PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE handguard

TigerStripe
3 February 2008, 22:43
http://album.weaponevolution.com/SHOT/IMG_0732%201028%20WEVO.jpg Are these FF or Non-FF???

TIA,

TS

Stickman
4 February 2008, 07:49
TS,

Think of them as a basic drop in handguard that looks different. They also have the slots cut in for drop in rail sections.

On a side note, the drop in 1913 rails that are currently available will work, but I think that Magpul should take a serious look at creating their own polymer 1913 panels. While aluminum rail sections are nice, I don't think that they are needed for holding a flashlight on many weapons.

TigerStripe
4 February 2008, 10:03
Gotcha, thanks!

TS

decodeddiesel
7 February 2008, 21:08
OK here's another question, as per the magpul 2008 catalog, it states the MOE hand guard will have rail adapters at 2 and 10 o'clock. So is this saying there will be no way to mount a rail at 6 o'clock and therefor mount a VFG? I suppose one could drill their own mounting holes (the hand guards are only supposed to MSRP at $30 or so) and not feel too bad, but still I would think it would be a given to include them into the design.

SuicideHz
9 February 2008, 11:35
Maybe there were options at 6 but you couldn't see it in pictures perhaps?

It's plastic, you can do whatever you want to it!

TigerStripe
9 February 2008, 13:03
They come available with rail slots at 6, 12, 10 and 2... From Richard...

Originally Posted By Magpul:

Originally Posted By Sancho_Boffin:
1. Will there one to replace midlength handguard?

2. Will there be slots at 6 o'clock for a virticle grip? How about at 12?

There look like they are exactly the type of thing I want but one of the rifles I want one for is midlength.

We will look at a midlenght version and yes a rail can be mounted at 6, 10 and 2 o'clock

decodeddiesel
12 February 2008, 08:26
Oh ok, it doesn't seem to mention rail adapters at 6 and 12 in the catalog, but I'd buy it coming straight from the horses mouth. Cool, mark me down for one when they're available!

SuicideHz
13 March 2008, 16:08
Yeah, I've seen more pictures since my response. Definitely possible to mount them at those locations.

JP223
5 April 2008, 20:36
When are they going to be for sale?

Stickman
5 April 2008, 20:38
When are they going to be for sale?

No hard release dates are given by Magpul anymore. My guess is that we are a few months out still.

SHIHAN
6 April 2008, 17:13
Its funny the MOE stuff is supposed to be the less expensive Magpul line but I really like some of the items. This MOE handguard if they made it FF would be really nifty.

JAH-23
8 August 2008, 17:13
I know this is an old thread but is this still a go and if so, will it come in mid-length? thanks

TigerStripe
8 August 2008, 18:58
It's still a go. The handguards are the only piece missing, unless you count the MBUS. The midlength question has been asked but not answered.

TS

Stickman
8 August 2008, 19:30
I think we will see midlength MOE handguards, but that is a hunch on my part, and not to be confused with any official info.

Stickman
28 September 2008, 16:54
Release info posted.....

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4569&posted=1#post4569

ETA- I'm working on the review currently, and it should be up tonight. If you have any questions I can answer, feel free to post them.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_9278%201028%20Stick.jpg

Uglyduck
28 September 2008, 22:57
Nice review and excellent pics as always Stick. I think Magpul hit a homerun with the MOE line. I know I will be using them soon. Good, durable, and mission adaptable with competitive prices. Definitely products of excellent value.

TehLlama
30 September 2008, 12:19
How is the heatshielding likely to be done on these?

JAH-23
30 September 2008, 14:48
Any word on if there will be a midlength released? Thanks for the info and photos Stick!

Stickman
30 September 2008, 16:36
How is the heatshielding likely to be done on these?

If you look at the picture of the lower section, you will see that the heat shield inside wraps up and around. I'm not sure if the production models will be any different.

Lancelot
1 October 2008, 10:06
I am ready for a set.

Will they come with rails, or will those be an extra cost option?

Stickman
1 October 2008, 17:40
The handguards do not come with the rail sections.

Malleus Dei
2 October 2008, 18:21
Release info posted.....

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4569&posted=1#post4569

ETA- I'm working on the review currently, and it should be up tonight. If you have any questions I can answer, feel free to post them.

Curious as to the overall feel of the handguard. The MOE appears to be narrower than standard carbine units. Similar to the appeal of the Daniel Defense FF rails for their narrower profile. Your opinion?

Stickman
2 October 2008, 19:06
Its a different, but comfortable feel. The problem is that comfort is like looks, they are both subjective. I'll get some more pictures that show other angles.

