PDA

View Full Version : Custom build + piston conversion

Secret
23 September 2010, 21:14
Hey whats up guys, my first post here and i wanted some adivce.

Ive had my eye on the LWRC M6A2, read a lot of great things about them

But my other question is, should i build a custom AR with a retro fit piston kit? like an adams arms piston system, or go with the LWRC

Stickman
24 September 2010, 09:06
If you already had a weapon setup that you liked, I would recommend a drop in system. If you are looking to pick up a new upper or complete weapon, I would go with a factory system. In the event there were any issues, this would have you covered.

The LMT pistons are another one to take a look at.

AR-10
24 September 2010, 09:07
Welcome to the forum!

I have very limited experience with short-stroke pistons on the AR platform but I can tell you one thing - if I were in the market for a piston gun and I could afford an LWRC upper, I wouldn't even be considering a drop-in kit or a conversion.

Paulo_Santos
24 September 2010, 09:31
Both the LWRC and the AA Piston conversions are both top notch, along with the LMT. If LWRC doesn't have a specific setup that you like, then I get a custom with the AA Piston. Definitely check out the LMT also. I have over 10k through mine without any problems

Hatter
24 September 2010, 10:45
My current go to baby is a piston LMT. I can't comment on the LWRC or make a comparison but the Defender is rock solid and eats any ammo I feed it. And it does so consistently.

Secret
24 September 2010, 14:43
I was actually contemplating whether to add the LMT to my original post, but backed off haha. But yea sounds like the LMT has some HIGH reps. Ill dig deeper into them!
Thanks for your replies!

John Hwang
24 September 2010, 23:56
Also, worth looking at is the Adams Piston uppers. They are a really good value.

Secret
25 September 2010, 18:35
I decided on a robinson arms XCR lol

Secret
26 September 2010, 23:01
nevermind, the pof 415

Paulo_Santos
27 September 2010, 05:19
LOL. Lots of good choices out there.

dshea19
27 September 2010, 07:54
When it comes to piston guns, I would go with something that was designed to run as a piston gun. The 416 is not the same as a "piston" AR. It is more like an AR with modified G36 internals.

The AR wasn't really designed with a piston in mind. That doesn't mean that there can't be good conversions out there, but parts commonality between these systems will be low at best. I would leave the AR as a DI platform. It is rugged and dependable and easy to get parts for.

For piston systems, my personal opinion is to go with weapons that were designed to run piston from the beginning. SCAR, ACR, XCR (which you chose) and just realize that when it comes to spare parts, you have to live with limited sources.

Paulo_Santos
27 September 2010, 08:43
When it comes to piston guns, I would go with something that was designed to run as a piston gun. The 416 is not the same as a "piston" AR. It is more like an AR with modified G36 internals.

The AR wasn't really designed with a piston in mind. That doesn't mean that there can't be good conversions out there, but parts commonality between these systems will be low at best. I would leave the AR as a DI platform. It is rugged and dependable and easy to get parts for.

For piston systems, my personal opinion is to go with weapons that were designed to run piston from the beginning. SCAR, ACR, XCR (which you chose) and just realize that when it comes to spare parts, you have to live with limited sources.

I will respectfully disagree with anyone that says that a Piston System for an AR is not a good idea because the AR was not designed on a Piston. That may have been accurate when piston systems first came out, but the Piston AR's have evolved, just like the AR has evolved. Most Piston 1-piece carriers are interchangeable. So all you have to do is buy an extra bolt, piston, and rod, and you have all the extra parts you need.

It just goes to show how adaptable the AR is. The AR wasn't designed around Free-Float Handguards, picattiny rails, flat top uppers, optics, etc.

Secret
27 September 2010, 12:46
I will respectfully disagree with anyone that says that a Piston System for an AR is not a good idea because the AR was not designed on a Piston. That may have been accurate when piston systems first came out, but the Piston AR's have evolved, just like the AR has evolved. Most Piston 1-piece carriers are interchangeable. So all you have to do is buy an extra bolt, piston, and rod, and you have all the extra parts you need.

It just goes to show how adaptable the AR is. The AR wasn't designed around Free-Float Handguards, picattiny rails, flat top uppers, optics, etc.

ar-15, theyre barbies for men.

But in all honesty, im looking for an accurate piston up to 400. Or can any piston gun be accurate up to 400yards with optics?

Paulo_Santos
27 September 2010, 13:17
ar-15, theyre barbies for men.

But in all honesty, im looking for an accurate piston up to 400. Or can any piston gun be accurate up to 400yards with optics?

I can only speak for the LMT Piston and I can honestly say that I see no difference in accuracy from Piston to DI for practical accuracy. I'm sure for Benchrest accuracy, there may be a minute difference, but I shot several different bullets into 1-1.5 MOA at 100 yards using 10 round shot groups. I've heard similar reports with other LMT and other Piston AR's. If my barrel was Stainless Steel, I think it would be even more accurate.

Secret
27 September 2010, 14:14
I can only speak for the LMT Piston and I can honestly say that I see no difference in accuracy from Piston to DI for practical accuracy. I'm sure for Benchrest accuracy, there may be a minute difference, but I shot several different bullets into 1-1.5 MOA at 100 yards using 10 round shot groups. I've heard similar reports with other LMT and other Piston AR's. If my barrel was Stainless Steel, I think it would be even more accurate.

Mhm sounds good. I dont really like the predator railings on the 415, but i hear the barrels on them are amazing.Thats why im swaying to the 415 instead of the lmt

TehLlama
27 September 2010, 16:20
The barrel material and quality, trigger + puller, as well as ammunition (shooter, ammo, trigger, barrel in that order) will still play a much larger role, there isn't anything inaccurate about pistons.

A big advantage offered by the MRP-P is the lower profile upper receiver, the Rock Creek barrels in them are great units, and then there's the ability to have two barrels (one 18" SS, and a shorter one). The details on the LMT are extremely appealing (QD cups, handguard profile, SOPMOD stock).

There's always the non-piston option...