PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Gas Systems

zero7one
16 October 2010, 15:19
With the variance of different gas systems and lengths available for the AR-15 platform, I am curious what everyone prefers. You can select multiple options, but only select your #1 preferred gas system (Gas Impingement / Gas Piston) and your #1 preferred gas tube length (Carbine Length / Mid Length / Rifle Length). As always, the results will not show who voted for what. Thanks.

Stickman
16 October 2010, 15:50
Gas impingement midlength.

TripleBravo
16 October 2010, 17:25
Gas impingement midlength.

Yea...what Stick said!

AnimalMother556
16 October 2010, 17:53
Gas impingement. Gas system length is irrelevant to me if it is properly manufactured and assembled.

jetspeed8
17 October 2010, 06:52
Gas Impingement Mid length here as well.

Bob Reed
17 October 2010, 06:58
Direct Gas Impingement Rifle Length System, and my second choice is a Direct Gas Carbine Length System.

Hmac
17 October 2010, 07:20
Last round of qualification I used my Noveske 16" Light Recce mid-length (with BattleComp ). The rest of the guys were all shooting their issue Colt carbines. Passing the Noveske around, the comments were illuminating. Everything from "it has no recoil" to "what did you do to this rifle?" to one guy who accused me of trying to qualify with a .22 conversion kit. Absolutely sold on the the mid-length gas system.

tac40
17 October 2010, 07:54
gas impingement, carbine and mid-length. Carbine at work because it's a company gun and mid-length because I bought it and like it.
I have a rilfe length but never get a chnace to shoot it as much.

Aragorn
17 October 2010, 12:03
Chalk another for DI middy.

Dos Cylindros
17 October 2010, 12:29
Duty gun is a select fire Colt M-4 with carbine length DI gas. It shoots smooth, and is a great weapon. My personal carbine is a standard BCM 16" with DI mid length gas system. I really like the middy gas system, not only for the shootability, but for the longer handguards that are used by the system while maintaining the standard front sight base.

TehLlama
17 October 2010, 16:43
DI, though I have and love my Carbine, Middy, Intermediate, and Rifle length guns for various uses.

16" Intermediate with Battlecomp is scary fast back on target. Need to get my 16" Middy shortened to 14.7" - my friend gives me crap all the time for how girly the recoil is, but I can put five rounds on target in the time he can put a pair of .308 holes.

zero7one
17 October 2010, 18:30
I have received a lot better response with this poll that I thought that I would get. Keep the responses coming!

rob_s
18 October 2010, 03:30
I'm currently enjoying my mid-length DI guns (and am not a believer in the GP hype) so that's my own personal preference right now. I was a late adopter and non-believer for a long time, but have come to enjoy them since I made the switch.

I still think everyone's first should be a carbine-length, and that everyone should have a carbine-length in the safe either way.

ZH-330
18 October 2010, 03:54
Rob,
Just out of curiosity, why do you think everyone's first ar should be a carbine? I am getting ready to start my first build and am leaning towards the mid length, but would like to hear more about advantages/ disadvantages of the carbine length.

Paulo_Santos
18 October 2010, 05:23
I don't have too much of a preference. Just give me an AR that is setup/gassed properly and I'm happy. Don't care if it is DI or Piston either.

Eric
18 October 2010, 06:48
Gas Impingement Mid length as well. However, the current work blaster is a carbine. With that said, I don't fee at a disadvantage whatsoever with the carbine.

rob_s
18 October 2010, 10:34
Rob,
Just out of curiosity, why do you think everyone's first ar should be a carbine? I am getting ready to start my first build and am leaning towards the mid length, but would like to hear more about advantages/ disadvantages of the carbine length.

I think everyone should start with a 6920 (or now a 6720 from Clyde's) and start the learning process from there. I also think that, contrary to what may be perceived on the internet, the carbine length system still vastly outnumbers the mid-length and therefore offers a more likely source for cannibalizing spare parts, or purchasing spare parts, if necessary.

ZH-330
18 October 2010, 10:52
Fair enough! Do you think somebody just starting out would gain more from assembling at least the lower and purchasing a carbine length upper? Do you still recommend the 16'' barrel on a carbine length system? Thanks again! /Threadjack

rob_s
18 October 2010, 13:33
I suggest new buyers generally start with a complete factory gun. Comes with more/better support, allows the shooter to focus on shooting and less on mechanical issues, etc. I know all the arguments for building your first one and I don't buy into most of them. Nobody suggests that every teenager build their own car from scratch so I'm not sure why we suggest grown men build their first AR from scratch.

Some guys are into this stuff for the tech and the shooting is secondary, and for them I guess building comes first as it's the more interesting aspect. I'd rather get a functioning gun in someone's hands with the ability to get factory help if it stops functioning for some reason.

