PDA

View Full Version : Folding Front Sight Base Overview

Stickman
18 October 2010, 12:53
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2669-Folding-Front-Sight-Bases&p=24491#post24491

I just completed an article for Military Times, and dropped the information in over here as well. There are a few different Folding Front Sight Bases (FFSB) that I would consider suitable for duty use, and those are ones that are shown in the above. I would also add the PRI, but I was unable to obtain a PRI for this article, so sometimes we just have to make do.

I don't think the upcoming weapons of the future will retain a large, fixed Front Sight Base (FSB). I also think its entirely possible that the Army will upgrade the M4 instead of going to a new weapon. With that in mind, I'll be writing up a series of articles showing possible upgrades that many of us in the LE, MIL and commercial sector are already aware of.

Thoughts about what else you would like to see? Comments about this one? Le me know what you think.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/folding-fsb/868W0995-1024-Stick.jpg

ZH-330
18 October 2010, 13:00
Stick,
I like the idea of folding front and rear sights. The uppers I have seen all have the standard m4 fsb. Is the fsb something that an armorer would have to remove as well as install the folding front sight?

Stickman
18 October 2010, 17:06
Yes, the standard FSB is removed, and the folding version is installed in its place.

dlee25
18 October 2010, 22:31
Nice write up. Just curious, whats your opinion on the Yankee Hill design? I have it on one of my middys and it has held up pretty well for me.

Paulo_Santos
19 October 2010, 06:38
Nice write up. Just curious, whats your opinion on the Yankee Hill design? I have it on one of my middys and it has held up pretty well for me.

I know a lot if guys that use them and they hold up very well. If you have any concerns, just get it pinned and they won't move at all. Those have to be pinned up on top instead of the bottom.

Stickman
19 October 2010, 07:24

My experiences are substantially different than Paulos. I would not ever own one, nor would I allow a friend to own one, nor would I want any LEO on my department or any other department to use one on their duty weapon. I have seen too many break, and I know of too many others that have loosened even after thread locker having been used. Being that these failures render the weapon inop, I am strongly against the YHM folding front sight base until it can be improved.

atlantaguns
19 October 2010, 10:53
Hey stick, whats your honest opinion of the wilson unit? If I were to double pin it, do you feel it could be a bombproof solution? I've decided between the wilson or the vltor. the vltor seems better protected against side blows to the folding part of the sight. does the wilson seem like it could take a hit from the side and not snap at the rotation point?

atlantaguns
19 October 2010, 10:59
I have been begging BCM and Daniel Defense to offer their lightweight barrels with these sights as factory options. Factory pinned folding sights on lightweight barrels with MOE handguards would be the heat. I dont know why they refuse.

Paulo_Santos
19 October 2010, 12:45
My experiences are substantially different than Paulos. I would not ever own one, nor would I allow a friend to own one, nor would I want any LEO on my department or any other department to use one on their duty weapon. I have seen too many break, and I know of too many others that have loosened even after thread locker having been used. Being that these failures render the weapon inop, I am strongly against the YHM folding front sight base until it can be improved.

I forgot to mention that most of the guys I know that have them all have theirs pinned. That is the only way I would recommend the YHM.

Stickman
19 October 2010, 13:44
Hey stick, whats your honest opinion of the wilson unit? If I were to double pin it, do you feel it could be a bombproof solution? I've decided between the wilson or the vltor. the vltor seems better protected against side blows to the folding part of the sight. does the wilson seem like it could take a hit from the side and not snap at the rotation point?

I would have no concerns using any of the ones in the article for duty use.

atlantaguns
19 October 2010, 15:19
I would have no concerns using any of the ones in the article for duty use.

cool. Stay with this topic. It needs to be discussed much more than it is.

gt_mule
24 October 2010, 06:33
Stick,

Is the GG&G not on your list because it isn't spring loaded?

Stickman
24 October 2010, 14:29
cool. Stay with this topic. It needs to be discussed much more than it is.

The next thing I'll be writing about is folding front sights. I think the possibility strongly exists that we will see a M4 upgrade program, and that the current rail will be discarded, and something like the DD M4A1 RIS II rail will be implemented. If this happens, there will be front folding sights used that mount to the RIS II rail. The other possibility is that something like the URX II will go into use, and that rail has a front sight built in.

Aragorn
24 October 2010, 15:16
If this happens, there will be front folding sights used that mount to the RIS II rail. The other possibility is that something like the URX II will go into use, and that rail has a front sight built in.

I would rather see that than a folding FSB, as I've never been too keen on the idea of grabbing a smoking hot gas block mounted sight. ESPECIALLY one that requires any sort of switch or mechanism to be manipulated. I understand the use of gloves, but that doesn't mean gloves will be/are always worn.

Not to mention all the advantages you gain by having a rail and sight system that extends beyond the gas block...

TripleBravo
25 October 2010, 20:34
Aragorn,

Do you think in a real world situation, where your optics have failed during a fire fight, the discomfort of grabbing a hot folded front sight to get back in the fight would even register in your brain?

I do agree that fine motor skills under extreme stress are not as reliable as gross ones. Engineering a device that will likely be deployed under stress should take this into account.

Aragorn
25 October 2010, 21:09
Aragorn,

Do you think in a real world situation, where your optics have failed during a fire fight, the discomfort of grabbing a hot folded front sight to get back in the fight would even register in your brain?

Not initially, but it might if you managed to sear off some flesh in the process. I'll admit that may be taking it a bit to the extreme end, but the next few days at least would have the potential to be very unpleasant due to even minor burns. I was merely stating that IMHO I think there are better options. If you're going with a folding BUIS, so much the better for it not to be hot or complicated. Or worse, both.

I do understand what you're saying though. Yes, if what I have is a folded gas block style sight and my optic goes down, I'll get that sucker up and just spend the next few days swearing.