PDA

View Full Version : slide locking back every 5 rounds or so on my G17. weird.

fuse
14 November 2010, 17:55
I am not sure if I am riding the slide release up,

or the spring that pushes it down lost tension,

or when I put the slide release back in I somehow put it in wrong.

its a stock glock extended slide release that I installed. It was happening the last time I shot it two weeks ago, so I took it out and stretched the spring to give it more tension. I didn't have this malfunction as much tonight, but it still happened a few times.

any ideas?

bkb0000
14 November 2010, 21:30
my bet is you're hitting it while firing.. this is pretty common, especially with the extended releases.

you don't ever want to "stretch" springs, by the way... thats about the worst thing for 'em.

blow a few mags one-handed.. if it stops, you have your answer.

Wondering Beard
15 November 2010, 15:40
+1

A mix of where you put your thumbs with an extended slide release produces such malfunctions 90% of the time.

As bkb0000 suggests, shoot it one handed to confirm that it is the problem.

For future two handed shooting (if the cause described above is the correct one), place your thumbs higher on the frame or even on the slide (it won't cause a malfunction in a Glock .. nor in most guns actually). Your thumbs may end up riding on top of the slide lock and thus you won't have the slide lock back on an empty mag, but I don't consider it that much of a problem on a fighting gun, if that's what your G17 is for.

The-S
15 November 2010, 15:42
buy a 1911 :)

Wondering Beard
15 November 2010, 16:19
[:D]

So long as there's no extended slide release.

Rootshot
15 November 2010, 21:19
I have had a similar issue with a stock slide release. It was reassembly error after I disassembled the lower to install a match trigger. If I remember right, the slide release spring has to rest on a pin to get the force it needs to stay down. Without this, it can flip up from recoil and lock the slide open.

--Rootshot

cmoore
26 November 2010, 08:51
The spring rests below the locking block pin for proper tension....it acts as a fulcrum point...