PDA

View Full Version : LMT Piston Weapon System

John Hwang
7 February 2008, 10:45
We didn't get a chance to take pictures but we wanted to share some information with you.

The Piston system is based on the CQB MRP so if you know what one of those looks like, then you can easily picture what the piston MRP is going to look like. The piston MRP is carbine length and at this time no other lengths are planned or in the works. If you currently have a CQB MRP, there is a drop in conversion kit available as well. Like a barrel change on the current MRP system, you can swap out the piston system in a similar way. To have a complete MRP Piston System with Backup sights & all for under $2000, we have a winner!

Prices:
Complete Piston Weapon System: $1995 & $1895 LEO/MIL
CQB Defender Piston - 16" CL Barrel & BCG
SOPMOD Buttstock & Standard Trigger
30 Round Mag, Sling, Manual, Front & Rear Sight, Rail Panels & Torque Wrench

Upper Only: $1440.95 & $1369.35 LEO/MIL

Upgrade Kits: $672.80
Barrel w/Piston system & BCG

Stickman
7 February 2008, 13:27
Those prices are going to cause a lot of problems for guys trying to get into the piston game, as well as for some of those that already are.

I had really figured that LMT would bump up the price, but it looks like they are coming into the piston market a little late, but with a very strong offering.

SHIHAN
7 February 2008, 14:03
Any word on when they are going to be available? I didnt make it to SHOT, I had my tickets but the back wasnt going to let me do the long walks.
I know its carbine only but will it take their carbine stainless barrel as well?

SHIHAN
7 February 2008, 14:31
LMT just got back to me, for what you get with the LMT piston uppers and complete weapons they are going to be almost unbeatable.
It comes on the CQB MRP platform and the complete weapon is complete with both fron and rear sights.
It was a toss up between the SCAR and MASADA and now the LMT piston is in my decision making process for my next personal toy.

TigerStripe
7 February 2008, 15:30
Hmm...

TS

parabellum
7 February 2008, 15:37
This is GREAT news.

I was expecting at least $1600 for a complete piston upper.

A superior design that costs the same (or less) than the competition? My only question: where do I sign?

7 February 2008, 16:09
Man, oh man!:P

parabellum
7 February 2008, 16:44
I just noticed the complete rifle comes with the SOPMOD stock. Actually a very good deal.

Some other guys in the SSGPS AR game are selling complete rifles for $2000 with CTRs. The CTR is a cool looking stock and all, but its not in the same class as the SOPMOD

Plus you get a quick change barrel and a monolithic rail system.

I'm going to be getting a piston MRP upper for sure, but if you think about it the complete rifle is a very good buy.

I have a DI VIS upper and it is pretty damn cool. Sold me on the concept of a monolith. I've only handled the LMT DI MRP, but I liked it a lot. Excited for this new system.

NvrenufRR
7 February 2008, 17:05
This is the ticket I have been waiing for to acquire an MRP.
Put this on the list of goodies to acquire ...

TigerStripe
7 February 2008, 17:25
How do we know that it's superior?

TS

parabellum
7 February 2008, 18:08
I guess we don't KNOW. I should have worded it differently. Maybe "superior" wasn't a subjective enough term. I do like LMT's design tho. To me, it makes a lot of sense.

Sorry, I'll try to curb my enthusiasm for the new MRP, but its going to be difficult.

TigerStripe
7 February 2008, 19:21
I guess we don't KNOW. I should have worded it differently. Maybe "superior" wasn't a subjective enough term. I do like LMT's design tho. To me, it makes a lot of sense.

Sorry, I'll try to curb my enthusiasm for the new MRP, but its going to be difficult.

Sorry, I didn't mean to seem belligerent.

TS

John Hwang
7 February 2008, 19:52
We don't know if it's going to be superior but chances are they will be. We know LMT stuff works and works well. I can't imagine LMT releasing a piston system that is sub-par.

Stickman
7 February 2008, 20:03
Sorry, I didn't mean to seem belligerent.

TS

I don't think its a belligerent comment at all. Like John commented, at a certain point we need to look at the overall value of the product the company puts out. In my mind, LMT is like the Toyota of the firearm world.

Eric
7 February 2008, 21:34
LMT has a good track record and I'm sure they're going to be a solid player in the piston market. The consumer is going to have more and more choices.

TigerStripe
7 February 2008, 21:53
I wonder if they'll be in the 6.8 business too. (Piston that is) Stick, by Toyota you mean rugged and reliable... So many people have so many different ideas about car makers [:D]

TS

Stickman
8 February 2008, 08:09
I wonder if they'll be in the 6.8 business too. (Piston that is) Stick, by Toyota you mean rugged and reliable... So many people have so many different ideas about car makers [:D]

TS

Yes, I don't want rumors started about LMT being made in Japan.... [BD]

TigerStripe
8 February 2008, 17:53
So many temptations, so little money and so little time...

