PDA

View Full Version : Can you please help the newby?

DarkNight
2 November 2010, 18:16
Hello all, first post here. Great site with lots of good info but I need a little guidance if you don't mind....

I am building my first AR in 204 Ruger. I have a POF 415 GIII lower that I'm mounting a DPMS Receiver Extension Tube A1/A2 stock (#489724 at MidwayUSA).

What I am unsure of is if my buffer, buffer spring, and buffer tube lock ring are the correct parts because they say "carbine" in the description. The buffer is #553144 at Midway, the spring is #210662 at Midway, and the lock ring is #718153 at Midway.

I thought the "carbine" descriptor referred to collapsible stock configurations. Can some of you more experienced AR guys please tell me if the parts I ordered are going to work in the standard length buffer tube?

I would greatly appreciate help with this!

Captains1911
2 November 2010, 18:39
That is a rifle (A1/A2) length receiver extension (buffer tube), so you will need a rifle length buffer and spring. You do not need the lock ring either as they are only used for carbine (collapsible stock) receiver extensions.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=191371

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=910805

Another option is to use a spacer in the back of your rifle length receiver extension that will allow you to use a carbine length buffer and spring. It basically just shortens the void inside the tube to that of a carbine length tube.

I am not familiar with ARs in the caliber you mention, but it may actually be beneficial for you to go with the spacer option because there are more buffer weight options in the carbine length than in the rifle length, and this may allow you to better optimize the cycling rate of your rifle. Somebody else may be able to add to this theory.

5pins
2 November 2010, 19:53
If you are using an A1/A2 receiver extension then you need a rifle buffer and spring.

DarkNight
3 November 2010, 05:10
Thanks for the help guys, the parts are on their way back to Midway.