PDA

View Full Version : Barrel vs ammo

Craig
29 September 2010, 19:12
I've been doing some reading from some previous posts and have noticed a couple of comments made about the bullet weight and barrel twist rate.

My Stag 15 is a carbine with 16" chrome lined barrel with a 1:9 twist.

So here's a couple questions I want to ask to get some clarification about using heavier bullet weights.

1) Will shooting 75grain ammo thru my 1:9 twist barrel be damaging to the barrel?

I've read a few posts that led me to think that shooting a 70+ grain bullet thru a 1:9 twist could compromise the barrel.

2) Is there any maximum weight bullet that can be used thru a 1:9 twist?

I'm not looking to shoot heavier grain bullets regularly, but want to make sure that if I do put a couple hundred rounds thru it some time that I won't be putting my barrel at risk.

Thanks guys!

-Craig

Stickman
29 September 2010, 19:44
No, it will not damage your barrel.

Anything about 68 grain will probably not stabilize at long distance, but you wouldn't have any problems shooting people in your house with it.

Magnous
29 September 2010, 20:49
If 68 grains is about the heaviest a 1:9 barrel will stabilize, what are the max weights for 1:8 and 1:7 barrels?

Secret
29 September 2010, 22:42
If 68 grains is about the heaviest a 1:9 barrel will stabilize, what are the max weights for 1:8 and 1:7 barrels?

in the 70's. Theres a thread about it somewhere on this board... i cant find it though :confused:

Paulo_Santos
29 September 2010, 23:53
Some 1:9" twist will stabilize the 75/77 GR, some don't. Some 1:9" barrels are actually 1:8.5" twist while others are 1:9"-1:9.5" teist. You have to try it in your barrel to see if it will.

Generally: The 1:9" twist will stabilize up to 73 GR. The 1:8" twist will stabilize up to 80 GR bullets. The 1:7" twist will stabilize up to the 90 GR bullets.

Even if it doesn't stabilize, it won't damage your barrel.