PDA

View Full Version : DBMG MRP conversion?

bullet
24 September 2010, 08:00
I would like to get a barrel converted to the MRP platform by DBMG. what be your first choice in barrels to convert?

TCBA_Joe
24 September 2010, 08:37
For an aftermarket bbl I'd go with a noveske or daniels defense. Unless you're looking for a match bbl.

Stickman
24 September 2010, 09:04
I would like to get a barrel converted to the MRP platform by DBMG. what be your first choice in barrels to convert?

Bullet,

Without knowing what type of barrel you are looking for, its hard for me to really give you an answer. Recommendations for a long heavy SS barrel won't help you much if you are looking for something light weight to run and gun with.

Give us a ballpark concept of what you are looking for (or looking to do), and we should be able to give you some solid recommendations.

Paulo_Santos
24 September 2010, 09:27
I thought long and hard about getting a barrel converted, but for the 5.56, LMT has pretty much every barrel that I could possibly want. The LMT SS barrels use Krieger blanks, so how much better can you get even with a Noveske? Same thing with the chrome lined barrels. Where I think the conversions will be best is with the other calibers such as 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel.

bullet
24 September 2010, 11:53
I am not a fan of the MRP barrel profiles, to heavy for me. I would like something along the lines of m4 contour?

Stickman
24 September 2010, 14:48
The current cropping of CHF (Cold Hammer Forged) barrels would be worth a good look. In that group, Centurion Arms, Noveske, Daniel Defense, and Bravo Company would be all worth a look.

I just went with a Centurion Arms 12.5" CHF barrel for my latest build, and have been very happy with my Noveske and BCM CHF barrels as well. I have no personal experience with the DD versions.

Paulo_Santos
24 September 2010, 16:55
I am not a fan of the MRP barrel profiles, to heavy for me. I would like something along the lines of m4 contour?

You can always send one of the LMT barrels to ADCO or any Smith and have them reprofile it. Probably still cheaper to do.

Stickman
24 September 2010, 17:58
You can always send one of the LMT barrels to ADCO or any Smith and have them reprofile it. Probably still cheaper to do.

Thats a pretty good point.

bullet
25 September 2010, 11:27
I thought that reprofilling or fluting and dimpling a barrel that is not cut rifled ruined the accuracy?

Paulo_Santos
25 September 2010, 17:08
I thought that reprofilling or fluting and dimpling a barrel that is not cut rifled ruined the accuracy?

I never heard of that and I've had barrels reprofiled before.

In theory, a skinnier barrel is/should be lighter than a heavier barrel, but unless you are looking for benchrest accuracy. It will cost around $95 to reprofile the whole barrel and paint it at ADCO. If you want to make it lighter, I'd definitely lighten the barrel under the handguard and definitely forward of the gas block.

TehLlama
25 September 2010, 18:28
Profile reduction and/or dimpling/fluting is definitely an option, although this type of conversion makes a lot of sense for a CHF lightweight system into an MRP.

On a benchrest gun fluting can cause accuracy issues as the barrel heats, yes, but if you're running an MRP as a benchrest unit then weight isn't a concern - leave the barrel as-is. If you need to have a spare barrel for it that better fits running-and-gunning then this starts to make loads of sense.

lmtrocks
27 September 2010, 22:16
I'd do it in 6.5 Grendel in a heartbeat. If you do so ask them how much it would be and post it up----I've been itching for a MRP in 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39---heck LMT even made some bolts for x39 shooters. A couple larue mounts for my Aimpoint and my Grendel scope and I could make my life a little simpler :)

Paulo_Santos
28 September 2010, 02:04
I'd do it in 6.5 Grendel in a heartbeat. If you do so ask them how much it would be and post it up----I've been itching for a MRP in 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39---heck LMT even made some bolts for x39 shooters. A couple larue mounts for my Aimpoint and my Grendel scope and I could make my life a little simpler :)

Costs $150 to convert any barrel.

bullet
24 March 2011, 18:41
Any feed back? have read on other sites nothing but good things