Malleus Dei
2 October 2008, 21:25
Its a different, but comfortable feel. The problem is that comfort is like looks, they are both subjective. I'll get some more pictures that show other angles.

I appreciate your input and your willingness to supply more pics. Hope I am not imposing, but what are the chances and creating pics with some side by side comparisons with the standard carbine handguards just for a point of reference.

Thank you!

sodak
23 December 2008, 19:27
Hey Stickman, since you are one of the few who has handled the hanguards I was hoping you could answer this. If I attached a vertical foregrip and the attached a surefire 6p on one of th side slots, should my thumb be able to reach the button on the light's tailcap. I really like the idea of these handguards, but I realized that to be able to mount a 6p on them and be able to easily activate it, I'm going to have to get a vfg. I guess I'm trying to deicide if the moe handguard will work out like I want, because if it doesn't I'll either look at a fsb light mount or just get a troy mrf-di.

Stickman
23 December 2008, 21:49
I appreciate your input and your willingness to supply more pics. Hope I am not imposing, but what are the chances and creating pics with some side by side comparisons with the standard carbine handguards just for a point of reference.

Thank you!

I missed this post, I'll see what I can do (and hopefully I will remember).

Stickman
23 December 2008, 21:51
Hey Stickman, since you are one of the few who has handled the hanguards I was hoping you could answer this. If I attached a vertical foregrip and the attached a surefire 6p on one of th side slots, should my thumb be able to reach the button on the light's tailcap. I really like the idea of these handguards, but I realized that to be able to mount a 6p on them and be able to easily activate it, I'm going to have to get a vfg. I guess I'm trying to deicide if the moe handguard will work out like I want, because if it doesn't I'll either look at a fsb light mount or just get a troy mrf-di.

You should be able to do that without any problem. If you look at the below picture, you can see that there is a lower section which you can attach a rail to. This should allow people with small fingers and hands to be able to work this without any trouble.

I'm not a fan of tape switches, so I think its a great design with the MOE handguard having it laid out this way.

FiftyCalAl
5 January 2009, 11:01
where is a source for the rail section? any favorites? source? length? Thansk! Alan

Also, with Mag releasing them this week per ARFCOM thread, who has them for sale?

Stickman
5 January 2009, 11:46
I am unaware of anyone who has them for sale quite yet.

ETA

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Charles%20Daly%20Carbines/0O2P0257-A-1028-Stick.jpg

FiftyCalAl
5 January 2009, 12:10
I just got off the phone wuth Brownells. They will receive them 11JAN09. As a dealer, they let me back order them; not sure if they will for retail customers. They are not in internet catalog yet-had to call and she looked them up on order list.

Also, Rich from MagPul suggested Falcon polymer rails from ERGO on a thread at ARFCOM

[EMAIL=http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4356-2&storeid=1&image=ergoprail.gif&CFID=29685542&CFTOKEN=67055424[/EMAIL]http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4356-2&storeid=1&image=ergoprail.gif&CFID=29685542&CFTOKEN=67055424

Ryo
9 January 2009, 17:27
Well people who ordered the MPL MOE from Noveske is going to get these. Wonder if they will come with the rails. I'm still holding my breath on whether I like them or not, but it's definitely cooler than stock handguards.

Stickman, Do you have pictures of them having the rails and accessories installed on them? Really interested in what my rifle would look like when I get it.

Army Chief
9 January 2009, 23:35
Good question, certainly, but I seriously doubt that the rails are included. That is admittedly just a guess on my part, as we've not really seen these break cover yet outside of reviews. My guess is that, according to the design philosophy of the MOE line, these will remain an optional retrofit, rather than standard kit.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, but one has to keep in mind that those with a real-world need for working rail space are probably already pondering an Omega, and not a handguard mounted solution. I'm prepared to give the MOE a try as a light mount and rudimentary VFG solution, but am still not expecting a rail kit up front.

AC

Army Chief
9 January 2009, 23:45
Stickman, Do you have pictures of them having the rails and accessories installed on them? Really interested in what my rifle would look like when I get it.

Yes -- Stick has posted relevant photos in earlier reviews (I would have to go search for them, but I know that they exist in his repository), but what I'm waiting for is a quick and dirty photo expose of the MOE carbine with an M4-2000 mounted up to it, just as God intended. ;)

AC

Stickman
10 January 2009, 07:25
Yes -- Stick has posted relevant photos in earlier reviews (I would have to go search for them, but I know that they exist in his repository), but what I'm waiting for is a quick and dirty photo expose of the MOE carbine with an M4-2000 mounted up to it, just as God intended. ;)

AC

Here is a quick photo that I already have uploaded.....

