorer (who isnt, lol) and they give a hell of a deal to me as a Firefighter/Paramedic (I get LEO pricing).

Careful with shooting reloads in the Glock. My co-worker just found out the hard way. [BD][BD]
He bought an aftermarket barrel so he could shoot reloads.

Optimus Prime
1 September 2010, 12:32
...For example, the S&W M&P 45C is the smallest in all ways (especially grip as far as I'm concerned) but it most likely is the one with the most muzzle flip...

I don't know, the M&P's have the lowest bore over grip hight, which should do wonders to cut down on flip.

Paulo_Santos
1 September 2010, 13:02
I don't know, the M&P's have the lowest bore over grip hight, which should do wonders to cut down on flip.

Muzzle flip is minimal with the M&P's. My only gripe with them is the 10 round mag capacity with the fullsize .45's. It should at least be 12 rounds.

m249saw
1 September 2010, 13:15
Careful with shooting reloads in the Glock. My co-worker just found out the hard way. [BD][BD]
He bought an aftermarket barrel so he could shoot reloads.

I only shoot factory. Thanks for the heads up though.

Wondering Beard
1 September 2010, 13:21

It depends on one's hand and grip.

For me, the grip tang of the M&P is a little too high from the web of my hand (which doesn't happen with the Glocks, again for me) and enhances muzzle flip; not sufficiently to make it a problem but enough to notice the difference. That's why when shooting an M&P, I prefer the ones with the thumb safety as riding the safety enables me to make my hand go higher.

Someone with different hands could have a totally different experience. In general, however, a shorter barrel tends to make for more muzzle flip.

AR-10
1 September 2010, 17:10
When I say smaller I mean compact when compared to a 5" 1911 which is what I've been shooting for a while now.

Think "concealable" but that's not it's primary purpose - I wouldn't even attempt to conceal a full-size 1911 with a light rail forged into the frame, a beavertail and an 8-rounder sticking out of the magwell.

It's just too much gun to try and hide when you're wearing minimal clothing.

Optimus just mentioned one of the main reasons why I like the M&P, the slide seems to sit lower in your hand.

I need to find a place that has one with a thumb safety and one without so I can feel them both.

AR-10
1 September 2010, 17:21
I'd also like to know what you guys carry in these as far as ammo goes - do they like Winchester 230gr hollowpoints?

Specifically, RA45T and PDX1 which is all I have.

Paulo_Santos
1 September 2010, 19:05
We use the Winchester RA45T also. And the Einchester .230 GR ball ammo for practice.

Wondering Beard
3 September 2010, 09:00
I'd also like to know what you guys carry in these as far as ammo goes - do they like Winchester 230gr hollowpoints?

Specifically, RA45T and PDX1 which is all I have.

I haven't carried a compact 45 in quite some years but when I did, I used regular pressure 230 gr JHPs.

The M&P can generally feed on pretty much anything but sometimes an individual gun can be finicky with one particular load and fine with everything else. Run a box of your preferred ammo through it before you rely on them.

When I say smaller I mean compact when compared to a 5" 1911 which is what I've been shooting for a while now.

Think "concealable" but that's not it's primary purpose - I wouldn't even attempt to conceal a full-size 1911 with a light rail forged into the frame, a beavertail and an 8-rounder sticking out of the magwell.

It's just too much gun to try and hide when you're wearing minimal clothing.

You'd be surprised at what you can conceal with a little thought. I've actually carried a full size 1911 (no rail) for a few years even during the very hot summer months without much difficulty.

Still, body size and type can make some guns just extra difficult to conceal.

On the other guns: the P220c may be shorter but with the grip being the same, it's not really any smaller than the full size one (which is still a rather large overall gun). The XD has a grip which feels very squarish in my hands, I only liked it in its long barrel configuration which had better balance as far as I was concerned. The grip on the USP Compact is comfortable but not terribly short, especially with that pinky rest on the magazine.

It's not the sorter barrel that helps in concealment but the shorter grip (unless you use only OWB holsters and even then it is mostly the grip that "prints") but that creates its own problems as a shorter grip can (depending on one's hands) be tougher to acquire at speed and may make the gun tougher to control. I always prefer trying one out at the range to learn a bit about the gun's idiosyncracies before buying.

As I said, it's always a compromise.

Try out the M&P in its varoius configurations and I get the feeling you will find one that will work for you.

federalist22
3 September 2010, 13:34
Take a look at the Kimber Pro Carry II if you want something in .45 - http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/compactprocarry/

A friend of mine carries the Kimber Pro Carry II in .45 and loves it--easy to conceal, even in summer.

I carry the SA EMP40 in an IWB Raven Concealment setup.