PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engrave after Gun Kote

EODcrawler
29 September 2010, 03:23
Hey guys,

I'm new to building ARs and had a question. I plan on getting my lower coated in FDE Gun Kote from Rainier when I get it but will I be able to get a design laser engraved on the mag well after it's coated? Also, will I have to get it engraved with all of the SBR markings before it's coated. I've tried to find an answer on the internet with no luck.

Stickman
29 September 2010, 08:54
You should be able to get it engraved after the coating, but I believe it has to be a certain depth according to BATF, so make sure your engraver knows. It takes awhile to send in the paperwork, so you can get it engraved while you are waiting for it to return.

Quick coated VIS picture.....

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20V/868W1095-1024-Stick.jpg

todd.k
29 September 2010, 09:13
I'd get it engraved first, it will look better with paint over the engraving.

EODcrawler
29 September 2010, 09:25
I'm tracking to get the SBR engravings first, but also the pic on the mag well? I know it would be easier to get them done at the same time but I want the pic to stand out. I'm going to try and get the SBR engraving done on the bottom of the trigger guard (billet lower) and would like for that to be covered by the coating. Will normal laser engravings go just as deep as ones needed for SBR requirements? Just curious. This will be my first build and I want it done right the first time. I hate having to get things redone because it was messed up from the beginning. If it can't happen the way I want, then it can't happen. Just trying to get as much info as I can before I start with anything.

Stickman
29 September 2010, 11:41
I'd get it engraved first, it will look better with paint over the engraving.

Will laser engraving burn deep enough to coat over the top? Or is regular engraving a better option?

EODcrawler
29 September 2010, 11:50
That's kinda what I'm thinking. Get the SBR stuff engraved before coating and then get the design I want laser engraved after. I just can't find any info on it. Also on a side note, how much does the "builder" of an SBR actually have to build? I mean if I get Rainier's information on my lower, how much of the lower / upper / or entire weapon do they have to build? How much can I do?

Hatter
29 September 2010, 14:00
My understanding is that you'll be the one to assemble the lower receiver to the upper receiver which means that you'll be the "builder". Therefore the engraving will need to have YOUR information on it. I plan to build an SBR with a POF billet lower that I just purchased. Depending on the numbers/cost I may buy a Rainier complete upper and assemble the lower with what I want. Still trying to figure that out. If you work with a good FFL to facilitate the Form 4 they should be able to help you with the engraving information.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Still learning as well.

Hmac
29 September 2010, 15:08
That's kinda what I'm thinking. Get the SBR stuff engraved before coating and then get the design I want laser engraved after. I just can't find any info on it. Also on a side note, how much does the "builder" of an SBR actually have to build? I mean if I get Rainier's information on my lower, how much of the lower / upper / or entire weapon do they have to build? How much can I do?

Builder, or "maker" as ATF calls it, is the one who puts the short-barrel upper on the lower. You can assemble the upper and/or the lower from parts, or you can buy both of them (separately) as completed units. Just don't have both the SBR upper and any lower in your possession at the same time or you would technically be in what the ATF calls "constructive possession" which is a felony. I've never heard of anyone being charged or convicted of that, but it is against the law.

It's irrelevant whose roll mark and serial number is on the lower. They didn't "make" the SBR, you did, and as such you have to engrave it with your name and location too.

Note that you do have the option of buying a completed SBR from the mfgr, in which case their engraving is sufficient because you aren't the "maker", they are. In that case, you would buy it to be sent to your FFL and send in a Form 4. Your FFL would need to keep it until the Form 4 approves him to "transfer" it to you.

oregonshooter
29 September 2010, 16:04
I didn't see the ATF requirement in this thread so here it is....

1/16" tall letters with makers NAME / CITY / STATE that is .003" deep. Most laser engraving does not meet this requirement.

EODcrawler
29 September 2010, 23:54
Thanks Hmac. That's exactly what I needed to know about the building of an SBR. Now if I can figure out the coating and engraving of the pic I will good to go and just about ready to start.

apexcncshop
6 October 2010, 18:54
Get the SBR info cut engraved before coating, then laser the design. We have had our logo laser engraved into Cerakoted and Gunkoted handguard tubes and it looks fine.

Hmac
7 October 2010, 14:46
Both Orion Arms and Ident Marking are happy to talk to you on the phone. Question about laser engraving, coating etc would likely be more accurately address to them rather than here, and I'd encourage you to give them a call and get your questions answered.