PDA

View Full Version : Extended or Non-Extended?

Aragorn
19 September 2010, 11:45
Time has come to purchase a scope mount. The mount I'm going to be ordering will be a Bobro. The scope is going to be a Nightforce NXS 1-4x24 wearing a cat tail. I actually ordered the extended mount from Rainier yesterday. It wasn't until AFTER I placed the order that I noticed in pictures that the cat tail and the aft section of the extended mount may very not work together, as they may take up the same space. I immediately emailed Rainier and asked them not to ship the order until I got confirmation. Much to my surprise I got an email from John Hwang TODAY in reply. The only reason I say "surprise" is because it's Sunday! John didn't know if it would fit because he didn't have a Nightforce on hand. He did offer to let me try it, and then refund my money if it doesn't fit.

THAT is customer service.

However, for their sake as well as mine, I would prefer to make the right order the first time. So back to my quandary.
Does anyone know if a cat tail on a NXS 1-4 will clear a Bobro extended mount? Do I even NEED the extended mount? The non extended Bobro already appears to stick out pretty far. The reason I picked the extended mount was actually just to have a little more room to play with eye relief to find the sweet spot. I'm using a VLTOR MUR upper and a DD Lite Rail. Despite having a continuous top rail I would like the mount to stay on the receiver if possible.

Stickman
19 September 2010, 12:23
Its been so long since I've played around with the Nightforce 1x4 that I can't remember, I'm not going to be any help on this one. I had thought that eye relief was pretty generous with it, but my time with them has been mainly at trade shows, so I could be thinking of a different model.

I believe you could use either mount, so please let me know what you end up with and how you like it.

Have you used the Bobro line of mounts before?

Aragorn
19 September 2010, 12:35
The Nightforce 1x4 has an eye relief of 3.5" which, in my book, is generous. I'll also add that the scope is 8.8" long, with 5.4" in mounting length. I have not gotten to use a Bobro mount before and in fact have never even so much as held one. I've used several LaRue's before, and while great, the appeal of the Bobro to me is in the self adjusting locking mechanism, the fact that it won't mar the finish, and that it's lower than the LaRue's I've handled.

Stickman
19 September 2010, 13:19
The Bobro is like comparing jet engines to propellers in airplanes. Its unfair....

Paulo_Santos
19 September 2010, 14:46

I'm pretty sure it will work.

Aragorn
19 September 2010, 21:20
Actually those two pictures illustrate exactly what I am concerned about. On the exploded views you can see how on the LaRue extended mount, it immediately tapers off after the aft scope ring, whereas on the Bobro the bar (for lack of a better term) remains well above the locking cam. If you were to project the same bar out the rear on the LaRue you could see how there would be a serious potential for interference.

I'll send an email to Bobro to see it they know.

Paulo_Santos
20 September 2010, 05:33
I think it will be very close, but it should work from looking at the cat's tail design.

Aragorn
20 September 2010, 20:25
Got my reply from Bobro.

"With the 202, the cat-tail just might clear-if it doesn't, I can swap any sub-base- The 200 will definitely clear, but the 202 is farther forward and a bit taller, and some shooters prefer this- Andrew"

I'm just going to take it as a matter of faith that the 202 is the extended, while the 200 is the standard. Since part of the appeal was the lower height over bore, and I KNOW the cat tail will clear the standard, the standard will be my choice.