PDA

View Full Version : Sig I-dot night sights..?

willardcw4
12 September 2010, 16:55
You can call me weird if you like, but I like the Sig standard I-Dot sights that come on their pistols. I actually prefer them over the standard 3-dot horizontal sights.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any night sights that would fit on a Sig P226 in the I-Dot configuration.

Something similar to: https://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/i-dot

I've been looking around, but haven't found anything promising. If not, I'll probably just get a tritium front sight and leave the stock rear sight.

Wondering Beard
12 September 2010, 17:28
Nothing weird about liking that system. Personally, I think the three dot system isn't as good an idea as it sounds.

Often enough, if you align the three dots your POI will be different than if you aligned the tops of your front sight and rear sight. It's not that big a deal for fast and furious shooting at close range but it could be if you have to make a precision shot.

Moreover, the two dots in the rear can be a bit overwhelming, especially if the opening is narrow (.125 and smaller), and make it tough to focus on the front sight. This is especially true if your eyes aren't what they used to be.

I favor a plain black rear, or at most a one tritium dot rear, with at least a .140 opening, coupled with a tritium or gold bead front.

I think you will be very pleased by the sights offered by Heinie for SIGs (http://www.heinie.com/index.php?cPath=9_12&osCsid=an97j9g0p5te042nnlkrr5cpd6)

Edited to fix link

willardcw4
12 September 2010, 18:50
The Heinie sights look pretty solid. Definitely what I was looking for :)

I noticed that you can pick your rear notch width. Standard is .125", and then there are .140" and .156". I can only speculate as to the benefits of a larger width (assuming there are some). Any input??

Wondering Beard
13 September 2010, 06:55
The larger the width, the easiest and fastest it is to pick up the front sight.

My eyes aren't what they used to be and thus focusing fast on the front sight is getting tough when there isn't much"light" surrounding the front sight. Ten years ago, a .125" notch would have been sufficient and I can still do ok with it but when I switched to a larger rear, my times improved dramatically.

Accuracy isn't really affected since you still have to align the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight in order to get a precise shot (which we should do at speed as well as for slow fire, anyway). My recommendation is to go with the .140" notch even if your eyes are in perfect condition.

Heinie sights are very solid and are considered to be one of the standards by which others are judged.

I have them on four of my guns and never once have I had problems (all these guns have been through high round count classes; Gunsite, DTI etc..). Also, I believe that Heinie uses Trijicon tritium vials which are the most rugged and long lasting in the business as far as I'm concerned.

To makes things even nicer, you can send them your slide and they will install your choice of sights. Turnaround time is generally a couple of weeks, if I remember it right.

oregonshooter
13 September 2010, 15:29
Accuracy isn't really affected since you still have to align the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight in order to get a precise shot (which we should do at speed as well as for slow fire, anyway). My recommendation is to go with the .140" notch even if your eyes are in perfect condition.

+1 I have been testing .155 and .140 on my guns and find no advantage in speed at .155 but definite advantage at 50 yards for 8" plates with .140

All my sights (Heinie Slant Pros) are being cut to .140 now