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/AAC/0O2P1079-1028-Stick.jpg

Stickman
10 January 2009, 07:33

While the handguards won't be coming with rails, here is a quick image of what you could expect.

I've got a better picture, but I need to slap a logo on it and get it uploaded.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_9326%201028%20Stick.jpg

Army Chief
10 January 2009, 07:51
Here is a quick photo that I already have uploaded.....

Stick, it probably took me all of about 90 seconds to find that one in your collection. Where do you think I got the idea to ask about seeing it mounted up? ;)

AC

Cru Jones
12 January 2009, 20:09
Have these handguards been released yet? I thought I read here (or somewhere else) that they were able to order them this week.

T3550N
12 January 2009, 22:04
A couple vendors have posted on M4C saying that they have them.
Grant from G&R Tactical is one, I believe that E Guns was another.

Neither have it listed on their site.

Army Chief
12 January 2009, 22:07
They have been released, yes, but like any new product, that doesn't mean that they will be particularly easy to find just yet. So far, I've only heard about them being offered in black, and only in a few locations. Try one of the forum vendors, or G and R Tactical (http://www.gandrtactical.com)-- Grant mentioned that he got several in the other day.

AC

Army Chief
12 January 2009, 22:07
Somebody (like me, for instance) got beat to the draw while replying. :)

AC

Cru Jones
13 January 2009, 09:33
Thanks for the info guys. I'll try and hunt one down.

Ryo
13 January 2009, 10:21
Somebody (like me, for instance) got beat to the draw while replying. :)

AC

Yah, but you offered a active link. [:D]

T3550N
13 January 2009, 11:24
True true. I see people avoiding active links on this forum and on M4C. Didn't know if it was forum etiquette not to, so I've been following suit. :)

Army Chief
13 January 2009, 12:06
Thanks, gents.

I think the standing rule just about everywhere is that links and photos* are always appreciated, but they obviously involve some extra effort. It's no big deal for me, but some folks are understandably less comfortable with the coding required -- even if it's pretty straightforward.

AC

* On that note, Ryo be sure to post a couple of photos when your MPL MOE arrives so I can enjoy it vicariously -- I won't get to see mine until November or so. ;)

Cru Jones
13 January 2009, 22:32
I see they've made it to eBay already...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magpul-MOE-Handguards-BLACK_W0QQitemZ110336261589QQcmdZViewItem

Ryo
14 January 2009, 01:11
Interesting.. thought handguards would be against eBay's policies.

T3550N
14 January 2009, 07:00
They're just "handguards". Handguards to what? Irrelevant. Guarding is good...you know...on your hands... ;)

Phazuka
14 January 2009, 13:25
Anyone have pics of these new handguards on just a regular M4 type?

Stickman
14 January 2009, 13:51
Anyone have pics of these new handguards on just a regular M4 type?

What do you mean regular type M4? Most standard Military M4 have rails, an Aimpoint, and VFG. What sort of layout were you looking for?

Phazuka
14 January 2009, 13:59
What do you mean regular type M4? Most standard Military M4 have rails, an Aimpoint, and VFG. What sort of layout were you looking for?

M4 profile barrel. Also, will these handguards fit other types of profile gas blocks (including low profile) or railed gas blocks?

Stickman
14 January 2009, 14:06
M4 profile barrel. Also, will these handguards fit other types of profile gas blocks (including low profile) or railed gas blocks?

They have fit all the various types of barrel profiles I've tried them on, remember, they are simply a drop in replacement for traditional handguards. If carbine handguards fit, these will fit.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8650%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

Phazuka
14 January 2009, 14:22
They have fit all the various types of barrel profiles I've tried them on, remember, they are simply a drop in replacement for traditional handguards. If carbine handguards fit, these will fit.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8650%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

That's what I was looking for, thanks Stickman!

Army Chief
16 January 2009, 07:51
This is just me dreaming out loud, but I would be especially pleased with a short VFG solution that mounted up directly to the handguard itself, thus streamlining and simplifying the install, and eliminatiing the need to add rail sections and conventional (i.e. unnecessarily bulky) mounts to the grip itself.

Granted, a VFG bolted to a drop-in handguard has its limitations, but as a non-load-bearing reference point/hand stop, it could be quite useful. I don't apply a lot of lateral pressure to a VFG, nor to I need anything close to a full length grip, but it is often advantageous to have something there. If that something had a minimalist profile and a nice positive lock-up to the handguard, I would definitely consider it.

