PDA

View Full Version : Need Optic Help

HogKiller
31 October 2010, 18:07
I have a 16" RRA 5.56. I mainly use it for hog eradication at my ranch and I need an optic that will allow for fast target acquisition at CQB while still being able to shoot a hog or coyote at 150-200 yards. I would like to keep my budget under $900. I have ruled EOTech out because of the battery life and I don't like the reticle. I have also ruled out the Aimpoint M2 and Micro series because I don't like the 4 MOA reticle. I have narrowed it down to the Aimpoint Comp M4 because of the amazing battery life and it takes a AA battery and I also like the 2 MOA dot. If I get a Comp M4 I'm not going to get a magnifier because of the extra weight and I just dont think its necessary. The other optic I'm considering is the Trijicon Accupoint TR24G. I like the LaRue mount for it, the green triangle reticle, and the ability of 1-4 magnification in one optic without a magnifier. The only thing I'm worried about is that it won't be as fast as a RDS would be at CQB. Any suggestions will be helpful.

oregonshooter
31 October 2010, 18:48
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-1-4x24-riflescope-with-tmcq-mrad-reticle Another option.

the 1-4 will be the way to go though.

Sak007
31 October 2010, 19:14
I second the Vortex . I have 3 Sparc's & I'm planing on adding the Razor HD 5x20 for my MaTen . Another option Is the Millett 1x4 http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P9251.aspx I have their 4x16 and love it .

HogKiller
31 October 2010, 20:15
Thanks for the replies. How well can you see the reticle on the Viper at night and can you shoot with both eyes open with it? Also, can you put the Viper in a Larue mount?

Paulo_Santos
31 October 2010, 22:56
I'd check out the 1-4 Accupoint with the German Reticle or the EOTech XPS/EXPSwith the single dot without the ghost ring.

HogKiller
1 November 2010, 14:01
Yeah I like the Accupoint because it doesn't use batteries as opposed to the Vortex Viper. I like the size and 1 MOA dot of the EOTech XPS2-1. The only thing I'm worried about with the EOTech is the battery life (I like the idea of never having to turn an Aimpoint off), and I've heard of a lot of people having lots of problems with the EOTechs. Are people still having these problems with the newer models and which Accupoint reticle would be better for CQB, the German Reticle or the Green Triangle?

Paulo_Santos
1 November 2010, 16:21
Yeah I like the Accupoint because it doesn't use batteries as opposed to the Vortex Viper. I like the size and 1 MOA dot of the EOTech XPS2-1. The only thing I'm worried about with the EOTech is the battery life (I like the idea of never having to turn an Aimpoint off), and I've heard of a lot of people having lots of problems with the EOTechs. Are people still having these problems with the newer models and which Accupoint reticle would be better for CQB, the German Reticle or the Green Triangle?

The new XPS/EXPS models have fixed the problems. For CQB, the Green Triangle is faster, but the German is better for precision.

HogKiller
1 November 2010, 17:34
Ok well it looks like the EOTech XPS is another option. Right when I think I have it narrowed down to just 2 optics, people come up with 4 different optics I need to consider. I really like the Accupoint TR24G for close range and being able to shoot at medium range in one optic instead of an EOTech/magnifier or Aimpoint/magnifier. I saw in another thread somewhere, where a guy sent his Accupoint to a guy that installed a Cattail on his scope. Does anyone know what a cattail is and what it does?

Paulo_Santos
1 November 2010, 18:37

http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12754

HogKiller
1 November 2010, 18:54
Thanks, that was very helpful.

TehLlama
1 November 2010, 23:34
I have a CompM4, as well as a TR24R with one of Chris's excellent cattails. They each have impressive strong points, the triangle reticle is the way to go for the TR24 (green or red - try them in person and see what works for you).
As far as any variable optics that utilize zoom rings, the cattails are on my must-own list.

If the CompM4 is on the board, then be looking at an Aimpoint Micro H-1 as well - cheaper, can be paired with a great mount (DD for fixed, LT or ADM for QD)

Eric
2 November 2010, 05:22
I have also ruled out the Aimpoint M2 and Micro series because I don't like the 4 MOA reticle.
An often overlooked Aimpoint is the CompC 3 (http://www.aimpoint.com/products/aimpoint_product_lines/aimpoint_compc3). It is available in 2 or 4 MOA and has the 50,000 hr battery life. It is "only" rated submersible to 15 feet vs 80 feet on the M2/ML2, if that matters. The price-point on the C3 is substantially better than many of the other Aimpoint models.