TS

SHIHAN
9 February 2008, 01:54
I just noticed the complete rifle comes with the SOPMOD stock. Actually a very good deal.

Some other guys in the SSGPS AR game are selling complete rifles for $2000 with CTRs. The CTR is a cool looking stock and all, but its not in the same class as the SOPMOD

Plus you get a quick change barrel and a monolithic rail system.

I'm going to be getting a piston MRP upper for sure, but if you think about it the complete rifle is a very good buy.

I have a DI VIS upper and it is pretty damn cool. Sold me on the concept of a monolith. I've only handled the LMT DI MRP, but I liked it a lot. Excited for this new system.

It also comes with front and rear BUIS.

John Hwang
9 February 2008, 09:38
The complete rifles do but the uppers won't from my understanding.

TigerStripe
28 February 2008, 23:23
Any more or new info on these???

TIA,

TS

John Hwang
28 February 2008, 23:52
Nothing new at this time. Just waiting until the release sometime in the summer.

TigerStripe
29 February 2008, 17:03
Nothing new at this time. Just waiting until the release sometime in the summer.

That's news to me. Thanks, John!

TS

tac40
30 March 2008, 19:59
Some pics I took at the SHOT show of the LMT piston system and upper

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/bshnt2015/IMG_2252.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/bshnt2015/IMG_2253.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/bshnt2015/IMG_2254.jpg

TigerStripe
31 March 2008, 17:32
I'm waiting for a review by someone who does actual reviews and not plugs for manufacturers... Like the guys here...

TS

8 July 2008, 19:54
Anything new?

TigerStripe
8 July 2008, 21:34
Anything new?

I was wondering the same thing...

TS

mat10x
9 July 2008, 10:11
new to ARs, interested in a piston system at some point.

looking at a Noveske Recce basic 16" or LMT standard 16". been reading tons on both, can't decide. they both sound great.

would anyone recommend juming into the MRP piston as a first AR?

why is it that LMT does not make a middy in their standard rifles or for the piston MRP?

in a 16" barrel should i be thinking middy or carbine? is the carbine better for a 14.5" barrel and middy for 16"? been reading on the carbine/middy debate as well. i figure if LMT is only making carbines...maybe middy is not necessary...?

this rifle would be for range, 3 gun, defense/SHTF.

thx.

TigerStripe
9 July 2008, 12:17
I'm a piston freak. The problem with piston AR's is that each company has it's own system that has piston parts that don't match other piston guns. LMT will probably be at the top of the piston market when they come out.

Having a middy is not a necessity in DI (regular) AR's and piston systems are completely different from piston AR's. There are plenty of good DI AR's out there.

TS

Cohibra45
27 July 2008, 13:04
John,

Have you or anyone else heard any more news from LMT about shipping dates? Just curious...

Kelly

Pistonhead
2 August 2008, 15:07
Looks pretty good to me, so far.[pop]

Stickman
2 August 2008, 15:22
John,

Have you or anyone else heard any more news from LMT about shipping dates? Just curious...

Kelly

John may have better intel, but I thought we were into the time frame where LMT was going to have released some of these.

Cohibra45
3 August 2008, 07:07
John may have better intel, but I thought we were into the time frame where LMT was going to have released some of these.

Stick,

I spoke with Ryan at LMT Friday afternoon and he told me that they were starting shipping rifles Monday. Maybe John can call and confirm this tomorrow???

Really looking forward to receiving my piston LMT!!!

Kelly

TigerStripe
3 August 2008, 13:36
Man, that's tempting....

TS

John Hwang
4 August 2008, 10:38
LMT has told me several ship dates that were all wrong (like all MFGs) So, until I get the parts in my hand, I won't speculate anything but they say we are really close.

Cohibra45
22 August 2008, 11:24
Looks like they are shipping!!!![:D][:D][:D]

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=574360

I can't wait to get the call from my dealer/gunsmith!!!

Kelly

Rich776
22 August 2008, 13:43
That picture shows the new sopmod stock with the QD sling attachment. Any dealers have that in stock?

TigerStripe
22 August 2008, 15:00
This may or may not be an ACR killer for me....

TS

jeffy
22 August 2008, 15:28
The one on ARF looks sweet. BUT for some reason the gas block is so damn bulky looking to me. Needs flip-up BUIS as well.

I think if I get another AR, I might go with the LMT MRP CQB like that though. ACR's too far away to even consider. LMT's now which will make it popular.

TigerStripe
22 August 2008, 16:42
I've had an ACR fund since it was the '06-'07 Masada....