AC

Ryo
16 January 2009, 09:15
Another picture to add to my collection. :) Nice Stickman.

akula88
18 January 2009, 05:23
Does the handguard comes with heat shield -- double or single?

Picture request : Any 'barrel' view of the MOE-HG side-by-side with a regular CAR or M4 HG?

sodak
18 January 2009, 07:13
Anyone know who has the handguards in stock right now?

T3550N
18 January 2009, 08:42
Grant at G&R Tactical (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home). He was away for the shot show, but if you call in first thing Monday, you should be able to reach him. If not, leave a message.

OUTLAW-ONE
18 January 2009, 11:19
I wish Magpul would have made these in different lengths. I need a MOE handguard for my mid-length, low profile AR.:mad:

Stickman
18 January 2009, 14:25
Anyone know who has the handguards in stock right now?

Rainier Arms has them in stock, give them a call. They will go up on the website monday or tuesday, but they are there and shipping now. Bravo, Dennys, Brownells and a couple others should currently have them as well, but the only one I know for a fact that has them is RA, and thats because the owner is sitting next to me in the airport.

Stickman
18 January 2009, 14:28
I wish Magpul would have made these in different lengths. I need a MOE handguard for my mid-length, low profile AR.:mad:

This site is based on factual information, who told you that Magpul is not making a midlength MOE handguard? Go ahead and call them out on it.

sodak
18 January 2009, 20:25
Rainier Arms has them in stock, give them a call. They will go up on the website monday or tuesday, but they are there and shipping now. Bravo, Dennys, Brownells and a couple others should currently have them as well, but the only one I know for a fact that has them is RA, and thats because the owner is sitting next to me in the airport.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know if magpul has any intentions of making these in a rifle length?

Teufeldog
18 January 2009, 21:47
I may have missed this but will Rainier Arms have other than black MOE guards? G&R only has black.

Cru Jones
20 January 2009, 19:11
Just picked up a couple from RA. Thanks Stickman for giving me the heads up on them.

Stickman
20 January 2009, 19:20
Other colors will be coming, but black is always the first color that Magpul seems to release.

No news on other lengths, Magpul stays quiet on new items that may or may not be in the pipeline.

Ryo
20 January 2009, 21:38
Makes only sense to sell black first. It's neutral and everyone can use them. I believe the UBR's and PMAGs are majority sold as black based on what I heard from DSG Arms rep.

OUTLAW-ONE
21 January 2009, 21:16
If I order a set, where do I get the rail attachments for them?

Army Chief
21 January 2009, 21:46
While there is more than one source for these, the one that comes most readily to mind is Falcon Industries (http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4352&storeid=1&image=ergoaump.gif&CFID=33450155&CFTOKEN=72149650).

AC

Ryo
22 January 2009, 01:58
Sweet, a link to something I was going to ask for too. :)

Ryo
23 January 2009, 02:00
More photos for the collection. I've really warmed up to the MOE. Kind of like them. Originally I thought they were ugly..

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn14/Ryo_Ohki2/IMG_2137mod.jpg

T3550N
23 January 2009, 06:55
Very nice, Ryo.

Ryo
23 January 2009, 08:31
Thanks, Just trying to learn from Stickman.

Army Chief
23 January 2009, 09:57
I think even Stick would be a bit impressed with your work there -- well done!

I always appreciate seeing different views of the MOE, too, as I won't be "hands on" until much later in the year. I'm still trying to sift through my optics preferences ... and not making much progress. I'd like to set it up with a compact ACOG, but know that a T1 or M4 would be better suited to training environments. I would ante up for a Short Dot, but I'm not even sure that is going to still be "best in class" for very much longer. Too many options! :)

AC

T3550N
23 January 2009, 13:25
Better than too few. :P

Ryo
23 January 2009, 17:08
If your planning to use a ACOG for duty then get the ACOG. Don't get the Aimpoint T1 just because it's easier for training environments. Train with what you're going to use.

edit: Oh forgot to say thanks about the comment [:)]

TehLlama
23 January 2009, 19:20
Thanks for the heads up. Do you know if magpul has any intentions of making these in a rifle length?

I'd expect to see middy ones within a couple months, followed by rifle.

Compare the release dates with the Omega rail systems - 7, 9, 12.

Also makes me wonder if they'll have an Rifle-X version of the MOE handguards, set up like the MI CX models. Would allow full rails to be added, and most affordable mounting of a SF X300 at 12' front.

Army Chief
24 January 2009, 02:50
Train with what you're going to use.

Sound advice to be sure.

