PDA

View Full Version : First AR

jakeman
4 October 2010, 15:31
Hi All,

New guy here who has been looking over "other AR sites" and then I came across weapon evolution. I must say this site blows them all away. A lot less BS and a lot more actual discussions about AR's. I'm posting because I recently just ordered my first AR from Spikes. It's a mid-length and I found out it just shipped today, man I am stoked. So for now I'll just read through the various threads and stickys and learn as much as I can.

Keep up the good work...

Quib
4 October 2010, 15:58
Welcome Jakeman!

Paulo_Santos
4 October 2010, 16:21
Nice choice.

bcammons
4 October 2010, 16:53
you should be very happy with the spikes. I have the ML Spikes and love it more than any other AR I had owned.
Seems to eat anything I feed it.
I would say just get good mags to feed it with. C-Product SS mags and Magpul PMags have worked great for me.

Crusade
7 October 2010, 09:45
Good choice, I have built 2 ar's from spikes lower's, buffers, receiver extensions, ejection ports etc... All of which function flawlessly.

zero7one
7 October 2010, 16:10
I am currently using a Spike's upper for duty use and have put a lot of rounds down range with it. It is extremely well built and has not yet caused me any problems. Good choice!

skd_tactical
7 October 2010, 20:59
Welcome!!
I have three spikes lowers and his buffer. Works great. You made a good choice.

SOS

jakeman
10 October 2010, 09:00
Well took it out to the range today and put about 100 rounds through it and not one malfunction. Started out at 25 yards to zero in the iron sights with S&B 55 gr. Took about five four round groups to get in centered on the zeroing target. Then moved out to the 50 yard range and ran some Remington UMC through it. I was holding just above 6:00 and probably had about a 6" to 8" group. So far I am pretty impressed. I think the gun is doing it's part know I have to work on my part.

Next time out I want to zero in my red dot at 50 yards. Should I zero it centered in the scope or should I be zeroing it to the top of my front site post? Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks again...

Quib
10 October 2010, 09:15
Next time out I want to zero in my red dot at 50 yards. Should I zero it centered in the scope or should I be zeroing it to the top of my front site post? Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks again...

If you are currently running back-up sights, and they are now zeroed, to get you in close proximity to zero with your optic, you can adjust the dot to sit on top of the FSP when looking through the sights.

Once at the range, zero at 50m and you should need minimal adjustment to reach optic zero.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5067731749_b36da21e48_b.jpg

CLICKBANGBANG
10 October 2010, 09:25
What red dot are you using? How are you mounting it? Usually you zero the irons and red dot at 50 yards. Most quality red dot optics won't matter where in the glass the red dot sits, if the dot is on target (once it is sighted in) the weapon is aimed. It shouldn't be eye position sensitive.

Quib
10 October 2010, 09:32
And to add to the above, here is a thread covering the two types of co-witness: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2497-UNDERSTANDING-CO-WITNESS

jdavis1776
3 November 2010, 19:19
If you are zeroing your rifle, it is best to use one ammunition and not switch. Your point of impact will be different with two different manufacturers. It may be slight, but if you want it to be precise you should use the same ammo you will use routinely. As for the complete rifle itself. Good choice. A spikes lower is where I would have stopped with them. nothing against Spikes, they make very good buffers among other things. But there are better choices out there for the money you will spend with them.

TehLlama
4 November 2010, 20:37
If you are zeroing your rifle, it is best to use one ammunition and not switch. Your point of impact will be different with two different manufacturers. It may be slight, but if you want it to be precise you should use the same ammo you will use routinely. As for the complete rifle itself. Good choice. A spikes lower is where I would have stopped with them. nothing against Spikes, they make very good buffers among other things. But there are better choices out there for the money you will spend with them.

The onlky modification I'd make is that you'll want to make sure you have it zeroed for your 'go-time' ammunition.

You've got a good base - get both sighting systems zeroed at 50m and you'll be quite happy.

AR-10
5 November 2010, 09:31
Spike's is a great company and Tom is good people.

Welcome to the forum.