PDA

View Full Version : LWRC Piston Rifles,,Who has one?

Stocks
19 November 2010, 23:00
I don't. But Many people I work with are carrying the LWRC Piston gun. I have the Colt 6940 and I hate to say, but the guys shooting the LWRC's are faster and cleaner. I have not seen one jam on the range. They appear to be a superior rifle.

Is LWRC going to be the new standard for gas piston rifles? A lot of people are buying them. I think Gas Impingement will be a thing of the past.

Anyone hear if Colt will be coming out with a Piston rifle soon?

My SA58 is another reliable example of a gas piston rifle. They have been Around for a long time, but not in the AR/M4 world!

Paulo_Santos
20 November 2010, 02:08
I have the LMT. I know someone who has 7 LWRC's and he swears by them. He uses them for SWAT and Patrol. He actually carries the 6.8 for duty. LWRC makes a great piston gun and I wouldn't hesitate to get one for duty if I was allowed to. I was going to get a LWRC, but I got the LMT because I wasn't sure about the piston AR at the time and if I didn't like it, I could just swap it out with a DI barrel.

UDT
20 November 2010, 05:24
I have ond and a LMT also. JMO but I prefer the LMT. No proplems with either but the LMT just feels better to me.

Specialized Armament
20 November 2010, 06:59
I don't. But Many people I work with are carrying the LWRC Piston gun. I have the Colt 6940 and I hate to say, but the guys shooting the LWRC's are faster and cleaner. I have not seen one jam on the range. They appear to be a superior rifle.

Is LWRC going to be the new standard for gas piston rifles? A lot of people are buying them. I think Gas Impingement will be a thing of the past.

My SA58 is another reliable example of a gas piston rifle. They have been Around for a long time, but not in the AR/M4 world!

Who are the "guys" and what exactly is "cleaner and faster"?

Appearences can be deceiving.

"Be careful what you ask for, it may land on you." L. Emrius Pulcher

TripleBravo
20 November 2010, 10:22
The LWRCi Cambridge, Maryland facility is about an hour and a half from me. A few months back I went with a fellow officer there to take a tour of the facility and try out some of their rifles on their range. I’ll try to relay some of what I experienced and observed…

The parent company actually manufactures a few things to include milk crates. I mention this because it’s kind of funny taking a tour of this particular facility. Most of it revolves around firearm manufacturing, but smack dab in the middle are two machines that crank out nothing but milk crates. It’s kind of interesting to see how they’re made too.

At any rate, they have a design team that work full time at improving components. While they seem very knowledgeable and very skilled, this was one concerning factor for me. I saw three different versions of the bolt carrier design on one of the desks. Tweaking with a design that is already in production always seems, to me at least, like it can cause you some problems. How many LWRC rifles are out there with how many different bolt carrier designs?

LWRCi produces their hammer forged barrels in house from 41V45 steel alloy. They do not chrome line them which allows them to remain more accurate. They claim sub MOA accuracy with an extremely long barrel life due to the NiCorr surface treatment. (Recent testing by our Department’s own SWAT team of the LWRCi 7.62 REPER showed them to be consistently sub MOA accurate.) They are also playing with different barrel designs that have waffle patterns and twist patterns to reduce weight but maintain rigidity. They look cool, but take a ton of time to machine…so they must be expensive.

As many of you know, LWRCi rifles have a two piece rail design. The upper part of the rail must be removable so that you can access the piston components for service and cleaning. They claim that the rail returns to zero every time (ie. If you had a laser mounted on the top rail) but this is something I’d want to not take their word for…and test myself.

The piston system itself has a number of parts, which is one of the constant digs on piston systems in general. In fact, one of the rifles at the range was found to have a broken component when the piston disassembly was being demo’d.

LWRCi’s own range, bye the way, is on the company owner’s large piece of land along part of Maryland’s Chesapeake Bay. You drive right by his house to get to it. At the range I had the opportunity to shoot several of the 5.56 rifles and two of the 7.62 REPERs.

Now I’m not a piston system hater, but it adds way too much felt recoil in a 7.62 AR platform in my opinion. I am no fan of the REPER platform.That thing kicked like a mule.

All the 5.56 rifles, however, shot well with no more added recoil than other piston systems I own and shoot. I just don’t like that you are married to their rail system, and I worry about all the design tweaks.

Our SWAT snipers are buying six of those mule kicking REPERs though. We’ll see how that works out.

skd_tactical
20 November 2010, 11:29
I have the LMT MRP 16" piston and an LWRCi M6A2. I love both. If I had to choose one, I don't know which it would be. Everything about the LWRCi is flawless, fit, finish, workmanship, their sweet NiCorr coating. It's a dream to clean. That being said, I have never taken the piston apart since it's been to the range. I don't like removing my optics, flashlight, sling swivels, etc. I have a couple thousand rounds throught it without any issues. That's the one downside in my eyes it the LWRCi's rail system psiton access. That's the only downside I have found. It's the only rilfe I have never had a jam in.