TS

Cohibra45
28 August 2008, 18:17
Looks like they are trickling in!!! A couple people over on Arfcom have gotten theirs!!! Hopefully, very soon you will be getting the shout from me that mine is in!!![:D][:D][:D]

Rich776
29 August 2008, 14:42
I have the LMT MRP CQB. I'm waiting for the gas piston conversion kit to start going on sale!

Cohibra45
30 August 2008, 05:47
Am I the only one here that has a LMT piston on order??? [crazy]

Show us your pictures when you get yours!!! Stick and John???

Thanks,

Kelly

TigerStripe
30 August 2008, 16:56
I don't have one on order. I'm holding out for as long as I can to see if I can get my hands on an ACR.

TS

Stickman
30 August 2008, 19:02
Am I the only one here that has a LMT piston on order??? [crazy]

Show us your pictures when you get yours!!! Stick and John???

Thanks,

Kelly

I won't be getting one, I've got nothing against it, and I like LMT, but I've got no interest in another piston AR15 at this point.

jeffy
30 August 2008, 19:49
I won't be getting one, I've got nothing against it, and I like LMT, but I've got no interest in another piston AR15 at this point.

Curious to know what your other piston AR is. [pop]

Cold Zero
1 September 2008, 03:37
Does the bolt carrier on the LMT Gas Piston have anti tilt pads? Thanks.[pop]

Cohibra45
11 September 2008, 18:45
Got it today!!!!!!!![:)][:)][:)]

Will have to wait till this weekend for pictures and range time.

Man, that was a loooooooooooooong wait!!!

Kelly

Paulo_Santos
7 October 2008, 17:35
I also ordered one of the Piston uppers. Hopefully it will be here by December.

21 October 2008, 18:40
Just saw one on Rainier's website a couple of days ago, and it's out of stock. Bummer.:(

Zulu
22 October 2008, 10:12
First time posting on the forum.
I found this on GunBroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=112975000), I like the Idea of a piston but I think I'll wait until all the bugs get worked out.

SHIHAN
24 October 2008, 18:11
I found this on GunBroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=112975000), I like the Idea of a piston but I think I'll wait until all the bugs get worked out.

Welcome to the forum. What bugs?

reiswigt
25 October 2008, 08:20
New to ARs. This forum seems to have great information without BS and attitude.

I am putting together my first AR and want to use a gas piston upper. I was thinking about ordering a POF upper, but have read good things about LMT. I can't find much info on their gas piston upper.

Any information or opinions would be appreciated.

Stickman
25 October 2008, 09:37

What bugs, and why link to a thread that wants over MSRP for the weapon?

You should be able to find the LMT MRP CQB 16 Rifle (Piston) for just shy $2k.

Stickman
25 October 2008, 09:38
New to ARs. This forum seems to have great information without BS and attitude.

I am putting together my first AR and want to use a gas piston upper. I was thinking about ordering a POF upper, but have read good things about LMT. I can't find much info on their gas piston upper.

Any information or opinions would be appreciated.

LMT puts out a quality product, and with the election right around the corner, its going to be hard for most dealers to keep weapons in stock. I have a POF that I have heavily abused, and I've had great results from it.

reiswigt
27 October 2008, 13:08
Any opinions about PWS? I was ready to order a POF upper, and then I saw a PWS this weekend. There are a couple of things I like about it. I haven't gotten to touch and feel a POF, so not 100% certain yet.

TigerStripe
1 November 2008, 18:44
I have a POF and it works well. I have a PWS designed licensed manufacturer's PWS upper (to test and review) which looks good but I haven't done anything to it other than field strip it. The LMT looks like a good system as well.

TS

reiswigt
10 January 2009, 09:58
TigerStripe, how is the PWS review coming along?
Does any one know if LMT's MRP requires the use of only LMT barrels, or can other manufacturers barrels be used?

Stickman
10 January 2009, 10:24
reiswigt,

I did a lot of work with the PWS prototype, and it was outstanding. I've not done much with the PWS production model, but probably should. The PWS system is used by Rainier Arms and Addax (and I think a couple others) to build complete uppers, which says something about them.

Paulo_Santos
10 January 2009, 11:24
TigerStripe, how is the PWS review coming along?
Does any one know if LMT's MRP requires the use of only LMT barrels, or can other manufacturers barrels be used?

The LMT requires the use of their own barrels.

Bryant
19 October 2009, 06:59
Hey guys I know this is an old thread but there is a dealer on www.sturmgewehr.com selling these LMT piston variants for $1600 right now. I guess the market is finally going soft on these as well. If I didn't own two LMT's I might pick one up- or may do so anyway for that price.

FYI I've fired, and ran recently the Ruger 556- it's way over gassed it seems and extremely front heavy, more so than my SIG556 (known for being front heavy) or my LMT with an ARES GSR-35/Vltor Cas-V El.