PDA

View Full Version : 20" Govt Profile Barrel - Where To Buy?

tpelle
23 October 2010, 14:58
I've got pretty much all of the parts to put together another AR15, and intend to build an A2. I have a 20" HBAR that I took off of my match rifle that I could use, but I'd like to build a rifle that's lighter in weight this time. This rifle would be used as a fun/plinker/HD rifle.

Where is a good place to buy a 20" Govt Profile barrel that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Quib
23 October 2010, 15:09
Perhaps Bravo Company?

Paulo_Santos
23 October 2010, 15:10
You can always get your HBAR reprofiled. It is cheaper. If not, check BCM, Bushmaster, or CMMG.

Quib
23 October 2010, 15:26
As Paulo said, re-profiling is an option. I went this route myself a few years ago, and had ADCO re-profile a 20" HBAR for a similar build.

tpelle
24 October 2010, 05:33
Thanks, guys.

I kind of like the idea of having by barrel re-profiled. I'll e-mail ADCO to see about pricing and how to get it done (As soon as my e-mail provider gets the system back up!).

Quib
24 October 2010, 05:38
If you want some pics of their work that was done to my HBAR, just let me know.

ETA: All the info needed is on their site. I just followed those instructions and had a quick turn around time with absolutely zero problems.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/

tpelle
24 October 2010, 17:47
Ahh, I see. Looks like $65.00 including reparkerizing. Sounds like a good deal.

So, Quib, I'm not sure whether I want a Government Profile or a Lightweight. As I'm not intending to mount a grenade launcher, of course, and would like to lighten the rifle up, I might consider a lightweight contour under the handguards. Would I be giving up any accuracy with a lightweight contour? I realize that I couldn't expect to "sling up" like I do with my match rifle. What would be the approximate weight difference?

Quib
24 October 2010, 17:57
I went with the A2 profile, lightened under the HG's. I experienced no affect on accuracy that I could notice.

As far as weight removed, I used to have the numbers written down here somewhere, but have since misplaced them. I want to say the weight was reduced by a good pound or more. The numbers might still be over in the ARFCOM archives, I posted the weight differences over there a couple times I believe.