PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear sight question

Wondering Beard
8 September 2010, 06:14
Does the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear sight have a "same plane aperture" (I think that's the proper wording) for both its apertures?

Paulo_Santos
8 September 2010, 15:42
No, it is the A2 style aperature, not same plane

rob_s
8 September 2010, 16:17
The good news is that since it is an A2 aperture in an A1 mount you can replace it with any of a number of same-plane options. I installed a Paul Howe CSAT (http://www.xssights.com/store/CSAT.html) in mine.

Wondering Beard
9 September 2010, 11:10
Thanks Guys!

Why is that most such rear sights do not have same plane apertures? Is there an advantage to it somehow or is it just easier to manufacture?

The good news is that since it is an A2 aperture in an A1 mount you can replace it with any of a number of same-plane options. I installed a Paul Howe CSAT (http://www.xssights.com/store/CSAT.html) in mine.

Rob, how do you like the CSAT? I've reports, on the oh so reliable internet ;), that since one's face is so close to the sight, it ends up being blurry and not as practical as originally thought.

The concept though sounds really good.

Paulo_Santos
9 September 2010, 12:10
I have the ARMS #71 which has the similar notch and it is blurry when inside, but it is better outside. I honestly don't think it really matters if it is a little blurry because it is supposed to be used from 0-10 yards, which is pretty hard to miss at that range.

Don't quote me, but I think the A2 works in a similar fashion. You zero using the small aperature for the longer distance shots and the large aperature is for the closer range.

Wondering Beard
9 September 2010, 13:32
You zero using the small aperature for the longer distance shots and the large aperature is for the closer range.

That's what I have read and been told.

Since the two apertures aren't on the same plane what is the offset, approximately, and at which distances?

I ask because, one, it doesn't seem to make much difference to most people but two, I don't really see anyone, in the middle of the action (and assuming that there is no scope as it was decades ago or that it isn't functionning), taking the time to change the aperture while bullets are flying in.