I guess the part I left out is that I'm in something of a transition; after 26 years in uniform, I'm finally in a position where my needs/wants/desires no longer need to be driven by operational requirements. In exploring what might be the best fit for me personally, without respect for team compatibility or external standarization, I'm admittedly branching out a bit. As a LH rifleman who has always altered my manipulations to suit the weapon, I'm now interested in altering a weapon to suit my manipulations. That was at least partly what drove me to invest in the MOE, as the MPLA offers a host of new possibilities.

To get back on topic, I've spent most of my career as an iron sights guy, and while I have some experience with Aimpoints, the only glass I use on a regular basis is a S&B Zenith Flash Dot (1.5-6x42mm) on my hunting carbine. I'm a very young 43, but 43 nonetheless, so I'm beginning to appreciate some magnification for general range work as presbyopia begins to set in. For close-in work, obviously that can work against you, so I wouldn't hesitate to go with a Short Dot if I thought it offered the best compromise. Trijicon has me rethinking that just a bit with the TR-24 release, and I had some earlier interest in the Nightforce NXS -- though the latter didn't offer much in the way of daylight-visible illumination. I'm looking for variable versatility, as opposed to a 1:1 RDS -- and am willing to pay for the right product -- but I'm just not settled on what that might be. (ACOGs definitely appeal to me as well, but at what cost for close-in work? I don't really want the compexity of a Docter riding shotgun.)

Now we've ventured pretty far afield from discussing MOE handguards, so this might be a better conversation for an altogether new post; that said, whatever I end up doing optics-wise, I think the ability to add short rail sections to the MOE will really eliminate the need to retrofit a rail. A light, and maybe a short VFG will more than suffice for my purposes.

NOTE: I've transplanted the optics part of this conversation as a new post (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807), so please limit follow-on discussion here to the topic of MOE handguards, so as to maintain the integrity of the thread. Thanks!

AC

103m 95g
31 January 2009, 06:31
Here is my contribution, This is a mutt of a carbine, but the MOE furniture is very nice.
Bushy lower, A1 upper, Colt 1/2 circle BCG, 16", heavy under the handguards, cast FSB. purchased back in '92 for $350. A range toy/beater

Front to rear fit of the MOE HG's are nice and tight, there is slight rotational movement, almost unnoticeable. the light mount is an Elzetta, purchased from Rainierarms. the Hg's and the light mount touch ever so slightly but the combination seems to work.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/DSCN1644.jpg

Stickman
31 January 2009, 08:48
Interesting looking setup, I like it. Nice and simple.

Tim_AZ
31 January 2009, 22:04
I've posted this in a couple of other places but I just can't help the fact that this picture makes me smile. I fired the rifle with the MOE hand guards installed for the first time today and I absolutely love them. The level of comfort they provide is way beyond the stock guards and they just look cool. While I like the fact that they partially wrap around the gas block I am also concerned about this design element. If this was a battle rifle I could see that portion of the guard getting snagged on random things and possibly ripped off. I’d like to see Magpul either beef the tabs up, round them off more at the bottom or even eliminate them. Other than that, I see these ending up on any rifle I don’t need a free floating rail on.

http://members.cox.net/murphyt1az/weapons/100_1775.jpg

Stickman
31 January 2009, 22:24
I was asked to show the Magpul MOE handguards next to a standard carbine, here it is.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8028%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

103m 95g
1 February 2009, 08:11
Another thing I have found in checking fit of the MOE HG's on diffrent rifles.
I like for my Eotech to be as far forward as possible for better field of view, however when using standard M4 style handguards the Eotech has to be mounted pretty far back because the battery compartment makes contact with the handguards.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/DSCN16502.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/DSCN16492.jpg

However with the MOE handguards I can mount the Eotech as far forward as I like and the battery compartment does not contact the MOE HG's.
Magpul probably designed it this way but I have not heard or read anyone talk about this feature of the MOE HG's

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/DSCN1647.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/DSCN16482.jpg

sodak
4 February 2009, 21:14
I really want to get one of these to mount a light on, but I'm not sure how well it would work since I don't want to use a vgf. So I'm asking the guys who have them, if I mounted a surefire 6p on one of the side slots as far ahead as possible, would it be a very usable setup?

Stickman
5 February 2009, 06:11
Its usable for me in that configuration, whether it would be for you or not depends on how you use your weapon, and your own likes and dislikes. I tend not to use a VFG on my weapons most of the time, so I mount a light and slide my hand out to manipulate the switch.

Tee-Bruce
6 February 2009, 11:20
Easy modification with Dremel, file & sandpaper...

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/Tee-Bruce/MOEhandguard.jpg

Installed on this...

