PDA

View Full Version : Stag Arms Model 2T

Craig
7 September 2010, 16:12
I am new to the AR15 community. I, spontaneously, bought a new Stag Arms Model 2T from a co-worker who bought the gun a month ago. He bought it, put it in the closet and then asked me if I'd be interested in buying it about a month later. He never shot it.

So, now I have it and I'm curious about what all I can do with it. I've researched the forums and found several different types of mods and upgrades that can be done externally. But, what I'm interested in is upgrading the internal components. Like I said, the thing is new. I've put 100 rounds of 5.56 ammo thru it and really enjoyed shooting it.

What kind of internal components can or should I change to make it operate better. I don't see myself shooting every weekend. But I could see myself putting a couple thousand rounds thru it a year.

Just lookinig for some feedback about what I have and what I can do with it!

Thanks,
-Craig

TehLlama
7 September 2010, 16:36
I'd get the BCM Bolt upgrade kit (just the extractor spring and O-Ring), and some PMags. You don't need the extractor kit, but it's good to have on hand if you're running cheaper ammunition and need to troubleshoot. Learn how to effectively lube it, and you're in business. You'll keep getting better with the system, and likely enjoy it more than you already do. Enjoy!

m249saw
7 September 2010, 17:25
At this point I wouldn't replace stuff that isn't broken. If you have trouble down the line just post up whats happening and we can try to give you suggestions. Just have fun shooting it, like said above buy some PMags and ammo. You will probably want some kind of optic in the future so start thinking about that.

With the AR if there is one little thing you dont like about your rifle, there are probably 20 different companies that make a replacement part for it.

And welcome to WEVO!

Hmac
7 September 2010, 22:51
I have a Stag 2T. Recently gave it to my son, but it has about 3000 rounds through it with no problems. I think it's a fine rifle. I keep a spare BCM BCG around as well as some extra extractor parts, but I've never had to use them on the Stag.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/125292981.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/126402320.jpg

Craig
8 September 2010, 17:38
Everyone, thanks for your input!

Hmac, that is definately a nice looking setup! Glad to hear that your Stag has been pretty solid. That gives me some confidence in my purchase.

I've been mostly a handgun and shotgun shooter over the last ten years or so. But this AR has really kinda jumpstarted my interest again. Just seeing all the different options available is kinda overwhelming. Ton's of info available out there. Just need to sort out what's reliable and what's bunk.

I've already got ideas on buttstock changes and sling options. I've ordered 5 Pmags, some rail covers, and have purchased a ton of 5.56mm ammo. I have never shot anything with a holographic sight, so getting one and sighting it in will be fun!

I'm pretty excited about this rifle and really looking forward to seeing what I can do with it.

-Craig

Hmac
9 September 2010, 06:17
Re:sling...I've gone to two-point with quick detach on mt other rifles, while that Stag is set up for hooks as on the Magpul MS-2 sling (note the ASAP end plate). I've since gone to Noveske QD end plates.

Re:butt stock...the Stag buffer tube is mil spec so your options are wide open

gunnyscouts2
9 September 2010, 13:34
Hmac, think I was talking to you in another forum. I have a Stag 2tl and love it. I have shot it about 3 to 3 1/2 K rounds and not a problem. My problem is I cannot get a good left handed carrige and bolt for it. Havent needed one yet. Extractor is good, I do have a spare. Very accurate and love shooting it.

TehLlama
9 September 2010, 19:04
I've already got ideas on buttstock changes and sling options. I've ordered 5 Pmags, some rail covers, and have purchased a ton of 5.56mm ammo. I have never shot anything with a holographic sight, so getting one and sighting it in will be fun!
-Craig

Then you're set for now - good magazines, good ammo, and lube will make it a reliable weapon.
The current buttstock is fine for now - run some rounds through it, decide what direction (if any) you want to go with it, then start evaluating stocks, slings, etc.

Craig
9 September 2010, 20:40
Thanks for all the input guys! I'm looking forward to researching the other posts and learning as much from around here as I can!

Tucson
10 November 2010, 14:51
Necro-post... Sorry, but I haven't stopped by in a long while and the first thing I did was search "Stag 2t" and came upon this post. It's been a couple of months since the OP posted so I imagine you've had the opportunity to get your rifle out for some shooting. Similar to another Stag owner above; I have just over 3k rounds though my Stag 2t and it has been flawless. I have no concerns about the quality of this rifle. A lot of searching online has produced an overwhelming majority of satisfied Stag owner's reviews and experiences. It seem that the quality is not a fluke.

Here is how I set mine up:

It could be considered a bit on the heavy side but It works for me.

Stag Model 2T - 105.5 oz (includes 10.5 oz Samson Star-C rail)
PMAG (loaded) 17.8 oz
Eotech 512 (w/out batteries) - 11.5 oz
Steamlight TLR-2- 4.72 oz (with batteries)
VLTOR Clubfoot Stock - 9 oz
GG&G VFG - 2.4 oz
AA Batteries - .81 oz (x6) = 4.86 oz (2 in EoTech, 4 stored on rifle)
Blackhawk Storm Sling - 8 oz
Magpul ASAP sling plate - added weight unknown
Magpul MIAD grip - added weight unknown

Total loaded weight - 164.62 oz (~10.3 lbs)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/jloftus/AR1911with511bag.jpg

Beaux
20 November 2010, 05:54
The 2TL (I'm a lefty) was my first. It has worked flawless and I've had it in multiple configs, I think I've settled on how it will remain. It's the one on the bottom ......

Magpul MOE
Magpul rear BUIS
Surefire M95
EOTech 557
Ergo grip and VFG

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/gmsssi/AR/IMG_0643.jpg

The top one is a LMT build. East Coast Guns Sales, my primary supplier of firearms, is getting into the AR business so I bought one of their lowers. These lowers are contracted from LMT. Then I bought a LMT carbine upper and BCG, gun has 1/7 twist. I put the FDE furniture (M/A quad rail & Magpul MOE) on and added a Magpul trigger guard, Magpul rear BUIS, and Magpul angled forward grip. Topped it off with a ACOG TA31H ....... It's a righty though .......... :)

silv
29 November 2010, 23:29
I have a Stag 2T. Recently gave it to my son, but it has about 3000 rounds through it with no problems. I think it's a fine rifle. I keep a spare BCM BCG around as well as some extra extractor parts, but I've never had to use them on the Stag.

I would like to know where you found that mount for that 6p and what its called. I would like one. Thanks

Hmac
4 December 2010, 08:52
That light mount is a CAA spring-loaded push-button quick-detach mount and it swings around into 5 different positions. It's OK, but I've switched over to using Gear Sector mounts for G2 or G2x lights, or Streamlight TLR weapon lights on the rail The spring-loaded push-button concept is convenient but not as solid a mount as I'd like. The price is right on the CAA, but I suspect it's an Airsoft design.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/command-arms-accessories-flashlight-accessories.html