PDA

View Full Version : Lighter SBR upper options

m249saw
5 October 2010, 14:35
Currently have the following, and it just seems sooo heavy.

Lower:
Mega Billet Lower (know I picked up weight here but a moot point as its an SBR lower now)
CTR with Vltor tube

Upper:
Rainier Billet upper
LMT 10.5" barrel with FSB
Larue 7.0 Rail
Larue FUG
Gear Sector G2 mount and G2 light
Larue rear BUS
CompM2 with QRP mount

I figured SBRs to be light no so with this. Havent weighed it yet.

Thinking about starting over, maybe a 12.5 Kino with MOE midlengths (looks good in Sticks pics) or a BCM 11.5.

Thoughts?

Paulo_Santos
5 October 2010, 15:10
I don't see how you are going to make it much lighter than that. Is the LMT Barrel heavy? If it is, have it cut down.

TehLlama
5 October 2010, 17:57
Stick's advice on M4C was pretty good, my $0.02 is just meh.

I'd really consider starting over - the 11.5" BCM Lightweight unit (or 12.5" Lightweight from Daniel Defense or Centurion) would be my starting point - DD Lite, OmegaX or TROY Extreme Rail; X300 and DD Front Sight; RVG or AFG; Aimpoint T1 on DD Mount, and MBUS, TROY, or DD Rear sights.

Lancelot
6 October 2010, 16:52
Kino will be heavier due to the gas block and the FSB on the same barrel. The 11.5 light weight is probably the way to go if you want light. Either one with MOE handguards would be very light and handy. And you'd still have some mounting options for lights and such.

rob_s
6 October 2010, 18:00
Everything you have listed there has a lighter option that is either equal to it or even better than it. My suggestion:

Colt 6933
Shaved & Cut-down FSB for gas block
Troy VTAC 9.0 rail
DD front & rear fixed BUIS (or Troy folding if you prefer, or none at all)
Aimpoint H-1 in DD mount
MOE pistol grip
MOE stock
gapper
Surefire X300 mounted forward of front sight

this will be lighter than the same gun with full FSB, MOE handguards, and a way to mount the light (FSB mount or bolt-on rail).