When I compete, go to the range, and such, I use my LMT though. I LOVE the ability to remove the barrel, and swap between DI and Piston systems. It is a tight fight on ALL my lowers though. My LMT looks like hell...... I have posted a few pics here and there and people are always asking me why I shoot a rifle, that from afar, looks like a beater. I use all my rilfes as a "battle rifle," and I don't own any "Race Guns," so eventually the LWRCi will look like crap too. I have all single stage triggers.,and stay as close to mil-spec as possible, because that's what I grew up with in the Army. If you buy the LWRCi, you will love it. I have no doubts about it. I have had the LMT for a while and it may just be that it's what I'm used to.

SOS

Paulo_Santos
20 November 2010, 11:43
LMT's are very tight. It is a known issue and very annoying. I have to use a screwdriver or punch to separate the upper from the lower.

TripleBravo
20 November 2010, 19:02
LMT's are very tight. It is a known issue and very annoying. I have to use a screwdriver or punch to separate the upper from the lower.

I haven't had that problem. My LMT is paired up with a lower made for another company by LMT, so maybe that's why I don't have that issue.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/HDR%20images/LMTfde-01.jpg

tac40
20 November 2010, 20:21
I ran one at a Magpul carbine class, no problems-shot 700rds of 556 55 grn ammo. LWRCi offered several different BCG since I last used that upper. Rob S wrote an article in the latest Combat Arms magazine, gas piston vs DI. I did like the fact I didn't spend time cleaning up the BCG on the gas piston. I haven't made my mind up yet on gas vs DI . A foot note, I have 2 Colt DI rilfes and they work fine.

Stocks
21 November 2010, 11:50
Specialized Armament MAnufacturer,,,to answer your questions,,,,,

The guys are Sheriff Deputies assigned to our Narcotics and Special Enforcement Team. They claim the piston rifle is a faster shooting rifle. After shooting the same number of rounds I shot with my COLT (400) we pulled the BCG's. The Piston BCG assembly did not have any carbon deposits and was just a wipe with a rag to clean it. The Gas Piston system appears to be a superior system over the Gas Impingement system. Gas Piston rifles have been here for decades and I do not understand why they were not introduced to the M4's a long time ago.

Don't get me wrong, I totally dig my GI/M4 rifles. I have 4 of them and they have not failed me. The only thing I don't like it the carbon build up and difficulty in cleaning.

Another Fact about the Gas Piston M4 is that many U.S. Army Special Operations soldiers use the H&K 416 gas piston M4 because they say it is more reliable a gun in the envirnment they fight in. They would know best!

AR-10
21 November 2010, 21:25
Someone did introduce them a long time ago.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5715/rhino1k.jpg

Eric
21 November 2010, 22:15
LWRCi produces their hammer forged barrels in house from 41V45 steel alloy.
That's impressive. That machinery is hard to come by and crazy expensive.

ConradEOD
23 November 2010, 07:25
I just got my first LWRC 2 weeks ago - posted in the "explain your AR" thread (pg 22). I played around with them for quite a while before finally getting one, but everything about them is amazing. I haven't fired mine yet, but I have no doubt it will function just as well as every other one out there! Wonderful rifles!

markm
24 November 2010, 18:14

This thread STINKS of the classic LWRC shill threads started by A holes affiliated with those scam artists. No offense if I'm wrong. But I've heard of and seen nothing but problems with their junk guns. The only good thing LWRC produces is LIES about their products.

barakmd
24 November 2010, 23:36
This thread STINKS of the classic LWRC shill threads started by A holes affiliated with those scam artists. No offense if I'm wrong. But I've heard of and seen nothing but problems with their junk guns. The only good thing LWRC produces is LIES about their products.

Can you elaborate on your experiences with the problems you've had with LWRC rifles? I'd like to know because I own one and I have been seriously considering having it take the place of my current duty rifle at work.

Specialized Armament
25 November 2010, 06:48
Specialized Armament MAnufacturer,,,to answer your questions,,,,,

The guys are Sheriff Deputies assigned to our Narcotics and Special Enforcement Team. They claim the piston rifle is a faster shooting rifle. After shooting the same number of rounds I shot with my COLT (400) we pulled the BCG's. The Piston BCG assembly did not have any carbon deposits and was just a wipe with a rag to clean it. The Gas Piston system appears to be a superior system over the Gas Impingement system. Gas Piston rifles have been here for decades and I do not understand why they were not introduced to the M4's a long time ago.

Don't get me wrong, I totally dig my GI/M4 rifles. I have 4 of them and they have not failed me. The only thing I don't like it the carbon build up and difficulty in cleaning.

Another Fact about the Gas Piston M4 is that many U.S. Army Special Operations soldiers use the H&K 416 gas piston M4 because they say it is more reliable a gun in the envirnment they fight in. They would know best!