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/Tee-Bruce/GreenHornetIIa.jpg

Ryo
6 February 2009, 14:51
That looks like a very clean cut.. looks great.

jmorrell
8 February 2009, 06:46
I've got a Colt 6920 with the side mount sling attach point. Do these handguards work with this type of sling attachment without modification, or would I have to remove some plastic to get them to fit?

Stickman
8 February 2009, 15:29
I've read people are using them on side swivel versions without trouble, I have not done it myself.

sodak
8 February 2009, 17:37
Easy modification with Dremel, file & sandpaper...

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/Tee-Bruce/MOEhandguard.jpg

Installed on this...

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/Tee-Bruce/GreenHornetIIa.jpg

Who makes the rail mount you have you light mounted on?

Army Chief
8 February 2009, 22:27
Photographic evidence in some of the posts that Stick is referencing elsewhere would seem to suggest that the side sling mount isn't problematic, although the handguard FS extension does prevent it from lying flat. Likely a non-issue, but I don't know if this would become a point of irritation or present any long-term manipulation problems. Conventional wisdom would suggest that it would not, but the MOE handguards haven't been out long enough for us to see a wide variety of alternate sling mounting configurations -- nor to get much feedback from those using the side mount in hard use.

I suspect that in the end, this will still be much ado about nothing, as it does not appear to be an issue.

AC

Tee-Bruce
9 February 2009, 11:48
A YHM. clamp on, tri rail bbl mount.. custom mounted for me by a machinist buddy of mine utilizing part of the bayo lug.

terry6v
9 February 2009, 18:50
Photographic evidence in some of the posts that Stick is referencing elsewhere would seem to suggest that the side sling mount isn't problematic, although the handguard FS extension does prevent it from lying flat. Likely a non-issue, but I don't know if this would become a point of irritation or present any long-term manipulation problems. Conventional wisdom would suggest that it would not, but the MOE handguards haven't been out long enough for us to see a wide variety of alternate sling mounting configurations -- nor to get much feedback from those using the side mount in hard use.

I suspect that in the end, this will still be much ado about nothing, as it does not appear to be an issue.

AC

My solution to the side sling attachment:
turn it upside down and then it will fold flat abeit towards the barrel end but it works:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3520/3264302749_1a29960b68.jpghttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1144/3265127182_41f5aec817.jpg

Sorry for the terrible pictures, phones about trashed. And you can see that it still folds back toward the shooter enough for the sling to work right. Mines a lefty that's why it's on that side.

Army Chief
9 February 2009, 22:08
Not sure if there are any other issues associated with this approach (I suspect not), but as a fellow southpaw, I definitely like your thinking.

Great first post!

AC

Ryo
9 February 2009, 22:47
My solution to the side sling attachment:
turn it upside down and then it will fold flat abeit towards the barrel end but it works:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3520/3264302749_1a29960b68.jpghttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1144/3265127182_41f5aec817.jpg

Sorry for the terrible pictures, phones about trashed. And you can see that it still folds back toward the shooter enough for the sling to work right. Mines a lefty that's why it's on that side.

Phone camera is probably working as it should.. it's just your too close to the rifle.. you can see items behind your rifle that's in focus. [bash]

Thanks if the pictures. They are clear enough to see and get the idea what's going on.

Just like AC, I can't see anything that could wrong with that if you had to side mount.

5thprofession47
18 February 2009, 22:24
Magpul Industries products page has now added the MOE hanguards again, all colors.

5thprofession47
19 February 2009, 01:06
I ordered a set of the Magpul MOE handguards and was wondering what rails these are? Who manufactures them?

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_9300%201028%20stick.jpg

Army Chief
19 February 2009, 06:47
I believe we've had a sidebar discussion about this elsewhere. Take a look at this link (http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4352&storeid=1&image=ergoaump.gif&CFID=34498983&CFTOKEN=54632123).

AC

5thprofession47
19 February 2009, 17:07
I believe we've had a sidebar discussion about this elsewhere. Take a look at this link (http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4352&storeid=1&image=ergoaump.gif&CFID=34498983&CFTOKEN=54632123).

AC

Thanks for the link!

Shrockp
4 March 2009, 08:55
I've got a Colt 6920 with the side mount sling attach point. Do these handguards work with this type of sling attachment without modification, or would I have to remove some plastic to get them to fit?
I have the MOE handguards on my Bushmaster and have the side sling mount on right side up, it contacts but doesn't seem like it would cause any problems. Although I have been contemplating flipping it as Terry6v did as well.

