PDA

View Full Version : Plum Crazy Firearms

Craig
8 October 2010, 13:40
I was at my local gun shop (bought an LMT buffer tube) and the AR15 armorer they have there was letting me play with a Plum Crazy C15 lower. It was entirely polymer, with the exception of the buffer tube and castle nut. He also told me they are fully warrantied for the life of the lower.

This gun shop started stocking a few of them after the armorer went up to Lake Havasu and participated in some testing. He told me he didn't notice any real difference in function after 500 rounds.

It got me thinking. My brother wants to build an AR, but wants to keep the price down (the entire lower was only $160). I thought this could be a way to do that so that he could spend more money on the upper and accesories that he wants.

Has anyone here had any experience with these lowers? I certainly don't want to mention them to him if they're less than a quality item. I do also follow the 'you get what you pay for' mentality.

Thanks guys!

-Craig

Fred_G
9 October 2010, 17:59
I have one, seems to work as advertised, and is supposed to have a lifetime warranty. I would be a little leary of using one on anything over 5.56, but that is just a feeling, not based in any way on facts. I plan on one day using mine with a complete .22 upper, for a fun little plinking gun.

They are LIGHT. Balance is odd on my 5.56, very off balance on my 6.8 upper. Not a criticism on them, but a heavy upper and that lightweight lower does not work for me. I have not shot mine with the 6.8 upper, but it works just fine with the 5.56. Nice close fit, very little 'slack' in the weapon.

I have only put 30 rounds of 5.56 through mine, but, no initial issues.

If it is for a range, plinking or hunting gun, I would not have a problem using one (except for the weight/balance thing). Sounds like a way to get him a functioning gun, and down the road, he can swap out the lower so he can get his next rabbit. Ah, I mean AR. ;)

Craig
9 October 2010, 21:43
Thanks for the reply, Fred_G. The AR he wants to build will be used for plinking only. He may put 1000 rounds a year through it at the most. Money is an issue for him. This would give him an inexpensive entry into getting his first AR. At the same time, I don't want to tell him about it and have him go buy one and have it fail shortly thereafter.

The armorer at the gun shop mentioned the lower has a lifetime warrantee as well. So, kind of a win-win...

If he gets one, I'll have to post how it performs...

Thanks again for the response!

-Craig

TehLlama
9 October 2010, 22:20
I'm quite tempted to pick up one of these to run with a .22lr converted upper - I think that would be a complete giggle stick.

Fred_G
10 October 2010, 09:53
Yep, that is why I got mine... 6.8 ammo is expensive, the .223 stuff is not too bad, but .22! That stuff is free compared to the other stuff.

wolf_walker
13 October 2010, 16:05
I'm glad I'm not the only panzy that enjoys .22's. :)
Another lower came home with me last night and it's high on my "what to do with this" list.

The balance thing, or lack of, was my first thought when I saw the poly lower. Be good for a SBR I imagine.
Pretty hard to argue with how cheap you can buy a decent steel lower now.

peabody
14 October 2010, 20:23
so far me and my neighbor has the plum crazy lowers'
i built a lightweight hunting rig' with a 20'' pencil barrel, and aluminm free floating handguard.
the trigger is actually very good, on both of our rifle's.
neighbor has shot several hundreds of rounds through his middy' and it works perfectly.
zero failures.
try ......... igotbrass@yahoo.com
he sells em for 139 dollars.

i really like my plum crazy lower.
peabody

peabody
14 October 2010, 20:26
oh !!! and by the way , as others have stated. our lowers fit nice n' snugg.. no play.
i've putt my dissy mid-length on this lower' and it sure is nice' my dissy is a trimmed down ADCO cmmg barrel'
me ? i'ed run any upper on mine.any caliber.

peabody

Fred_G
14 October 2010, 20:42
As far as caliber restrictions, I was told this would work great with the 6.8SPC. And it might just work like a chimp. I don't know. As I stated, I would not be comfortable using one on anything more than a 5.56. BUT, that is my feelings, no facts or any evidence why you should not. I have mine on my 5.56 upper now, just because it bugs me not to have complete rifles when I can. Next week I am ordering an aluminum stripped lower, will build that up in time, and my PlumbCrazy will eventually reside on a dedicated .22 AR upper.

I will say that the PlumbCrazy does have a nice tight fit on my 5.56 and 6.8 uppers.

Craig
15 October 2010, 10:30
Thanks for responding guys! My bro can't make up his mind. So, I'm gonna forward him this link and hopefully all of your input and experience with this lower will help him decide. He can't figure out if he wants a build or buy a factory rifle now...

wolf_walker
15 October 2010, 15:10
re: caliber restrictions. There isn't much stress on the lower really regardless is there? The bolts moves in the buffer tube, I'm assuming it does not bottom out while cycling but I never thought to check.
Everything else is dealt with in the upper, no? I guess maybe the shock of recoil, but it seems like that'd be spread out pretty well.