HogKiller
2 November 2010, 21:04
Yeah I don't think I'm gonna be going scuba diving with my AR so that's not an issue. I'll consider the C3 over the M4 because of the price and I'll probably get the C3 before I get an EOTech XPS just because Aimpoint is better than EOTech. I'm really leaning towards an Accupoint TR24G w/ a cattail though. And I would love to get a Micro H-1; I love the size, weight, and mount but I just don't like the 4 MOA dot. I'll probably get one for my future SBR though.

Aragorn
2 November 2010, 21:43
I think you're reading too much into dot size. Having shot both, there is not a readily apparent difference between the two, unless you're seriously scrutinizing them side by side. I also seriously doubt that having a 4 MOA dot would hurt your accuracy. I was able to hit gongs at 200 yards with a 6 MOA dot... with an AK.

Even with an AR that could only shoot 2 or 2.5 MOA you would still be inside the larger dot.

All that said, I'd go with the Accupoint, green triangle, cat tail. That would give you a nice blend of speed and magnification. All battery free. The magnification would also be a good thing for when you need to discern between the hog 200 yards away, and the hog shaped stump next to it. I'd also recommend a Bobro mount.

HogKiller
3 November 2010, 05:19
I think I've got my mind made up on the Accupoint. Thank you Aragorn, I've also been debating whether I should get a LaRue or Bobro mount and I think I'm gonna go with the Bobro.

bigcoastie
3 November 2010, 10:38
I think I've got my mind made up on the Accupoint. Thank you Aragorn, I've also been debating whether I should get a LaRue or Bobro mount and I think I'm gonna go with the Bobro.

You won't be disappointed in either. I ran a TR24 in a Bobro and it really is a great combo, I just need an upper for it now since I sold my Noveske recently.

HogKiller
3 November 2010, 19:45
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I think I've made up my mind. More than likely, I'm gonna go with the Accupoint TR24G in a Bobro mount w/ a cattail. This will cost me about $1050 and I'm hoping I'll have enough money left over to start on my SBR build. Thanks for the help everyone.

TehLlama
4 November 2010, 20:52
I would agree that the dot size can be overthought (front sight post is apparently 11MOA wide from the rear sight - yet shooters can shoot well below that), but the Accupoint is in no way lacking for capability as a mid-range optic.
If your'e okay with it being a mediocre close range optic and a mediocre mid-long range optic, with a bit more weight but very flexible package, then I suspect you'll love the TR24T so much that you'll buy another.

If Hog and Coyote are what you're after, then the TR24 (or S&B Short Dot, Vortex Viper PST 1-4x) are the choices. The TR24 would still be the best one for hog, and while the S&B SD would be ideal for coyote+CQB use, the two grand price might dissuade you... and I still prefer the illumination of the TR24.

Mine rides in an LT104, and I couldn't be happier. Between the LT, Bobro, ADM, and GG&G - impossible to say one really stands out - if the Bobro works, go for that.

HogKiller
8 November 2010, 19:14
Is the S&B SD really worth the extra money? I think I might get one for a future build, but for this one I'm gonna go with the Accupoint. I found the TR24G on Primary Arms for $650 so I'll be saving a little over $100, which I'm very happy about.

Darkop
8 November 2010, 19:29
And just to throw you off a little. Look at American Defense mounts.

Until that day,
Darkop

TehLlama
8 November 2010, 21:38
The Short Dot is really another class of optic - but for the price of one I was able to buy an SR15 and outfit it with an aimpoint... As nice as the two I've gotten to play with are, the TR24 is a better short range optic (imo), with the ability to zoom for use at range, whereas the short dot is pretty much the price indifferent fully featured unit with scare good glass... the TR24 is fantastic that it competes at 1/4 of the price, you won't be disappointed.

HogKiller
9 November 2010, 09:14
Ok I've got my mind made up on the TR24 in a Bobro mount. Now it's time to start planning my SBR build. Thanks for the help everyone.

Pat H
12 January 2011, 15:12
While I like EoTech optics, I think that the distances you've listed would be well handled with a 3.5x optic, such as a Trijicon TA11. While the non-magnified optics will work, the 4x optics are well proven for decades of use on game at your specified distance. Red dot optics run out of steam at about 100 yards/meters. While I realize the OP may have already acquired an optic, I write this for others.