PDA

View Full Version : Vice block for Rainier Billet upper

m249saw
7 September 2010, 11:57
So I got my Rainier Upper swapped out (Thanks RA!!) and noticed it doesn't fit my Brownells Upper Receiver vice block, Im guessing the little extra billet material.

Anywho, what would be the one to use? I was thinking the DPMS panther claw that secures it via the pivot pins should work. Can this type of block secure it enough where it can be torqued on?

Thanks
Kyle

The-S
7 September 2010, 14:27
I used cardboard (3 layers) in my vice.

Quib
7 September 2010, 14:52
I would suggest using the correct tool for the job. Here are some examples I've collected as to why.....

I just had to buy a new upper because I used the blocks of wood to remove a barrel and cracked the receiver. Buy the right tools! There cheap compare to replacing parts.

Posted :: Yesterday 8:17:20 PM MDT

I am trying to remove the barrel from my Bushy so I can install my nifty new DD rail. Got the FSB and SureFire muzzle brake off okay. Using the DPMS armorers tool, all I have accomplished so far is to destroy the receiver itself. No, I wasn't using the Claw. Yes I have one on order along with my new stripped receiver.

I had the flattop upper clamped firmly sideways in a vice w/Delrin jaws. Put some muscle on it, heard a pop and thought great, it broke loose. It broke alright. Cracked the receiver right below the ejection port. So I soaked it it penetrating oil overnight while I mourned my lost receiver and berated myself for my cheapness for not buying the proper tools to start.

Today, I clamped the receiver in the vice again. Already broken, can't hurt it now right? I even took the padded jaws out so the steel could bite into the aluminum. Put the arm on it again. Popped the receiver right out of the vice and skinned a knuckle or two. More swearing. Wife and kids heard me upstairs. Now my 3 year old son is running around saying "son of a bealpole!" at the top of his lungs. Or something like that.

Somebody help me! I'm not willing to give up on the barrel too!

Posted :: 10/5/2008 5:44:11 PM MDT

BUY YOUR OWN UPPER BLOCK!!!

That is the best advice I can possibly give, it will be the most useful $40 you ever spend. I decided to craft my own upper block out of some thick sturdy wood and paid the price by scratching the shit out of my upper and skinning my knuckles pretty badly.

Posted: Today 12:07:41 PM MST

During my first build I managed to tweak my Rock River flat top upper ever so slightly so that the bolt will seat when forced, but normally not on its own. There is no apparent visible damage, but I know the receiver is out of true because of the issue with the bolt not wanting to seat on its own. This happened because I was trying to install the barrel in a vise with a couple 2x4s. I ordered a new upper, and the gun now has about 1K rounds through it so I learned my lesson the hard way. My question is, is there any way I can have that upper re-trued? It's just sitting in a box in my office, so it's not doing much for me, but now I have a new lower to play with. I just thought I'd ask in case anyone has ever heard of that kind of a repair. Thanks!

Posted: 1/5/2009 12:14:11 PM MDT

I purchased a cosmetic blem upper to replace a upper that I cracked during a barrel change (did not use the proper tools, which I now have). I noticed as I inserted the barrel into the new cosmetic blem upper there was a lot of play. I measured the inside diameter and it was 1.001 to 1.002. I have two other stripped uppers and they both measured 1.000. Is the blem upper out of spec and is it safe to use?

Posted: Today 11:43:23 AM

Back many years ago before I had a vice block I used to wrap my uppers in a piece of leather and put them in a vice to change barrels. I wasn't paying attention one time and bent the area you are having a problem with. It wasn't noticeable until I slid the BCG in and felt the resistance at the port door. I put the upper on the work bench and used a block of wood and a dead blow hammer to straiten it back out. I've never had a problem with that upper and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I had to. I did get on the ball and get a vice block and barrel blocks after it happened. Anyway if it was me Id straiten it out and go from there. If it bugs you knowing it's been bent then replace it, but if you run it and it doesn't bother you then forget it and go on.

Posted: Today 10:13:21 AM

m249saw
7 September 2010, 15:13
I always use the right tools. God know how much Ive spent on them.

Like I said my Brownells Clamshell block doesn't completely close with the Rainier upper like it does with mil-spec keyhole type forged uppers. I ended up ordering the DPMS Panther claw off Brownells. so Ill just have two types of vice blocks :)

Quib
7 September 2010, 15:33
I always use the right tools.

I'm sure you do. [:)]

I simply like to put those quotes out there when I see alternate methods mentioned which do not involve the tools design specifically for a barrel R&R.

I know some guys get anxious to assemble and can't wait for tooling to ship, or think the tooling is too expensive.

I hate reading about destroyed upper receivers because of improper methods used.....especially an upper as nice as the RA Billet Upper.

John Hwang
25 September 2010, 00:00
We use the DPMS Panther Claw for most uppers. The ones that don't fit, we use the PRI. I'm not a fan of the clam shell design as it can ruin upper finishes.

Stickman
25 September 2010, 08:56
We use the DPMS Panther Claw for most uppers. The ones that don't fit, we use the PRI. I'm not a fan of the clam shell design as it can ruin upper finishes.

That tell-tale marring on the left side of the receiver.....

I typically use the DPMS Panther as well, or I did until I loaned it to someone and never got it back. Now I'm back to the clamshell, but I'll pick up another DPMS unit eventually.

Quib
25 September 2010, 09:34
That tell-tale marring on the left side of the receiver.....

I've eliminated those marks in the past, by placing a shop towel in the vice block, then closing it around the receiver.

m249saw
25 September 2010, 11:41
I got the Panther Claw from Brownells, worked great.

Was a little tough getting the retaining pins through the Rainier Upper all the way. On a forged upper went in like butter.

Suffice to say all these fitment issues Ive had Ill just stick to forged uppers and lowers instead of billet in the future.