HS2
4 March 2009, 16:57
PK has them in stock. Got mine today.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_items.aspx?type=0&term=4&pg=2

beavo451
5 March 2009, 12:56
I just got my MOE handguards for my wife's rifle in today. Her's has a side sling swivel (6920 take-off). I flipped it so that it folds flat forwards.

http://xpnphg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pd006U5eRQLes-34ymooDo5ts58rIIEgeZLfcSy6xy6IHTWcQcLAojQP0ZOjX1qE 3-bwK3FGSR0Y/DSC_1865.jpg

103m 95g
5 March 2009, 15:44
Beavo451, lets see the rest of that rifle

beavo451
6 March 2009, 06:45
Beavo451, lets see the rest of that rifle

http://xpnphg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pwOJ7FQW8auR6M1pNx1Xc3m2Eu8nOeWU4g8UJNSxZU5_7coR yejZ8Qsg9i1-OvZQot4a7FynRSe0/moehder.jpg

5thprofession47
20 March 2009, 06:28
I received my foliage green MOE handguards last night from Magpul.

rob_s
20 March 2009, 07:21
Anyone attaching their sling to the handguards? Anyone using an MS2 sling this way?

5thprofession47
21 March 2009, 05:40
Anyone attaching their sling to the handguards? Anyone using an MS2 sling this way?

I have the MS2 sling and a set of MI handguard rails on my AR. I have added the DD sling attachment point to the rails for the option of going to a 2 point set up.

Shrockp
21 March 2009, 19:20
Magpul now has polymer rail sections on there website,
they are 8 slots and fairly inexpensive. Just thought someone on here would like to know.

Army Chief
22 March 2009, 00:27
That could definitely save some running around to place multiple orders; of course, these are the same Falcon Industries rail sections that we have been discussing in previous posts, so if something other than the standard 8-slot variant is desired, there is still the option of buying direct.

Good pickup, thanks!

AC

103m 95g
3 April 2009, 17:05
Back to the top
I think The guys at MAGPUL have really taken huge a leap in the "Evolution" of weapon furniture.
I cant get enough of the M.O.E. products
<cough> new PMAG <cough>
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/011.jpg

CaptainDooley
1 May 2009, 17:52
Silly question I'm sure... but those polymer rails from Magpul/Falcon Industries... If I get the 8 slot version, can I chop that into 2, 4 slot rail sections? I'll just buy two short ones if I need to, but if I could just get away with ordering the long one and chopping it, that seemed to make more sense...

Army Chief
2 May 2009, 02:46
I'd have to look to be sure, but my only concerns with this approach would involve (a) the mounting/attaching points on a cut-down 8'er and (b) having enough hardware on hand to attach them.

If you go with two short rails, you know that the holes will be in the right places, and you'll have everything you need. If you go with chopping down one long one, you may find that you're short attaching bolts, and the holes aren't really in the right places.

This may or may not complicate your plans, but it is something to consider.

AC

federalist22
2 May 2009, 03:09
Silly question I'm sure... but those polymer rails from Magpul/Falcon Industries... If I get the 8 slot version, can I chop that into 2, 4 slot rail sections? I'll just buy two short ones if I need to, but if I could just get away with ordering the long one and chopping it, that seemed to make more sense...
Be careful when chopping the Magpul/Falcon rail sections to fit the MOE handguards. They fit as is, but the alignment of the rail screw holes, the size/orientation of the screw backer plates (the nut) for the rail screw, and the handguard slots limits the positioning of them. If you do not cut them, you only have about an inch of adjustment forward and back on the handguard. Maybe cutting them would be more versatile....

Eric
2 May 2009, 18:16
I'll have to admit that I was slow to warm up to the MOE handguards. However, now that I have a set in hand, specifically in FDE, I really do like them. Although most of my gear has always been in standard black (it's a cop thing) I found it necessary to order more Magpul FDE goodies from Brownells. On backorder now are a MOE grip, CTR stock and a few Pmags. The MBUS wasn't an available item yet, but will eventually be added. It looks like the final product will be very similar to the 103M 95G carbine.

rob_s
3 May 2009, 05:23
Did you find the MOE handguards at Brownells?

Eric
3 May 2009, 14:43
Unfortunately they don't stock them, which is odd since they list the MOE grip and stock.

mrwilson
4 May 2009, 06:24
Call them with the manufacturers part number and they will let you order them. Same for the MBUS, 7.62 pmags and others. They're probably not on the web site yet because of spotty availability or large back order list.

rob_s
4 May 2009, 06:47
They're probably not on the web site yet because of spotty availability or large back order list.

That's what I always assumed.

