PDA

View Full Version : Changing my LMT upper Rail configuration?

ej06rb
18 October 2010, 15:53
Hello, all this is my first post as I am usually just an observer taking in the vast amount of great info on this forum and thought you may be able to help me decide on what route to go regarding my current setup. I currently run a LMT upper with 16' barrel and an DD omega 7' rail for my duty weapon. I would like to get into a longer rail , so that I may run my FUG further forward then a 7' inch rail will allow and place my G2X pro light with a gear sector offset mount in front of that in the 9 o clock or 12 o clock spot. My department only allows certain brands to use as to why my choices are limited and why I've decided to stick with LMT as none of the other great choices you see on this forum are available to me. I can

1) send my upper out to RA and have them place a DD Lite Rail 10' and remove the FSB and replace it with a fixed or flip up front site on the rail although I would prefer the FSB it is not a choice in this configuration but that is not a deal breaker.

2)Sell the upper altogether and go with a LMT monolithic Rail platform (MRP)(CQB) which would provide me with more rail space and the monolithic rail, however I will never switch out barrels as designed and its the most costly, but yet and option.

3) Lastly have someone locally replace the omega with the DD lite 12 FSB which would leave the FSB in place and give me the rail space I need. Im not sure I want to go with a 12" rail for patrol duty purposes but it seems to be very popular as of late.

Any help in the decision process would be greatly appreciated .....

Paulo_Santos
18 October 2010, 16:10
Damn, you have 3 great options. If money isn't an issue, I'd recommend the MRP. I have the CQB MRP and when using the Magpul AFG, I wish I had the rifle length MRP.

ej06rb
18 October 2010, 16:25
Damn, you have 3 great options. If money isn't an issue, I'd recommend the MRP. I have the CQB MRP and when using the Magpul AFG, I wish I had the rifle length MRP.

Does the rifle length MRP offer more rail space than the CQB? Would there also be a noticeable weight difference between the MRP vs throwing on a DD lite 10' on my current upper?

Stickman
18 October 2010, 17:02
If it were mine, I would chop the FSB and throw a 12" rail on it. A 10" rail seems long until you get used to it, and you get less shadowing off the barrel with your light out farther. You might want to check out Centurion Arms for the new 2 piece FF rail they are releasing.

Check out the write up I did for Military Times, its got lots of info, and pictures of what the prototype rail looks like. Right now they are doing a pre-release sale.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/10/03/centurion-arms-c4-rail/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/centurion-arms-prototype-rail/868W0113-A-1024-Stick.jpg

Paulo_Santos
19 October 2010, 06:33
Does the rifle length MRP offer more rail space than the CQB? Would there also be a noticeable weight difference between the MRP vs throwing on a DD lite 10' on my current upper?

The rifle length MRP is 12", while the CQB MRP is 9". Hard to tell on the weight, but I'll bet the DD Lite rail will be slightly lighter, but the MRP is more solid and it has the built it sling attachment points.

ej06rb
19 October 2010, 10:09
If it were mine, I would chop the FSB and throw a 12" rail on it. A 10" rail seems long until you get used to it, and you get less shadowing off the barrel with your light out farther. You might want to check out Centurion Arms for the new 2 piece FF rail they are releasing.

Check out the write up I did for Military Times, its got lots of info, and pictures of what the prototype rail looks like. Right now they are doing a pre-release sale.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/10/03/centurion-arms-c4-rail/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/centurion-arms-prototype-rail/868W0113-A-1024-Stick.jpg

Stick,

Will these new Centurion rails offer any advantage over the DD rails rails ? I also think I would rather go with a one piece rail this time around as well?

ej06rb
19 October 2010, 10:11
Stick,

Will these new Centurion rails offer any advantage over the DD rails ?

Stickman
19 October 2010, 13:45
The immediate advantages that I can see would be cost and ease of installation. The QD sockets being built in are a bonus, but nothing that would really make or break a deal for me.

TehLlama
19 October 2010, 17:16
Stick - any shots of the rails that show the QD cups?

ej06rb
22 October 2010, 12:49
Thank you both for your suggestions. I ended up going with the LMT MRP CQB because it provides a mid gas system , QD sockets, and a more solid all around platform as you said.

Stickman
22 October 2010, 13:38
Stick - any shots of the rails that show the QD cups?

Nope, they aren't off the machines yet. I'll post shots as soon as I get them in my hands.

Paulo_Santos
22 October 2010, 17:49
Thank you both for your suggestions. I ended up going with the LMT MRP CQB because it provides a mid gas system , QD sockets, and a more solid all around platform as you said.

Great choice. You will love the MRP.