Quib
18 October 2010, 15:21
I believe if a person is mechanically inclined, has the proper special tooling required, the necessary tech/reference data required for assembly, and purchases quality parts backed by the manufacturer, that they can not only learn from the whole experience of building, but have a quality build without mechanical issues enabling them to focus on shooting.

Building your own allows you to be:

- The parts purchaser/Quality Control.
- The armorer/assembler.
- Quality Assurance

ZH-330
18 October 2010, 15:39
While I can see both points of view and understand the logic involved, I have to agree with Quib. I personally enjoy the technical aspects of assembling/ maintaining my own firearms as well as shooting. I hope to gain valuable knowledge of the ar platform from assembling the majority of my own boom stick. I am trusting in the knowledge of others to ensure the quality of the parts I plan to order as it would be unreasonable to expect that I would have a clue as to what works and what doesnt. I appreciate the insight though!

To the OP, I am glad this poll was created as I was wondering myself what was the popular platform/ standard for the modern ar.

Army Chief
18 October 2010, 17:10
GIML for me, as well. I don't really see a compelling piston benefit in a non-FA gun, and the mid-length configuration moderates the recoil pulse nicely, putting a bit less wear and tear on both the operator and the gun.

AC

reiswigt
18 October 2010, 21:37
Over the last two years I have gleaned so much information here. I have purchased/assembled much better choices with this sites help. My two current AR rifles are pistons. I am working on a dedicated .22 build. A 6.8 DI Mid-length is probably next. I am looking forward to having both DI and piston systems. Thanks again for the collective wisdom and willingness to help others.

rob_s
19 October 2010, 03:53
I believe if a person is mechanically inclined, has the proper special tooling required, the necessary tech/reference data required for assembly, and purchases quality parts backed by the manufacturer, that they can not only learn from the whole experience of building, but have a quality build without mechanical issues enabling them to focus on shooting.

Building your own allows you to be:

- The parts purchaser/Quality Control.
- The armorer/assembler.
- Quality Assurance

Yep. and IMHO it is still far better to get out of the gate with a quality complete firearm and get out there shooting than it is to muck around researching this and that with no frame of reference and no idea what makes one part better for a specific user beyond what they read on the interwebs.

The major fallacy with "build your own, you'll get exactly what you want" is that someone who is just starting out has no idea what they want or why.

FWIW, I myself wasted so much time with the "build your own" route. Truth is that at the time I was more interested in building a "cool" rifle and posting pictures to impress people on barfcom so it actually met with my requirements at the time. As soon as I started actually getting out and shooting I quickly realized how wrong almost every part of the gun was for me, and unfortunately for me I had made some expensive wrong discussions.

Colt 6920 or 6720, two cases of ammo, 20 magazines, and a training class. You will learn more, and more valuable information, than any amount of building a gun will teach and it will get the shooter off the internet doing research and out on the range shooting where the real lessons are learned and where decisions about parts & accessories should be made. and I bet it's cheaper in the long run too.

To come full circle, gas tube length is just one more thing that should be understood on the range and that no amount of research online can convey.

I know it's not a popular opinion and it's pretty off-topic for the thread so I've said my piece and will take my answer off the air. [BD]

Quib
19 October 2010, 04:55
.... pretty off-topic for the thread.....

This much I’ll agree with.

I’ve stated my side of the argument, as have you. And to preserve the thread and keep it on topic, I’ll leave it at that.

Quentin
20 October 2010, 16:24
Gas Impingement and Midlength for me. I researched months last year before buying my first AR and bought a middy upper to put on a stripped lower I built up. I must say I enjoyed the research and am doing it again now. Very educational and there's just something to This Is My Rifle... Sorry, drifting off topic.

Deaj
20 October 2010, 23:20
DI, carbine length gas system. There are more AR's in circulation with this configuration than any other. This would provide an advantage should parts related to the gas system be needed under the worst of circumstances.

Paulo_Santos
21 October 2010, 05:39
DI, carbine length gas system. There are more AR's in circulation with this configuration than any other. This would provide an advantage should parts related to the gas system be needed under the worst of circumstances.

Personally, that is one of my least concerns when selecting an AR. If something were to happen to the gas system, whether it is the gas tube or the piston rod, it will disable the AR from firing in semi-auto, but you can still manually charge it and have basically a bolt gun. Not ideal, but it will still shoot. Hopefully you will have a handgun to transition to. And it isn't like you are going to be in a fire fight and your gas tube breaks and you are going to have all of the tools and gear right there to change it out. I'd rather have an AR set-up the way I want and have spare parts for it. JMHO.