At the normal retail price of the MOE handguards, I'd buy a set if they popped up at another retailer too though. The UBR, on the other hand, is something I'm still holding out to find at Brownells because the discount makes it worthwhile.

mrwilson
5 May 2009, 05:28
I ended up just buying them from the Magpul site.

Eric
18 May 2009, 22:22
The grip fit unusually tight and required a slight mod, but the handguard and stock dropped right into place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Magpul/IMG_64171.jpg

puffy93
15 June 2009, 17:38
So do they only work with standard FSB's or will they work with flip up FSB's?

spamsammich
15 June 2009, 18:34
You need the hand guard end cap to run these.

Spooky130
27 June 2009, 08:07
I can't wait for MagPul to release a mid-length set. I just got a BCM mid-length upper and a matching BCM lower - I have a full FDE MagPul MOE kit (MOE stock, grip, rear BUIS, P-Mag) for the gun besides the handguards. Come on MagPul!!! Release a mid-length set!

Spooky

rob_s
27 June 2009, 08:30
I'd like the midlength as well.

Mithra
19 August 2009, 10:15
I also need one for my midlength. Magpul you're our only hope...

fastfr8r
20 August 2009, 22:21
Has anyone actually been able to find these lately? I ordered a set of FDE from Magpul (as everyone else doesn't seem to have them in stock) on June 1st, received a notice they were back ordered, and received a recent email to the effect that they have no idea when they may be available. Anyone know where I may find a set of FDE handguards?

rob_s
21 August 2009, 02:55
fast, no idea. I've been hunting a set of foliage green myself. I'll find them in the morning, put them in my shopping cart to buy that night, and when I get home they're sold out.

Brownells seems to get them in with some regularity, FWIW.

fastfr8r
21 August 2009, 08:35
Good thought, Rob, but I don't believe they carry FDE... :confused:

federalist22
22 August 2009, 18:32
Rob,

I think Rainier has the MOE handguards in Foliage Green, at least according to their website they do.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1219

pjenk63
13 October 2009, 10:43
I've posted this in a couple of other places but I just can't help the fact that this picture makes me smile. I fired the rifle with the MOE hand guards installed for the first time today and I absolutely love them. The level of comfort they provide is way beyond the stock guards and they just look cool. While I like the fact that they partially wrap around the gas block I am also concerned about this design element. If this was a battle rifle I could see that portion of the guard getting snagged on random things and possibly ripped off. I’d like to see Magpul either beef the tabs up, round them off more at the bottom or even eliminate them. Other than that, I see these ending up on any rifle I don’t need a free floating rail on.

http://members.cox.net/murphyt1az/weapons/100_1775.jpg

I may be a little late on this, but I wanted to know what gas block that is and where you got it and about how much if you remember, thanks. [:D]

voncoz
18 November 2009, 05:26
More photos for the collection. I've really warmed up to the MOE. Kind of like them. Originally I thought they were ugly..

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn14/Ryo_Ohki2/IMG_2137mod.jpg

How is that maginfier working for you? Does it have clear optics?

Ryo
20 November 2009, 01:33
It works good when I use it. Typically I don't unless I'm trying to shoot farther out.

I have both the Eotech and Aimpoint version. Photo was taken when I only had the Eotech version.

Quentin
21 January 2011, 14:08
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but do the MOE handguards fit triangular endcaps like ArmaLite uses on their midlengths? I see from the pictures that they should fit round endcaps.

If anyone has tried it I'd appreciate the information.

CaptainDooley
21 January 2011, 14:17
I'll have to check when I get home, but I thought BCM uses triangular as well. If that's true, then yes, because I have them on my BCM right now.

GriffonSec
21 January 2011, 14:39
MOE midlength fit the Armalite middy endcaps. Just put a set on my old one to sell it. I *believe* that's how most are setup, and Magpul designed it that way for triangle end caps.

Quentin
21 January 2011, 14:50
Thanks guys...

I noticed that stock plastic handguards that fit my ArmaLite midlength's triangular endcaps don't fit my Daniel Defense middy's round endcaps so that's why I wondered about the MOEs.

sdoperator
5 May 2011, 18:06
Thanks guys...

I noticed that stock plastic handguards that fit my ArmaLite midlength's triangular endcaps don't fit my Daniel Defense middy's round endcaps so that's why I wondered about the MOEs.

This is a really old thread....but I can't just sit by and watch an important question go unanswered.

The MOE Handguards (all 3) fit both triangular and round caps. I believe it even says this on their website.

If in any case I'm even partially wrong, at the very least, I'm 100% positive that the middy fits BCM's triangular cap...which I believe was the original question here...since I just put one on last night :)