PDA

View Full Version : LaRue Index Clips?

HeavyDuty
31 October 2010, 09:03
I've been considering changing over to LaRue index clips on my Omega-equipped carbine. I can't say I dislike the currently mounted XTs but I'd like to at least investigate covers that are even lower profile.

From looking at pics, I suspect they do a better job at protecting against a hot rail than ladders. Correct?

Also, how securely do they mount? I've seen a few comments that they are not secure, has anyone run into issues?

Wondering Beard
31 October 2010, 10:28
Mine are quite secure and actually are a bit of a pain to remove.

As to heat, I couldn't tell you as they aren't where my hand goes.

Bushwacker4
31 October 2010, 11:16
Mine are quite secure and actually are a bit of a pain to remove.

As to heat, I couldn't tell you as they aren't where my hand goes.

Same here. I have Magpul XTM panels where I place my hand (at the 12, 9, 6, 3 o'clock positions). I use the LaRue Index Clips everywhere else. Mine lock in solid. I do use the LaRue Dillo tail to remove them. A flat head screwdriver works wonders, too. As for heat: I haven't noticed anything more or less than the ladders that they replaced (but then again, I haven't been looking for it, either).

Stickman
31 October 2010, 13:10
I put covers where I need protection, I put nothing in the places where I don't. While I don't see a personal need for them, I can understand that people like to build up their weapons the way that they like, and the clips are another way of doing it. If I had invested a large amount of money into injection molding equipment, I would start with a small item also. The more interesting question for me is what polymer item we will see next from Larue Tactical.

Wondering Beard
31 October 2010, 14:49
I always worked under the assumption that the whole rail needed some level of protection from being dropped, knocked about etc.., am I wrong on that?

LaRue has, off the top of my head, those clips and the FUG. I think those two were introduced quite a while ago and while I would be very interested in seeing what they may have next, I wonder if they are going to introduce anything.

HeavyDuty
31 October 2010, 19:14
IMO a carbine rail is small enough that I want the whole thing covered.

So they're no better at heat protection than ladders? I'll pass.

Thanks!

TehLlama
1 November 2010, 23:36
Also the UDE sets are a practical starting point for anybody looking to start doing RIT dyeing at home.

Wondering Beard
2 November 2010, 11:02
how do you mean?

Edited to add: What is RIT dyeing?

Rusty_ Shackleford
6 November 2010, 12:45
They are superior to ladders, very solid and low profile.

HeavyDuty
10 November 2010, 05:43
They are superior to ladders, very solid and low profile.

But do they isolate heat better than ladders? That's my main concern.

bigcoastie
10 November 2010, 06:32
I always worked under the assumption that the whole rail needed some level of protection from being dropped, knocked about etc.., am I wrong on that?

LaRue has, off the top of my head, those clips and the FUG. I think those two were introduced quite a while ago and while I would be very interested in seeing what they may have next, I wonder if they are going to introduce anything.

I'm pretty sure the FUG is Delrin that is actually machined, the clips are actually molded so they were a first for LT

Rusty_ Shackleford
10 November 2010, 12:30
I think they do a noticeable difference. My carbine I used to run with nothing but ladders and switched to all IC and I like them so much more. They cover a lot more surface area and are slightly raised so your hand is better protected and not touching any metal........

Rusty_ Shackleford
10 November 2010, 12:38
Here's a couple reference photo's to help illustrate the surface area and stand off differences between the two on the same rail.......

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/CanslerTacticalIMG_6762.jpg

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/Cansler_Tactical/IMG_9137-1.jpg

HeavyDuty
10 November 2010, 19:47
That helps a lot, Rusty - thanks! I think I need to break down and order a tin of these.

Rusty_ Shackleford
10 November 2010, 19:56
That helps a lot, Rusty - thanks! I think I need to break down and order a tin of these.

Anytime brother, glad I could help......

HeavyDuty
27 November 2010, 16:09
Well, not only did I end up ordering Index Clips for my Omega 7.0-equipped carbine, I went and ordered an entire LaRue UDE CTR kit. I'll know more after I shoot them for a few months, but my first impression is very favorable - they lock on tightly and seem like they will do a better job insulating from heat than do ladders. Plus, the in-hand feel is superb - I was starting to think of even the XTs as being pudgy, these feel just right with enough texture and contouring to provide a good gripping surface. I think these will work just fine!

HeavyDuty
18 December 2010, 10:09
Update: they're proving to be secure, and they definitely provide better isolation from the rail than do ladders. I like them!

Rusty_ Shackleford
19 December 2010, 05:43
Update: they're proving to be secure, and they definitely provide better isolation from the rail than do ladders. I like them!

I thought you would like them.......[:D]