What they claim is irrelevant. What they can prove should be the basis of their claims. Your use of the word "appears" is also problematic as it is anecdotal in nature.

400 rounds is statistical sample of zero. Let's talk when you hit 10K.

Paulo_Santos
25 November 2010, 09:05
What they claim is irrelevant. What they can prove should be the basis of their claims. Your use of the word "appears" is also problematic as it is anecdotal in nature.

400 rounds is statistical sample of zero. Let's talk when you hit 10K.

He was comparing the amount of carbon deposited after 400 rounds. My LMT Piston after 1000 rounds looks like my DI after about 50 rounds. It has over 10k already with no problems.

Paulo_Santos
25 November 2010, 09:08
Regarding the LWRC AR's, they make great guns. Yes, they had growing pains, but that is behind them.

mjkeat
26 November 2010, 18:10
I too have had a LWRC for 2 years now w/o any problems.

rob_s
26 November 2010, 19:21
I too have had a LWRC for 2 years now w/o any problems.

Length of ownership is pretty irrelevant. I know a guy that has a porsche in a garage for 25 years with less than 100 miles on it. He has no idea how it drives and couldn't tell you the first thing about how reliable it is.

mjkeat
27 November 2010, 07:38
Length of ownership is pretty irrelevant. I know a guy that has a porsche in a garage for 25 years with less than 100 miles on it. He has no idea how it drives and couldn't tell you the first thing about how reliable it is.

Very true. Though I may not put a grand through it every weekend I have and regularly get the barrel to put off that beautiful white haze.

Jerry R
27 November 2010, 09:55
I currently have three DI's and one LWRC. The LWRC M6A3 is the only factory build in the safe. I like them all. However, I like the LWRC enough that my Form-4 went pending September 30th for another M6A3, this one is an SBR (10.5" also in 6.8). I have found the LWRC to be reliable - zero malf's thus far - and shoots sub point fours with Hornady 110 JHP Match.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/LWRCI%2068-SPC/IMG_1205Leftw-Leupold300-PPISize-1.jpg

johnson
29 November 2010, 07:15
For owners of an LWRC, are the gas keys staked? At a recent 4 hour carbine class (~300 round count) there was a rifle that was completely inoperable because the key came off the carrier. The owner said it wasn't staked from the factory but I did not get a good look at it.

Paulo_Santos
29 November 2010, 07:26
For owners of an LWRC, are the gas keys staked? At a recent 4 hour carbine class (~300 round count) there was a rifle that was completely inoperable because the key came off the carrier. The owner said it wasn't staked from the factory but I did not get a good look at it.

How old was the LWRC? They haven't used a gas key in years. LWRC and most piston AR's now use a 1-piece carrier, which eliminates the gas key. PWS is the only current company that uses a 2-piece carrier because the rod is attached to the carrier.

johnson
29 November 2010, 07:41
I will try to get in contact with the owner.

chrish03
9 December 2010, 01:18
I love the Gas Piston Operating system in P.O.F. P415 18" MRR. I never have to clean it and I get nothing but positive comments at the range. POF is truly operating in a class of their own. I have shot rifles that would be considered POF's competitors and the POF (not just because I own one) has always been the top performer, most aesthetically innovative and unique, and flawless in its accuracy. I think the LWRC rifles are over priced, and lack any features that make it stand out among other AR's. The POF runs amazingly smoother, faster, and with less recoil than my standard AR15 Gas Impingement system in my Vltor MUR Upper. I went from a C3 Defense Billet upper/lower to a Vltor MUR upper/ POF Lower because I feel those two companies are at the top of the list for AR15 components and weapon systems.

Paulo_Santos
9 December 2010, 03:36
I love the Gas Piston Operating system in P.O.F. P415 18" MRR. I never have to clean it and I get nothing but positive comments at the range. POF is truly operating in a class of their own. I have shot rifles that would be considered POF's competitors and the POF (not just because I own one) has always been the top performer, most aesthetically innovative and unique, and flawless in its accuracy. I think the LWRC rifles are over priced, and lack any features that make it stand out among other AR's. The POF runs amazingly smoother, faster, and with less recoil than my standard AR15 Gas Impingement system in my Vltor MUR Upper. I went from a C3 Defense Billet upper/lower to a Vltor MUR upper/ POF Lower because I feel those two companies are at the top of the list for AR15 components and weapon systems.

POF has some of the most accurate off the shelf rifles, period. The Mike Rock barrels are some of he best. I just wish they used a differet rail that didn't raise the optics by 1/2".

B4RAZ
9 December 2010, 17:43
Good to hear. My form 4 just came back on my 11.5'' P415. Cant wait to put some rounds down range! Im still on the fence about piston systems. On paper they seem to be superior but now that I own will I guess Ill find out for myself.