PDA

View Full Version : Battle Comp vs. FSC 556 vs. Rainier XTC

BMR
27 October 2010, 21:14
I recently was given the opportunity to test out the Battle Comp muzzle device and compare it against the FSC 556 and the Rainier Arms XTC, two devices that I have put a number of rounds through.

I tested the comps on a bone stock BCM 16” Middy, DD Lite rail and Magpul accessories, all in all a very light gun. I elicited the help of a friend to watch the recoil of the gun and feel the amount of muzzle blast coming off the sides of the weapon.

The Rainier Arms XTC was the first comp to be checked. I happen to run one of these on my LMT duty gun and am quite happy with its performance both as a comp and flash hider. However I have been told that it is annoying to shoot next to me due to the muzzle blast that comes out of the large blast chamber. I received a first hand, or first face, experience with this while doing some rollover prone shooting in the mud. Anyone who shoots regularly on a range or in any type of close proximity environment know annoying and even distracting this can be. This day was no different; my cohort told me that of all the comps, the XTC produced the most side blast, I came to the same conclusion after standing next to the gun myself. The XTC did a great job of muzzle control as usual however, it came in a close second to the FSC556 allowed slightly less muzzle rise.

Up to date, the FSC556 was my favorite muzzle device. Those who have shot one know it does a great job of keeping the muzzle firmly planted as well as dissipating recoil. The only downside that I had found with this comp in the number of rounds I’ve put through it is the amount of blast coming from the sides of the devise. Unlike on the XTC, the FSC felt like it directed the blast greater at one particular angle, still however slightly annoying.

Lastly came the Battle Comp. I had shot one of these previously on a Colt Commando at a state course a few months back and felt it worked well for the particular weapon, I just wasn’t able to do an accurate comparison. The first few shots we only paid attention to the muzzle rise and felt recoil of the gun. I am happy to say that on the weapon I was shooting I noticed minimal recoil, to the point of not believing how well it did. Whereas the XTC and FSC were close in the amount of muzzle rise and recoil, the Battle Comp felt noticeably less. Rapid fire follow up shots were no problem which proved useful on the 300m steel targets. The side blast of the device felt significantly less as the blast seemed to be dissipated in any and all upward and side angles.

In the end, my cohort believed enough in this device to switch his multiple weapons over to it the next day. I can say I’ll be swinging up to Rainier for a little gunsmithing myself.

B

zero7one
27 October 2010, 21:20
Great review, especially for your first post. I too agree with your observation of using the XTC in the roll-over prone. Thank you for taking the time to write this up and welcome to WEVO.

Jerry R
29 October 2010, 07:40
Nicely done - thanks. And welcome aboard.

reiswigt
29 October 2010, 19:09
Thanks for the review. Did you want to do one on the FSC30 and BABC?

rob_s
30 October 2010, 02:17
I'm working on an article comparing several brake/hider combos. We're developing ways to empirically test muzzle climb, flash, and blast in ways that can be quantified and documented for comparison. The test rifle is essentially done and we are just working on the rest and platform to test from. We've already done some initial testing, and I can say that some of the results have been surprising, and counter to some of what I've read on the interweb.

UDT
30 October 2010, 06:05
Great review, and welcome to the forum.

Paulo_Santos
30 October 2010, 06:47
Welcome aboard. I think each one is better suited for different purposes. The Battle Comp is the better choice for tactical use, while the other two are great for 3-gun style shooting. I've never found the FSC556 too loud or obnoxious compared to other muzzle brakes in the past and I've tried a ton of them.

BMR
2 November 2010, 05:07
Thanks everyone.

Reiswigt.. I would do one for the 7.62 versions of these types of devices, however my Ar10 doesnt have a threaded barrel :-(

Rob_s... Ive been following your progress on that test through the 'ol Facebook and am excited to see what you come up with.